Flash on the iPhone again sounding like wishful thinking

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    rbrrbr Posts: 631member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by emulator View Post

that's why we use firefox with noscript. all the other browsers are useless.

that the iPhone is pretty much useless as an internet device without Flash capability. There are more web sites out there than most people are aware which use Flash for everything from buttons to selecting the region to load the support information and other basic functions without which you are unable to access the web site in any useful fashion.

As the article comments, Apple is just now trying to get Flash off their own web site.

Sure, many web sites use grandiose, over produced Flash presentations that serve no good purpose, but without Flash, you most assuredly are NOT accessing "all the web" as Apple likes to claim.

Firefox with Flashblock is very enlightening as to just how widespread the use of Flash is.

Without Flash, or a way around it, the iPhone is crippled in my experience which makes it a nice concept which is fatally flawed.

An Apple netbook or "travel companion" with a full OS X install would be vastly more interesting to me. Get the apps ported to run on OS X as well as the iPhone OS and "there you go".
  • Reply 62 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by treymaier View Post

There is only one reason Apple is doing this - to preserve QuickTime's relevance. They can't get that to work on the phone without draining the battery so the don't want to help Adobe. Period. Adobe should get antitrust regulators involved as they are in Europe and will b/c of restrictions around the AppStore!

Indeed!
  • Reply 63 of 79
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RBR View Post

Without Flash, or a way around it, the iPhone is crippled in my experience which makes it a nice concept which is fatally flawed.

Wow, in which case Apple has been pretty successful with this 'totally flawed' product.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Quote:

that the iPhone is pretty much useless as an internet device without Flash capability. There are more web sites out there than most people are aware which use Flash for everything from buttons to selecting the region to load the support information and other basic functions without which you are unable to access the web site in any useful fashion.

This used to be more of the case, but its not true anymore. Flash is not that ubiquitous. The only place Flash is missed is in streaming video.

Quote:

As the article comments, Apple is just now trying to get Flash off their own web site.

Apple has had no flash in its website for a few years now.

Quote:

Firefox with Flashblock is very enlightening as to just how widespread the use of Flash is.

If flash is so important to the web experience why would their be a need to block it?

Quote:

The only people who say this are people who don't own and use the iPhone. Once you use it regularly, the only place flash is missed is in streaming video.
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JavaCowboy View Post

How does this solve the problem of RIAs on the desktop?

The target platform is the iPhone. Cocoa/ObjC native apps covered.

The target platform is the Web Browser: HTML5/XHTML2/CSS2&3/SVG/Rich Client Javascript APIs covered.

Both have interfaces to data pools? Yes. check.

The target platform is Mac OS X: Cocoa/ObjC native apps covered.

All three have interfaces to the same data pools? Yes. check.

Done.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    Really!

Almost all advertisements are done with flash. iPhone doesn't show them and thank's to a flash blocker my Safari doesn't either. We should continue to support flash since without it, it won't be that easy to get rid of ads.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This used to be more of the case, but its not true anymore. Flash is not that ubiquitous. The only place Flash is missed is in streaming video.

Apple has had no flash in its website for a few years now.

If flash is so important to the web experience why would their be a need to block it?

The only people who say this are people who don't own and use the iPhone. Once you use it regularly, the only place flash is missed is in streaming video.

I regret to inform you that your assertions are simply not correct.

Without Flash, the iPhone is, sadly, little more than a toy when it comes to the web. It most assuredly does NOT access "the entire web" as Apple has asserted.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Without Flash, the iPhone is, sadly, little more than a toy when it comes to the web. It most assuredly does NOT access "the entire web" as Apple has asserted.

Not many toys allow me to access real news articles and check my bank accounts and pay bills et cetera...

By your definition, to access "the entire web" the iPhone would also have to have Java, Silverlight, ActiveX and EVERY OTHER plug-in that is available for "the entire web". That just isn't going to happen as no computer is going to have or need such access.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Not many toys allow me to access real news articles and check my bank accounts and pay bills et cetera...

By your definition, to access "the entire web" the iPhone would also have to have Java, Silverlight, ActiveX and EVERY OTHER plug-in that is available for "the entire web". That just isn't going to happen as no computer is going to have or need such access.

That's what Steve claimed.

In my experience with a 3G iPhone, I was unable to access many web sites which I ordinarily used. It is a fundamentally flawed device.
  • Reply 70 of 79
    Quote:

In my experience with a 3G iPhone, I was unable to access many web sites which I ordinarily used. It is a fundamentally flawed device.

