Video of claimed next-gen Mac Mini surfaces online

Comments

• Reply 101 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

The video appears to have been removed.

Nope, it's still showing. Not that it would need to be as further evidence of it being legitimate. The video itself is clear enough.

That fact that it's not just a shell but has fully fitted ports suggests to me that this refresh can come any time now.

Given that possible iMac chips are being launched tomorrow:

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?op...1680&Itemid=35

"On February 23rd, Intel is planning to launch an R0 revision of its Core 2 Quad Q8200 chip, which is currently using M1 stepping. Additionally, it plans to launch an energy efficient 65w TDP model of the same chip with the same stepping revision, the Q8200s, as we've mentioned previously.

These chips will be manufactured with "all green" materials and will now be halide free, which means no halogens or halide compounds such as bromine and antimony. This is just another one of Intel's steps to go above and beyond basic "lead-free" manufacturing to produce safer, smarter, and more energy-efficient technologies. "

This means that both Mini and iMac refresh can appear on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the iMac may not see a redesign but you never know.
  • Reply 102 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

Nope, it's still showing. Not that it would need to be as further evidence of it being legitimate. The video itself is clear enough.

That fact that it's not just a shell but has fully fitted ports suggests to me that this refresh can come any time now.

"On February 23rd, Intel is planning to launch an R0 revision of its Core 2 Quad Q8200 chip, which is currently using M1 stepping. Additionally, it plans to launch an energy efficient 65w TDP model of the same chip with the same stepping revision, the Q8200s, as we've mentioned previously.

These chips will be manufactured with "all green" materials and will now be halide free, which means no halogens or halide compounds such as bromine and antimony. This is just another one of Intel's steps to go above and beyond basic "lead-free" manufacturing to produce safer, smarter, and more energy-efficient technologies. "

This means that both Mini and iMac refresh can appear on Tuesday. Unfortunately, the iMac may not see a redesign but you never know.

I can''t play the video. I click play and it immediately goes to Stop and shows other videos that will play.

I would imagine with the Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro all over due for updates, as well as, a demo of Snow Leopard that was expected by many to be at MWSF, that Apple would hold a special event at Cupertino for the release of the new desktops. Not everything needs to be available at the end of the event. In fact, now that Apple's growth has become excessive I think it is in their favour to stagger the actual releases. This means they can announce and demo them while promising a self imposed future date to some of the products.
  • Reply 103 of 184
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Mini DVI is more flexible that Mini DP. If large part of the Mac mini's "mission" is to lure switchers into the light.

A big part o the sales pitch for the mini is to be able to use ALL your current peripherals, that includes the monitor.

Unless Apple suddenly gets religion and gives away the Mini DP adaptors (DVI and VGA), having to spend ANOTHER $30 on a display adaptor sours the taste.

How many switchers do you think have mini-DVI adaptor cables? I'm going to hazard a guess at a big round zero.

Unless the switcher is using an S-video or composite display, which one would presume a rarity, then mini-DP will be precisely as convenient as mini-DVI, and much more future-proof.
  • Reply 104 of 184
    It is a good point...the mini DVI to DVI adapter + mini DVI to VGA adapter should be included in the box...but that brings up the point of why both have both ports on the unit...IF...you could just include adapters that go from mini Display port to VGA or DVI?
  • Reply 105 of 184
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    I have to agree with the doubters. Why such a static video? All it shows is the thing being turned around and around. Why not flip it upside down? Why not show it in action by showing it running? That would absolutely silence anybody who thought it was fake. It really wouldn't be that hard to take the case top from an existing mini then add a fake back panel with connectors glued inside. Even without the CNC or machine tools available to design students, somebody with a hand file or Dremel, putty, paint and a couple of days could still modify an old mini's back panel to house nonfunctional connectors.

Quote:

Those are the wrong chips. Those are desktop chips you're pointing to. The iMac uses laptop chips. I can't see an iMac effectively dissipating 65w TDP anyway.
  • Reply 106 of 184
    Is it possible that they put an Intel Atom on it?
  • Reply 107 of 184
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

I have to agree with the doubters. Why such a static video? All it shows is the thing being turned around and around. Why not flip it upside down? Why not show it in action by showing it running? That would absolutely silence anybody who thought it was fake. It really wouldn't be that hard to take the case top from an existing mini then add a fake back panel with connectors glued inside. Even without the CNC or machine tools available to design students, somebody with a hand file or Dremel, putty, paint and a couple of days could still modify an old mini's back panel to house nonfunctional connectors.

