Anyone know why iPhone doesn't have FLASH still?

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Just wondering what the deal is on FLASH and the iPhone.

There are so many things you can watch, e.g., on Hulu, but can't on the iPhone due to no flash.

Many newer phones (e.g. Palm Pre) will play flash. Just wondering if anyone knows why the iPhone doesn't have flash yet and if it ever will have flash.

Thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    I don't care if it ever has flash. Sure there are things you are missing out on, but on the flip side it keeps ads from working properly too. Flash kills battery life, which is one of the major hold ups. Also it seems as if Adobe wants Apple to develop flash, or at least more input than Apple is willing to give. I wouldn't hold my breath for flash on the iPhone anytime soon.....
  • Reply 2 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Flash is a resource hog, and the iPhone is a phone.
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

The App Store says you're wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Just wondering what the deal is on FLASH and the iPhone.

There are so many things you can watch, e.g., on Hulu, but can't on the iPhone due to no flash.

Many newer phones (e.g. Palm Pre) will play flash. Just wondering if anyone knows why the iPhone doesn't have flash yet and if it ever will have flash.

Thanks.

Flash lite you mean.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    I just recently bought a kitchen sink...my question is, why didn't it have a turd in it?
  • Reply 6 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

dont pretend like the iPhone is just a phone. if that was the case it would be horrible and unpopular (as it pretty much sucks as a phone)

i owned a 3G for 6 months. while it is, with out a doubt, the best handheld device on the market, it is not a very good phone. it drops calls, it's internet fails too often and is slower than it should be, and it doesnt hold a signal like other phones. a person should not be down town seattle with no cell reception.

in fact, i sold my iPhone and purchased an LG Vu, its a HORRIBLE device, in fact i think i would rather have the RAZR, however as a Phone it is actually very good, great service, never dropped a call and when i had internet (while not real like the iPhones, it never gets to the point where it takes forever for it to load a page)

personally i would love to go back to using an iPhone, when i got rid of it i did it because i could not call my parents in an area without 4 bars or higher and stay connected for more than a half hour. maybe the next gen version they will keep it the same size (which is not too big/thick) and instead put a bigger battery in it and better cell service.

fingers crossed.
  • Reply 7 of 45
    also, for those that are saying that flash sucks... its only because you dont have it, its widely used, and its useful, are there better alternatives? yes. however not everyone uses them, so if you are to view things online and you want to view EVERYTHING then you need Flash, like it or not. calling it a "Turd" is stupid, pure blindly apple loving stupid.

just because your choice product does not support a mainstream app, does not mean that app must suck, maybe its a flaw in the product that you so blindly worship? maybe apple is not 100% perfect?
  • Reply 8 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SmilinGoat View Post

also, for those that are saying that flash sucks... its only because you dont have it, its widely used, and its useful, are there better alternatives? yes. however not everyone uses them, so if you are to view things online and you want to view EVERYTHING then you need Flash, like it or not. calling it a "Turd" is stupid, pure blindly apple loving stupid.

just because your choice product does not support a mainstream app, does not mean that app must suck, maybe its a flaw in the product that you so blindly worship? maybe apple is not 100% perfect?

Well lets put it this way....when I'm browsing on my iPhone I have yet to say aww shit...it requires flash so I can't view it. Again, I could care less about flash. It will only end up creating issues with many things IMO.
  • Reply 9 of 45
    bbwibbwi Posts: 812member
    I f'ing hope it never gets flash or at least the ability to disable it. Too much of a bandwidth hog and it seems its only use is for ads.
  • Reply 10 of 45
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Dropped calls and internet speed have more to do with the network than the phone.

Here is a survey conducted by Wired that shows how performance of the same device can differ from region to region and country to country.

Participants in Australia reported the slowest average 3G download speeds of about 759 Kbps.

Users in Germany and the Netherlands reported the fastest average 3G download speeds -- about 2,000 Kbps.

Wired.com 3G Survey

Quote:

i owned a 3G for 6 months. while it is, with out a doubt, the best handheld device on the market, it is not a very good phone. it drops calls, it's internet fails too often and is slower than it should be, and it doesnt hold a signal like other phones. a person should not be down town seattle with no cell reception.

• Reply 11 of 45
    Their are a lot of people who dislike Flash, their dislike has nothing to do with the iPhone, and everything to do with Flash.

Quote:

• Reply 12 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Hear, hear. I am utterly in love with ClickToFlash, a Safari plug in that blocks Flash until you click on it to activate it. It makes my surfing so much more enjoyable.