That only proves that you are not the primary consumer for the device, not that it's "fundamentally flawed." If you need a phone that can do the internet with Flash Lite but without being able to render pages with full HTML, JS and CSS, then the handset is not for you. the idea that having flash would make it less of a toy is laughable, at best, considering that Flash is the toy of the internet. HTML provides the substance and Flash, well, the Flash.

I don't need Flash-based sites, except for Hulu and Comedy Central, but that isn't relevant to the discussion because Flash Lite can't play those videos either. What I do need is competent HTML, JS and CSS rendering, which is greatly provided for with WebKit. A "toy" would need Flash to play games and such, not for mobile banking and the like. If any company I do business with decided that using Flash for secure access to their site was the way to go I would stop doing business with them, with or without Flash on the iPhone.

Luckily for you, all the other cellphone OSes are finally moving to include real browsers. Like it or not, you have Apple's iPhone to thank for that. WebKit is pretty dominate in terms of number of OSes supporting it, but I feel that Fennec, which is the mobile version of FireFox, should be quite nice when it finally arrives. I think it will take a dominate percentage of all mobile devices. MS is actually upping IE for WinMo, too.

PS: Did you read the reports about Adobe is having trouble making a viable version of Flash on the iPhone? Have you seen the CPU usage, on any OS, when using Flash on a site?
  • Reply 71 of 79
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Web authors have always had to take their client platforms into account. While desktops are the clients there's certainly an incentive to use heavy extensions to the Web (if it's part of the Web, show me the W3C standard that defines it) like Flash. But with mobile devices taking off they're just going to have to shift away, at least as an option, because none of these devices are going to have the half-dozen plugins that the designers seem to think that it's reasonable for people to have.

I've never seen a Flash site that offered anything in terms of features and usability that you couldn't replicate with HTML/CSS. Maybe it would come out simpler, maybe it wouldn't have so many things autostarting, maybe it wouldn't take a minute to load either. But the nice thing about shedding Flash and Silverlight and its companions in favor of standards is that your site reaches more clients than it would otherwise have, because you're making fewer assumptions about what enhancements they have in addition to a basic browser.
  • Reply 72 of 79
    First time poster and owner of a lovely iPhone :-)

There is nothing technically stopping Flash on the iPhone, I know it works and I know it exists. The problem is simple that Apple will not allow it for a variety of reasons - you allow Flash on the iPhone you will nigh on overnight take away the validity of the App Store for a large portion of the games - it is a revenue issue which Apple is not willing to give up...
  • Reply 73 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by feersum.engine View Post

There is nothing technically stopping Flash on the iPhone, I know it works and I know it exists. The problem is simple that Apple will not allow it for a variety of reasons - you allow Flash on the iPhone you will nigh on overnight take away the validity of the App Store for a large portion of the games - it is a revenue issue which Apple is not willing to give up...

Welcome to AI.

That train of thought seems to be incorrect from many of the articles that have been posted around. Adobe can't seem to make an optimized version of Flash for OS X and can only seem to muster an old and essentially useless version of flash, expect for Flash-based adverts, for ARM-based devices. How many web games are Flash 7 compliant? how many of these games will scale to fit a mobile device?

Anecdotally speaking, it seems that any real Flash sites need a modern version and sites that utilize it heavily aren't even considering smaller displays as I've had issues with my netbook being able to show an entire page in Flash.

There is no way that a local game made in Obj-C that can utilize the CPU, GPU, accelerometer, etc. on the iPhone could ever be outmatched by a Flash-based game running on a web-browser. Besides performance, the battery drain from a Flash game would be immense.

Apple seems to have no problem with Flash, but rather a poor implementation of Flash. If Flash was so simple to add to the iPhone then why is Adobe struggling so much to make a viable version for ARM-based mobile devices?
  • Reply 74 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    While they're at it Adobe might want to explain why they want every Internet user on earth to be forced to use their products.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by treymaier View Post

Adobe should get antitrust regulators involved as they are in Europe and will b/c of restrictions around the AppStore!

A friend wanted to set up a gmail account for her Blackberry Storm, unfortunately Google advised her to use a browser installed on a desktop to set it up.

I went to the same site on my iPhone, set up a new email address for her then she was able to add the new email account to her Blackberry.

It's remarkable how well "toys" perform when compared to "business phones".