I'd be shocked to find out that the unit in the video is a manually created mock up. It looks real to me but that doesn't mean it is the next Mini either as it could be an escaped prototype.

Quote:

Those are the wrong chips. Those are desktop chips you're pointing to. The iMac uses laptop chips. I can't see an iMac effectively dissipating 65w TDP anyway.

All this whining about how much power the IMac can handle is BS. Apple simple engineers a thermal solution to handle the chipsets in question. More so the iMac had a G5 in there at one time. In the past thermal solutions for the hotter processors often involved large fans to help the Aluminum heat sink cool the processor. It may very well be possible for Apple to use carbon nano tech to produce a heat sink that works well with a smaller fan. Every body has been thinking water cooling but I don't see Appple doing that in iMac.

The problem with iMac is that if they stay with a mobile processor they will be very far behind the performance curve for a whole year. IMac needs a faster processor than anything Intel can offer up from it's mobile line right now. That to fill the massive gap in performance they will have once the Mac Pro gets updated. It is either a much faster desktop based iMac or a new model "XMax".

Dave
  • Reply 108 of 184
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,435moderator
    Quote:

Why such a static video? All it shows is the thing being turned around and around. Why not flip it upside down?

There's nothing changed besides the ports, no reason to flip it over. They might not have an adaptor to hook it up to a display and the machine may not have a system installed.

Quote:

Why not show it in action by showing it running? That would absolutely silence anybody who thought it was fake.

No it wouldn't, even if the guy mailed it to those people, they'd still find something to complain about it. Even if he booted it up, they'd say, hey we can't see the cable exactly coming out the back going right into the display circuitry, maybe he has hard-wired the display cable from another machine into the back of the screen.

Quote:

It really wouldn't be that hard to take the case top from an existing mini then add a fake back panel with connectors glued inside. Even without the CNC or machine tools available to design students, somebody with a hand file or Dremel, putty, paint and a couple of days could still modify an old mini's back panel to house nonfunctional connectors.

If he's done that with a dremel, I hope he gets a job very soon because the alignment is spot on. I'd also like to know where he got a Mini-dp socket because AFAIK you only get them on Macbooks and Macbook Pros. A Mini-DVI one he could have picked up from an old laptop or iMac.

Anyway, it's way too much trouble to go to for what seems like zero gain. It's not as if the guy is saying who he is so he's not doing it for credit and he's posted it on a video sharing site so it's not for click-throughs. Why would he do this?

Quote:

The 3.06GHz Core 2 Extreme chips have a 55W TDP. A 65W TDP isn't a big stretch and the numbers aren't usually accurate. They will have to do much better cooling though because the desktop chips will shut down quicker. They put a desktop G5 chip in the iMac at one point without aluminium casing and it did suffer from shut-downs but they'll have to figure out how to do it. If they ship another set of dual core chips, their iMac just isn't worth the money. Desktop chips are a fraction of the price and I reckon it would allow them to make 24" models all round. The LED parts add to the cost but the common inventory parts should help lower them a bit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69

It looks real to me but that doesn't mean it is the next Mini either as it could be an escaped prototype.

Could be but the Mini was always the same spec as the Macbook and the Macbook redesign caused a price increase. The original white one is the same price as before. In order to keep the price point the same, there's no reason to redesign it. The top plastic shell could be replaced quite easily I guess but nothing major.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69

IMac needs a faster processor than anything Intel can offer up from it's mobile line right now.

Exactly, mobile chips are not progressing fast enough until the end of the year. With Core i7 desktops cropping up, before the next refresh, the iMac will look ridiculously bad next to a PC tower. They need to use quads and I think Apple may have asked them to make the low power desktop models.
  • Reply 109 of 184
    drboardrboar Posts: 477member
    The mini IS overpriced/underfeatured. The CPU is not that bad, sellng a "superdrive" that is unable to write to DVD ony to read them was OK for the B&W 300 MHz G3 back in 1999. Having a DVDROM 10 years later is

Integrated graphics of a budget version that is also is outdated to current budget versions

Absurdly small hard disks

memory limitations

Compared to this the CPU is acually one of the strong points

By replacing the top and bottom plastic of the case with metal better cooling and unified look would be had. I put my mini on small rubber feet so it "leviatate" about a 10-15mm above the desk, this also improves cooling (fold@home 24/7 for years). So there is room for much improvement with the current case.
  • Reply 110 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

I imagine that the power button is the way it is, so that people who use it in a home theater setup, can find it by feel.

