Apple to further polish Leopard with 10.5.7 update

Comments

• Reply 41 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen729w View Post

My major gripe with 10.5.6 is iCal. Generally just a bit ... awful? Often it won't even recognise a Command-H to hide, let alone trying to get it to correctly handle calendar invites sent in via mail, or changing the default "5 minute" alarm to anything else.

Worst. Program. Ever.

They already fixed iCal for *ME* in 10.5.6. iCal now handles correct timezone for invitations in Mail.app from my contacts (so the invitations work for me as well). Also, I change the alarm time all the time.
  • Reply 42 of 76
    Mail Alert is an interface effect so to get the mail alert you need to switch on 'user interface sound effects' in the sound pref pane, and reduce the volume to zero if you don't like them elsewhere.
  • Reply 43 of 76
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    I was resigned to wait for Snow Leopard to see a fix for WiFi on my early 2008 MBP. This is hopefully a sign that they will try yet again to fix this mess.

The strange thing with WiFi is that the last update made my machine worst not better. It sort of tells me that they have been doing parameter tweaking to try ot solve what ever the root issue is.

My hope is that SL would have totally new drivers and other low level code for networking. Yes a sign of grabbing at straws but it is pretty obvious that they have some messed up WiFi code for this model.

As to other issues; yes fix iCal, as has been pointed out it has numerous issues. The rest of the system isn't all that bad though, at least the parts that I use regularly. That excludes XCode which has its own issues, but I don't consider that part of the core user system. Oh one more thing where is my GPU acceleration of movie play back?

Dave
  • Reply 44 of 76
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    What it the point of responding to the guy quoting the entire article? Moreover, the guy's profile says he has been signed up since 2006. However, he has only made 19 posts. Further, the reply system on Appleinsider can be a bit confusing with multiple options.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

What was the point of quoting the *entire* article, when you are not even replying to anything in the article? Your profile says you've been doing this for years so you can't even claim ignorance here.

• Reply 45 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jpellino View Post

I still use the female "you've got mail" sound from eWorld. Yes, eWorld. They'll have to pry that from my cold, dead hard drive.

I use George Carlin yelling "THERE'S A LETTER IN YOUR MAILBOX!" I can hear it all over the house! Now, if 10.5.7 fixes the bug that prevents my wife from keeping all her mail in her inbox, THAT would be an improvement!
  • Reply 46 of 76
    iCal needs some love. Palm desktop for Mac is a better and easier program to use than iCal and it's like 10 years old...

Entries in month view are very difficult to read, muted color and small fonts with no ability to customize fonts or colors. You couldn't designed a worst scenario, come on Apple, you're supposed to be THE interface guys!

Why do need to click like 20 times to create or edit an event in iCal? Ridiculous!
  • Reply 47 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

iCal needs some love....Entries in month view are very difficult to read, muted color and small fonts with no ability to customize fonts or colors. You couldn't designed a worst scenario, come on Apple, you're supposed to be THE interface guys!

Why do need to click like 20 times to create or edit an event in iCal? Ridiculous!

Indeed! Apple has also forgotten that some of us have dumped their expensive-to-operate inkjet printers in favor of simple laser printers. That pale blue background in the Current Day's square seeds to be slider-controlled. YES! I vote for this one!!

And, yes, why couldn't a simple right-click open an event's edit window? (I know, I know, that command-E does that)

Recurring events needs help as well. Take a look at Now-Up-To-Date to see how it should be done.

• Reply 48 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bauch View Post

They better fix mail. Upgrading Mail's database from previous versions is completely f'ed since 10.5.6. 10.5.6 in generally has been a pretty crappy, buggy release. Hopefully 10.5.7 is better.

Don't know what you are talking about. Mail works great for me and 10.5.6 is extremely stable.
  • Reply 49 of 76
    Quote:

10.5.6 breaks upgrading from pervious versions of Mail. I work in a Mac shop and get calls daily from users upgrading and their Mail suddenly stops working. You have to erase the database files in which case it will successfully update the Mail from Tiger > Leopard.

No it doesn't. I have upgraded plenty of Macs from Tiger to Leopard and Mail imports and works just fine.
  • Reply 50 of 76
    Quote:

If 10.5.6 is installed before Mail is opened after a Panther/Tiger upgrade, you'll have the issue. If you installed Leopard previously and opened Mail (and it's database updated), you'll have no issues. This IS a bug in 10.5.6 only.

I have never seen that problem.
  • Reply 51 of 76
    My main issue has been with the dual-link DVI cable -- my 30" HP LP3065 monitor blinks, and goes doubled regularly, I have to put the computer to sleep and rewake it, or unplug and replug the cable to fix the problem. The whole situation is intensly irritating I had to wait 3 months for the bloody cable (using the cheaper DVI cable which killed all hope of reasonable resolution on my $!600 monitor -- no other problems there), but now that I have it, its horrifically unfunctional.

Does anyone know any fixes? if not, they'd better fix it with this update!
  • Reply 52 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

FIX THE AUTO SLEEP PROBLEM !!!!

How many here have that problem where you have to put the machine to sleep manually?

From all the forums about it, it seems to be quite wide spread.

All mine sleep automatically. You probably have something running to cause the Mac to think that it is not idle.
  • Reply 53 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I have never seen that problem.

I work on probably 30 different Macs a day - I see it daily, thank you. This affects upgrading the Mail database from Tiger (or Panther/previous major release) directly to Mail in 10.5.6.

If you simply apply 10.5.6 after you've already been running Mail in Leopard, you're fine.
  • Reply 54 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmedia1 View Post

iCal needs some love. Palm desktop for Mac is a better and easier program to use than iCal and it's like 10 years old...

Entries in month view are very difficult to read, muted color and small fonts with no ability to customize fonts or colors. You couldn't designed a worst scenario, come on Apple, you're supposed to be THE interface guys!

I miss my iCal from Tiger...

It worked a heck of lot better then in 10.5.....

K.I.S.S - Keep It Simple Stupid.....

• Reply 55 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.

What email service do you use? I found this problem is specific to gmail.
  • Reply 56 of 76
    No issues for me
  • Reply 57 of 76
    I can't help thinking the mail sound not playing could be part of a wider system issue. I've had sound issues on my Mac, and I don't think I'm the only one. Apps that use sound sometimes stop playing, and sometimes hang. This mainly happens when multiple apps try to use the sound card at the same time.

Only seems to have been an issue in later releases of Leopard, but I'm not sure when it started exactly.
  • Reply 58 of 76
    I think the only thing I have to complain about is the MB keyboard delay issue. The one where you go to use the keyboard, and nothing happens on the first keystroke. Will that ever be fixed? Or is this more of a firmware issue???
  • Reply 59 of 76
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. H View Post

The only problem I have with Mail is that it never plays the "new message" sound.

Yeah, me too! Since I upgraded to Leopard it still plays it, but it plays it literally like 3-4 minutes after the message has been received. Sometimes I'll have finished reading the message and written and sent a reply before the bell comes in and then I think it is a new message an click back... doh!
  • Reply 60 of 76
    Since 10.5.6 is, for some users, the buggiest OS X release in recent memory, I'm sure that many Mac users are eagerly awaiting the release of 10.5.7.