Quote:

Would you mind pointing me to the Flash versions of games like Asphalt 4, Hero of Sparta, I love Katamari, Brothers in Arms, Silent Hill, Sim City, Crash Cart Racing, Billy Frontier, Flick Fishing and others I have installed on my iPhone

Quote:
    Originally Posted by feersum.engine View Post

- you allow Flash on the iPhone you will nigh on overnight take away the validity of the App Store for a large portion of the games

• Reply 75 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Would you mind pointing me to the Flash versions of games like Asphalt 4, Hero of Sparta, I love Katamari, Brothers in Arms, Silent Hill, Sim City, Crash Cart Racing, Billy Frontier, Flick Fishing and others I have installed on my iPhone

True enough, what I mean is that for some of the let's say "crappy" apps which do take up a large portion of the app space can be done in Flash and hence could add up to revenue.

it is a classic case of good versus evil (in whatever angle you come in ;-). I love my iPhone etc but would I love Flash on it - yes I would as Flash is ubuqituous and is a valid content delivery mechanism and a browser without it is incomplete in my eyes. Same with Siverlight..

Again, just my $0.02 ;-)
  • Reply 76 of 79
    The way this thread seems to be going, I might be the only one that really wants Flash capabilities.

Not so much for games, but for the breadth of streaming video sites out there. Not all of them are willing to make H264 based app versions.
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Quote:

While they're at it Adobe might want to explain why they want every Internet user on earth to be forced to use their products.

A friend wanted to set up a gmail account for her Blackberry Storm, unfortunately Google advised her to use a browser installed on a desktop to set it up.

I went to the same site on my iPhone, set up a new email address for her then she was able to add the new email account to her Blackberry.

It's remarkable how well "toys" perform when compared to "business phones".

Your reference to games is interesting, but is completely off topic. Flash on the web is the topic. Many web sites use Flash for everything from maps from which to choose your country for support to buttons to navigate the site with. Not every use of Flash is for the grotesquely overproduced Flash videos that strain most internet connections and much hardware.

Install Firefox and the the Flash block add-on (and enable it). You will then see just how much Flash there is on the web and how you are unable to make use of a great many web sites without it.

I will repeat, without Flash you can not experience "all the web" as promised by Steve himself.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your gaming activities.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    I use "click to flash" in Safari.

Here's an experiment for you to try, install iStat on a modern Mac and check your temperature then open a Flash heavy site, Farmville on Facebook is a good example.

Now as you hear your fans whir to life have a look at the CPU temp in iStat, I usually get a 20°C difference.

Flash is sh*t!

The sooner it's gone the better.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

Now any web developer worth their salt will know that in order to capture visits from arguably the most widely used mobile web browsing platform that they'd better dump the Flash or be ignored.

The only mobile platform with a usable non-lite form of Flash is the Nokia N900, running Maemo 5 and Fennec (released 9 months after this thread started) it uses 9.2 so is compatible with ActionScript 2 based content, Adobe is yet to release Flash 10 for mobile but they are working on it, it will be compatible with ActionScript 3 content.

Developers will need to update older sites for compatibility AND buy more software from Adobe in order to do so = profit for Adobe.

Quote:

Your reference to games is interesting, but is completely off topic. Flash on the web is the topic. Many web sites use Flash for everything from maps from which to choose your country for support to buttons to navigate the site with. Not every use of Flash is for the grotesquely overproduced Flash videos that strain most internet connections and much hardware.

Install Firefox and the the Flash block add-on (and enable it). You will then see just how much Flash there is on the web and how you are unable to make use of a great many web sites without it.

I will repeat, without Flash you can not experience "all the web" as promised by Steve himself.

This has absolutely nothing to do with your gaming activities.

• Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:

I use "click to flash" in Safari.

Here's an experiment for you to try, install iStat on a modern Mac and check your temperature then open a Flash heavy site, Farmville on Facebook is a good example.

Now as you hear your fans whir to life have a look at the CPU temp in iStat, I usually get a 20°C difference.

Flash is sh*t!

The sooner it's gone the better.

http://www.youtube.com/html5

A balanced test would have to show the comparison of using HTML5, CSS and JS instead of Flash for the same general result. So far, the only real benefits I?ve seen is from using the HTML 5 <video> and <audio> tags, HTTP Live Streaming and embedded A/V like using QuickTime in YouTube instead of Flash. Granted, these are huge benefits over Flash-based setups.

For interactive sites, like Farmville, even if open source code could be implemented as easily it does appear to be as pricessor heavy as Flash at this time, if not more so. Not sure about Silverlight but it does seem to fare better than Flash on the Mac in many respects.

Here are some demos of HTML5?s Canvas element. My CPU spikes more and my CPU temp shoots up faster. I don?t expect to see many sites using this for some time.
    Once WebGL becomes standard maybe things will change. I figure that will be standard in Safari before Adobe even has Flash for Mac with HW acceleration. \