Just like the ps2/3, xbox 1/360
  • Reply 111 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

HDMI only supports 1920 x 1080.

Any display of 24" or larger support 1920 a 1200 resolution, or more, and would NOT be fully supported by HDMI. DVI covers a much larger array of display possibilities than HDMI.

HDMI also transfers audio, but since the mini is considered a computer and not (necessarily) a multi-media type of device, it doesn't really make much sense to include it. Also, isn't one of HDMI's selling points copy protection/DRM?

Keep it, I say!

Do some research please

HDMI version \t1.0?1.2a \t1.3+

Maximum signal bandwidth (MHz) \t165 \t340

Maximum TMDS bandwidth (Gbit/s) \t4.95 \t10.2

Maximum video bandwidth (Gbit/s) \t3.96 \t8.16

Maximum audio bandwidth (Mbit/s) \t36.86 \t36.86

Maximum Color Depth (bit/px) \t24 \t48[A]

Maximum resolution over single link at 24-bit/px[B] \t1920×1200p60 \t2560×1600p75

Maximum resolution over single link at 30-bit/px[C] \tN/A \t2560×1600p60

Maximum resolution over single link at 36-bit/px[D] \tN/A \t1920x1200p75

Maximum resolution over single link at 48-bit/px[E] \tN/A \t1920×1200p60
  • Reply 112 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

The Mini is overpriced, because it's hardware sucks - 80 and 120 GB HDs are pathetically small in this day and age, 1 GB standard is pretty bad too, it's C2D is a couple generations old, not to mention the graphics chip, lack of full 4 GB RAM support, 802.11n, included Superdrive on all models.

The OS is great, iLife is just so so, but the HW is really, really bad at this point. For what it is, it shouldn't be more than $500 at the very most for the $800 model, the HW just is not up to par anymore.

Bad is not what I would describe the hardware to be. I have the base mini and do quite a lot with it. As for the size of the HD, I have a couple of external drives attached to my machine, as well as a time capsule, so storage is not an issue.

You have to understand that from my perspective, I don't feel as if Apple is gouging. I paid more money for my first DVD burner and I paid 10 times more money a few years ago for a G4 tower that didn't have the power of the current mini.

If you don't care about the OS, haven't got tons of legacy software, etc. then you don't look seriously at the mini. You can get a PC tower for similar money that specs out more impressively. But if the OS does matter and you refuse to buy the product because you think it's $100 too expensive, well then it's your loss.

By the way, if iLife is in your view just so so, are you saying that to get the same functionality in PC software, it would be easy to accomplish that for less than $100 because I'm not seeing that. The iLife package is excellent and meets a lot of people's needs. Obviously not yours and as such, clearly, you're not a potential Apple customer. That being the case, why should Apple waste its time trying to make you happy. You're not the target consumer that Apple designs its products for. Apple has never competed on price and if all you want is the cheapest computer you can get your hands on, lots of PC makers have products to suit you. If you're waiting for Apple to sell the cheapest machine in the market, don't hold your breath. It has never been Apple's intention to do so, something the company made crystal clear when addressing the media. Apple has never competed on price and doesn't pretend to. The company's marketing efforts are paying huge dividends and it allows the company to make a decent profit even now during an economic downturn.
  • Reply 113 of 184
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DHagan4755 View Post

It is a good point...the mini DVI to DVI adapter + mini DVI to VGA adapter should be included in the box...but that brings up the point of why both have both ports on the unit...IF...you could just include adapters that go from mini Display port to VGA or DVI?

Assuming this Mac Mini is real, thee only thing I can think of for having mDP and mDVI is push their mDP, but regulate a secondary display to only SL-DVI. This may be a strategic move or it may be a limitation of the GPU. We know that DP can handle daisy chaining of displays, but is the Nvidia iGPU used in the MB able to handle 2x 30" displays?
  • Reply 114 of 184
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    The Macbook Wheel is more real, seriously.
  • Reply 115 of 184
    I've been living with an old Mac Mini for some time now, and am basically waiting for the next big upgrade so that I can have Snow Leopard, all the new iLife, and whatever new design and upgrades Apple adds to the mini.

