ARM shows possibly iPhone-bound multicore mobile processor

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

First of all, I think it is irresponsible for the author of this article not to even mention the (single core only - in-order processing) ARM Cortex-A8, which is the direct successor to the ARM 11, and which is already available in many system-on-a-chips from the likes of T.I. (OMAP3), Qualcomm, Samsung, etc. The Cortex-A9 is the successor of A8, and not only adds multi-core support, but the cores are an out-of-order processing evolution of the A8.

Anyways, my point is that it is very unlikely the very next iPhone will use a Cortex-A9 because they are not even sampling yet, and production system-on-a-chips utilizing the cores won't even be in production until Q2 2010. (See T.I. OMAP4).

It is MUCH MORE likely the next iPhone will use a chip with the ARM Cortex-A8 which though limited to single core, is twice as fast as an ARM11 at the same clock speed, and which run at between 600-1000+Mhz. This core is used in the T.I. OMAP3 series which is used in the new Palm Pre..

My thoughts exactly. The A9 is 2 generations away from the current ARM11 in the iPhone. The next iPhone will be A8 for sure.... and there is alot of be excited about in the A8 itself. After seeing what Palm was able to put together using it, I'm really excited to see what possibilities it opens for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 31
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by utsava View Post

After seeing what Palm was able to put together using it, I'm really excited to see what possibilities it opens for Apple.

Yeah, maybe they'll figure out how to forward contact details via SMS and how to implement copy and paste
  • Reply 23 of 31
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by desarc View Post

personally, i just want a2dp in my next iphone.

You can already get it (in addition to AVRCP) with these adapters:

8Bananas BD-906

Wi-Gear MA110

Sony TMR-BT8IP

Though I agree that it would be nice to have it built-in.
  • Reply 24 of 31
    Having more processing power and/or multicore really isn't the big limitation I see on the iPhone -- the amount of RAM is. That and being able to properly share the audio output device. Those are the two limitations I'd like to see Apple address.
  • Reply 25 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by auxio View Post

You can already get it (in addition to AVRCP) with these adapters:

8Bananas BD-906

Wi-Gear MA110

Sony TMR-BT8IP

Though I agree that it would be nice to have it built-in.

I personally don't want to use a dongle to do the job, it's too risky to the dock connector.
  • Reply 26 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

I personally don't want to use a dongle to do the job, it's too risky to the dock connector.

???

That's like saying I don't want to attach any USB devices to my computer because they might damage the USB port. The iPod/iPhone dock connector specification is well known and there are many 3rd parties building hardware to connect to it.

Sure you may drain the battery faster, but that's a price I'm willing to pay to be able to use my iPhone with something like this:

Burton/RED Audex Ear Pads
  • Reply 27 of 31
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

???

That's like saying I don't want to attach any USB devices to my computer because they might damage the USB port. The iPod/iPhone dock connector specification is well known and there are many 3rd parties building hardware to connect to it.

It's not so simple. Unless you're Sony showing off a lame ad campaign, or you're someone mocking Sony's ad campaign, you're not going to put the computer in your pocket. At the desktop, it's no problem, not only is it a very short connector, and it's not in my pocket with leverage. With those adapters, you get a big bulky dongle "on the go" and you need some way to keep it from flexing out of alignment of the main body. To make it a comparable situation, stick a USB flash drive into your notebook computer, don't remove it, and carry it around, and see how comfortable you are with that.

I didn't say that bluetooth audio wasn't attractive, I want it too, it just needs to be done better than that.
  • Reply 28 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

With those adapters, you get a big bulky dongle "on the go" and you need some way to keep it from flexing out of alignment of the main body.

ok, I agree on the dongle flex/snap problem.

I guess I just never put my iPhone in my pants pocket as I find it uncomfortable, and I usually have some form of jacket with a pocket I can put it into. So the extra dongle isn't a problem. But then maybe it's because I live in Canada and there's only a few months out of the year where I don't have a coat of some type on or with me.

Now using the iPhone with gloves on... that's a real problem for Canadians.
  • Reply 29 of 31
    Quote:

So the extra dongle isn't a problem.

It may not be a problem, but doesn't it seem a bit absurd and wasteful to have to attach a dongle containing a bluetooth chip when the iPhone has already got a bluetooth chip? It's high time Apple gave the iPhone a full Bluetooth stack. You would have thought that Apple could make some decent wireless earphones too - seems like a missed money-making opportunity to me.
  • Reply 30 of 31
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Wireless bluetooth stereo headsets don't necessarily work that well. Your body can easily block the signal. Bluetooth stereo headsets haven't taken off as a popular product, they are of no threat to wired headsets at all.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

It may not be a problem, but doesn't it seem a bit absurd and wasteful to have to attach a dongle containing a bluetooth chip when the iPhone has already got a bluetooth chip? It's high time Apple gave the iPhone a full Bluetooth stack. You would have thought that Apple could make some decent wireless earphones too - seems like a missed money-making opportunity to me.

• Reply 31 of 31
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

Bluetooth stereo headsets haven't taken off as a popular product, they are of no threat to wired headsets at all.

Most of them look pretty ugly. You would have thought that Apple, with its design expertise, could do a better job, and charge a premium.

Delivering a full bluetooth stack isn't just about A2DP, but about synching/data transfer and peripheral usage. The iPhone has decent video out; if there was a full bluetooth stack you could hook the iPhone to a TV/projector (via the dock connector) and to a bluetooth keyboard/mouse.