Premium-priced MacBook Pros top sales at Apple retail stores

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 47
    Thank you. You and mknopp said it perhaps better than I could have. Windows 7 is coming and that is going to be strong...in all likelyhood... Apple should not lose it's mainstream push (well as mainstream as it could have been) that has put it in such a strong position...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post

I agree entirely with nvidia2008 and mknopp. The premise of this article is Apple is doing strong, people are eating up the MBPros, etc. but I think it's BS. Apple has become the rich person's computer, and in this economy, that's not a good status symbol. "Hey 99% of the US who is struggling. I'm rich and buy overpriced, outdated Apple products because I'm not suffering like most of you." The Mac backlash keeps growing, and continuing to show a complete disconnect from the uncertain economic situation most average people are in is only making it worse. I love OS X, but hate Apple's computer hardware strategy. I think many people feel the same way, and just can't come up with the money to buy the only Mac products worth purchasing, the high end Pro models. People who are rich, who can afford Macs, are just going to buy the Pros anyway because they have that kind of money to spend.

As for the rest of us, if Apple continues to focus on the rich, well, Windows 7 is not that bad and Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux is actually beginning to look better, and is easier to use for common functions, than Windows. And there's the growing Hackintosh community (OS X on PCs).

• Reply 42 of 47
    Quote:

As for the rest of us, if Apple continues to focus on the rich, well, Windows 7 is not that bad and Ubuntu/Kubuntu Linux is actually beginning to look better, and is easier to use for common functions, than Windows. And there's the growing Hackintosh community (OS X on PCs).

Windows 7 is very good for Windows users and may be even keep a few from switching, but it just seems lacking compared to OSX.
  • Reply 43 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mknopp View Post

And what would you have done if you didn't have that $300? What if all that you had to spend was $100?

I would have saved for it.

[/QUOTE]The simple matter is that right now, the MOST computer that many people can afford is below the price point that Apple offers.[/QUOTE]

If you can't afford a new Mac, buy a used Mac. I suggest that to people fairly often. Macs, as your anecdote proves, remain useful and hold their value FAR longer than generic, POS commodity Windows boxes.

I have a 6+ year old 1GHz Titanium PowerBook, with a dead optical drive, that my GF uses like a MacBook Air as a floating Mac for around our apartment.

For buying used, there's craigslist or eBay or even local Mac user groups. I know people who have given away Macs that were a few years old because the hassle of trying to find a buyer wasn't worth the effort.

I just sold a 15.4" MacBook Pro 2.4GHz via craigslist for $1100. A good price for a 1 1/2 year old machine with 1 1/2 years of AppleCare left.
  • Reply 44 of 47
    Quote:

I agree entirely with nvidia2008 and mknopp. The premise of this article is Apple is doing strong, people are eating up the MBPros, etc. but I think it's BS. Apple has become the rich person's computer, and in this economy, that's not a good status symbol. "Hey 99% of the US who is struggling. I'm rich and buy overpriced, outdated Apple products because I'm not suffering like most of you." The Mac backlash keeps growing, and continuing to show a complete disconnect from the uncertain economic situation most average people are in is only making it worse. I love OS X, but hate Apple's computer hardware strategy. I think many people feel the same way, and just can't come up with the money to buy the only Mac products worth purchasing, the high end Pro models. People who are rich, who can afford Macs, are just going to buy the Pros anyway because they have that kind of money to spend.

Spare us the "Macs are for the rich" drivel.

Mac backlash? I don't think so, as Mac market share continues to grow unabated.

Sure, there are some high priced Macs with capabilities FAR beyond what the mythical "typical user" may need ... like the MacPro or The MacBook Pros... that's what the Mac mini, iMac and MacBooks are for. You're right, they ain't cheap, but they're hardly out of reach for all but the rich. As Steve Jobs has stated, Apple does NOT make junk.

Sure, if you're willing to throw away $299 on a crappy box stuffed with 4 or 5 year old technology, go for it. Tell us how your virus scanning goes and how much time and money it saved you.

How well does Vista run on a $299 or $399 box?

How well will Vista SP2... I mean reskinned Vista, aka Windows 7, run on that same box?

Given Microsoft's history of ever faster and ever more lean and efficient software releases, I bet you'll be sticking with XP on that $299 box.

How many of your "typical users" will have a clue about installing, configuring and running ANY version of Linux?

Or stick with XP and your $299 box.
  • Reply 45 of 47
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Sure, there are some high priced Macs with capabilities FAR beyond what the mythical "typical user" may need ... like the MacPro or The MacBook Pros... that's what the Mac mini, iMac and MacBooks are for. You're right, they ain't cheap, but they're hardly out of reach for all but the rich. As Steve Jobs has stated, Apple does NOT make junk.

Sure, if you're willing to throw away $299 on a crappy box stuffed with 4 or 5 year old technology, go for it. Tell us how your virus scanning goes and how much time and money it saved you.

How well will Vista SP2... I mean reskinned Vista, aka Windows 7, run on that same box?

Given Microsoft's history of ever faster and ever more lean and efficient software releases, I bet you'll be sticking with XP on that $299 box.

How many of your "typical users" will have a clue about installing, configuring and running ANY version of Linux?

$300 for outdated junk? Try $600, $800 (Mac mini).

I am not against Apple. I just do not like their current computer hardware strategy. Infrequent updates (aside from their laptops), keeping prices locked even as the hardware prices for the parts drop dramatically, offering very limited choices for an average customer (a Netbook strength Mac Mini or an all-in-one powered by a laptop processor...both currently using outdated hardware in comparison to PC desktops for the same price). I think it's just gotten worse the past few years, perhaps due to the success of their non-computer devices. I don't know.

They've grown 1% despite XP being 8 years old, and everyone hating Vista, and OS X clearly being a much better OS. Despite being able to run both Windows and OS X on one computer, even simultaneously. Despite having the most popular portable music player for years. Despite having Mac in most major electronics stores, Apple stores in major retail areas (where rich people shop). Despite having TV commercials that air more frequently than PC hardware related commercials. People want to switch, but there is one thing holding people back, Apple's hardware strategy. Outdated, overpriced hardware, too few choices. Ripping just enough people off works to keep them in the black, but it's really holding them back from reaching a larger audience.

Windows 7 and Linux are not comparable to OS X, but they're just good enough when most people are on a tight budget and are smart enough about computers these days to know how to compare specs.
  • Reply 46 of 47
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,697member
    Quote:

As Steve Jobs has stated, Apple does NOT make junk.

We would have to define junk to work that out. However, more importantly, I would say it's far more important to take everything Steve Jobs says very lightly indeed.

He says that Apple cannot make a good Mac for less than $500 but that isn't true. The Mac Mini should be priced well under $500 given its specs. What he means is that they don't want to to make a Mac for less than $500.

I think they should be making a NetBook and I imagine it's already finalised and awaiting release in case sales start tanking. However, if they only see a NetBook as a market necessity they will probably opt to reduce prices across the board before releasing one.
  • Reply 47 of 47
    Quote:

The arrogance of your post is astounding. You are the walking, talking embodiment of exactly what PC users mean when they say Mac users are arrogant and out of touch. As someone using a netbook ("4 or 5 year old technology") every day running both OS X and Windows 7 without a hitch, you couldn't sound more ignorant if you tried. Seriously... you got everything wrong about the experience of using one. Windows 7 in beta form runs better than any Windows variant I've ever seen and has been more stable than Leopard running on my Mac Mini. In fact, it runs so well that it's the first time using Windows that I don't miss OS X, and I've never been able to say that before.