I like the rear panel on the video, what I would like to see is:

- better graphics

- new case design (like the darker ones in the mockup photos, maybe)

I like lots of USB (since I am currently using a hub), and FW 800 is cool. Can you adapt 800 to 400? (probably a dumb question) I have a FW400 recording interface right now.

Just a random guess.. maybe this is a prototype after the internal design was changed, but before any work was done on the physical design/appearance.
  • Reply 116 of 184
    Quote:

All this whining about how much power the IMac can handle is BS. Apple simple engineers a thermal solution to handle the chipsets in question. More so the iMac had a G5 in there at one time. In the past thermal solutions for the hotter processors often involved large fans to help the Aluminum heat sink cool the processor. It may very well be possible for Apple to use carbon nano tech to produce a heat sink that works well with a smaller fan. Every body has been thinking water cooling but I don't see Appple doing that in iMac.

The problem with iMac is that if they stay with a mobile processor they will be very far behind the performance curve for a whole year. IMac needs a faster processor than anything Intel can offer up from it's mobile line right now. That to fill the massive gap in performance they will have once the Mac Pro gets updated. It is either a much faster desktop based iMac or a new model "XMax".

Dave

Well, as usual, the Maestro nails it. That's it. Right there. Can Apple get beyond their design 1st, performance 2nd design cul-de-sac in the next iMac revision?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 117 of 184
    Quote:

The mini IS overpriced/underfeatured. The CPU is not that bad, sellng a "superdrive" that is unable to write to DVD ony to read them was OK for the B&W 300 MHz G3 back in 1999. Having a DVDROM 10 years later is

Integrated graphics of a budget version that is also is outdated to current budget versions

Absurdly small hard disks

memory limitations

Compared to this the CPU is acually one of the strong points

Hey, leave something for me to kick, will ya?

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 118 of 184
    Quote:

Exactly, mobile chips are not progressing fast enough until the end of the year. With Core i7 desktops cropping up, before the next refresh, the iMac will look ridiculously bad next to a PC tower. They need to use quads and I think Apple may have asked them to make the low power desktop models.

It's vital that they get the Nehalem into the consumer line. Yeesh. It's not difficult, every other PC vendor is doing it! And these days, not all those boxes are as ugly as they used to be either. Some of those PC towers are looking much nicer these days.

Desktop parts have never been cheaper. They have no excuse for not having the quad cpu, a decent gpu, decent ram and hd in a consumer computer.

It's just metal and plastic, folks. Adding a couple of models for choice would get them out of the minamilist corner they have painted themselves into.

The mini has no mini keyboard or monitor to go with it. Crap gpu or lack of...tiny ram and hd. I hope the years didn't pass for a mere bump. Sticking they macbook's specs into a biscuit tin isn't what I'd call a major update.

Lemon Bon Bon.
  • Reply 119 of 184
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by uglyjerk View Post

Is it possible that they put an Intel Atom on it?

No, no, no, no, no, no.....

An Atom CPU would not be a great idea. Not even for an AppleTV would the Atom processor be a good idea.
  • Reply 120 of 184
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:

There's nothing changed besides the ports, no reason to flip it over. They might not have an adaptor to hook it up to a display and the machine may not have a system installed.

So you're saying that he somehow got his hands on a top secret computer but not a copy of OS X to run on it.

Quote:

Anyway, it's way too much trouble to go to for what seems like zero gain. It's not as if the guy is saying who he is so he's not doing it for credit and he's posted it on a video sharing site so it's not for click-throughs. Why would he do this?

People do all sorts of things for mischief or just to fool people. Look at the malware coders. You wouldn't believe what the guys at Caltech do on Ditch Day, the lengths they go to and the money they spend.

Quote:

The 3.06GHz Core 2 Extreme chips have a 55W TDP. A 65W TDP isn't a big stretch and the numbers aren't usually accurate. They will have to do much better cooling though because the desktop chips will shut down quicker. They put a desktop G5 chip in the iMac at one point without aluminium casing and it did suffer from shut-downs but they'll have to figure out how to do it. If they ship another set of dual core chips, their iMac just isn't worth the money. Desktop chips are a fraction of the price and I reckon it would allow them to make 24" models all round. The LED parts add to the cost but the common inventory parts should help lower them a bit.

Do you really think the mini can handle 55 or 65w? Its tiny fan already whines like crazy if you keep the CPU pegged. The current power brick can't handle that, either. I don't think Apple is putting quad core processors in their low-end machine anytime soon.