Flash is a bloated resource hog from hell even on a desktop machine. Yes, it's widely used, but so are many other subpar solutions... doesn't mean I want to use them.

When Adobe can deliver a full Flash solution that can run on the iPhone without taking over the CPU and UI to the point of it not being usable, I'd consider it. But seeing how well their client runs on MacOS X, I'm not holding my breath. It's kind of a dog. I can't imagine they can do better with 1/10 the computing power. If they can, great. If not, don't bother, y'know? This Flash Lite crap is for the birds.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    lol, judging by my last few weeks here. i expected a reaction much like this. of course offering more is a bad thing...

im not a fan of it, but to flat out not offer it? horrible plan.

also, im not the only one that has experienced the problems with the iPhone.

LG Vu, my new phone. it is a different phone. better reception, faaaaar less dropped calls, same exact network.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    You made a general statement that the iPhone is a bad phone. Based on a very simplistic premise that takes nothing else into account.

The article I posted was to show that you can take the same phone and get different results for different reasons. Wireless communications is a very complex system their is more going on than only the phone itself.

The iPhone is the most used mobile internet device in the world, exactly how is leaving out flash a horrible plan?

Quote:

lol, judging by my last few weeks here. i expected a reaction much like this. of course offering more is a bad thing...

im not a fan of it, but to flat out not offer it? horrible plan.

also, im not the only one that has experienced the problems with the iPhone.

LG Vu, my new phone. it is a different phone. better reception, faaaaar less dropped calls, same exact network.

• Reply 15 of 45
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    I don't know what to tell you 'Goat, I recently took my iPhone to Seattle to visit family, and the coverage was *horrible*... but around NYC, I've never had a problem. It's rock solid. Unlike our Verizon coverage before we switched - *that* was flaky as hell around NYC, but great in Raleigh, NC, and good in Seattle.

It's not *just* the phone.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

You made a general statement that the iPhone is a bad phone. Based on a very simplistic premise that takes nothing else into account.

The article I posted was to show that you can take the same phone and get different results for different reasons. Wireless communications is a very complex system their is more going on than only the phone itself.

The iPhone is the most used mobile internet device in the world, exactly how is leaving out flash a horrible plan?

oh, i dont know, maybe because it could be an even BETTER device?

MS windows is used by 90% of the computer market, how exactly is leaving out OSX a horrible plan?
  • Reply 17 of 45
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post

I don't know what to tell you 'Goat, I recently took my iPhone to Seattle to visit family, and the coverage was *horrible*... but around NYC, I've never had a problem. It's rock solid. Unlike our Verizon coverage before we switched - *that* was flaky as hell around NYC, but great in Raleigh, NC, and good in Seattle.

It's not *just* the phone.

fo course its not *just* the phone, i agree with you there.

but im now using a different phone on the same network in the same exact area, and guess what, that phoen is performing better.

how is that the networks fault? im just saying im by far not the only person that has had the problem with the iPhone, things get better, but not even to the level of some $20 phones, which is the problem.

again, brilliant device, but it has some work to do in the phone department.
  • Reply 18 of 45
    Fuck flash. How about being able to receive a MMS picture from people with different phones than the iPhone...or actually being able to send one to their phone. Record video? I think those two things rank higher on the list than flash.
  • Reply 19 of 45
    The best we can say is we don't know why one phone is performing better than the other phone. Wireless network technology is complex, and you cannot really just come to some simplistic conclusion.

If the iPhone performed the same way on all networks, then the phone itself being the problem is a more likely conclusion. But seeing clear evidence that the iPhone does not perform the same on all networks shows that all networks have different proclivities. The best that can be said is we don't know.

Quote:

fo course its not *just* the phone, i agree with you there.

but im now using a different phone on the same network in the same exact area, and guess what, that phoen is performing better.

how is that the networks fault? im just saying im by far not the only person that has had the problem with the iPhone, things get better, but not even to the level of some $20 phones, which is the problem.

again, brilliant device, but it has some work to do in the phone department.

• Reply 20 of 45
    Quote:

no, flash = Turd. iPhone owner or not.

you want to believe that the iPhone isn't very good because it doesn't have flash, whereas I believe that flash is a Turd full stop. if flash was NOT the resource hog turd that it is, and instead was a compact resource lite app that STILL kept its full functionality AND was an open standard, then it might be possible for it not to be a Turd.

as its unlikely that all these things will come to be, Flash remains a Turd