Apple, Psystar seek protective order in preparation for trial

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by altrenda View Post

You are looking at things backwards. Forget comparing spec to spec, look at the real world. How long does it take to get my work done?

For around half the price, you can get similar performance to a Mac Pro, with the same amount of ram and storage. The difference in actual operation would be negligible.

And don't talk about quality or design, I fix Macs and PCs all day long. Macs break just as often as other brands. Check out the line at the Genius Bar or a good pro Mac repair house sometime.

The OS is great and the hardware is pretty, but the main reason Apple charges more for their products is because they can. Good for them, but if I can outfit 2 stations for the price of 1 Mac, I would be crazy not to give it a good hard look.

apple can still have a nice mintower a little higher then one you can build own your own but still somewhat in line with HP, dell and others and that will cut down on clones and get macs in to more companys
  • Reply 42 of 44
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by altrenda View Post

You are looking at things backwards. Forget comparing spec to spec, look at the real world. How long does it take to get my work done?

How would we have any idea how long it takes to get your work done? If all you do is email and basic web surfing then even a netbook is more than adequate. I surely wouldn't recommend a Mac Pro or any machine you attribute as being like a Mac Pro for my parents, but I also wouldn't want any Mac Pro equivalent machine you are recommending for any real workstation work.

The real world is that there are different goals for different people. To say that Mac Pro is too much machine for anyone is shortsided and backwards.
  • Reply 43 of 44
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

How would we have any idea how long it takes to get your work done? If all you do is email and basic web surfing then even a netbook is more than adequate. I surely wouldn't recommend a Mac Pro or any machine you attribute as being like a Mac Pro for my parents, but I also wouldn't want any Mac Pro equivalent machine you are recommending for any real workstation work.

The real world is that there are different goals for different people. To say that Mac Pro is too much machine for anyone is shortsided and backwards.

We're talking Mac pro's here, not Mini's or iMacs. If we're talking about dropping the $$$ for a Mac Pro, can we assume we are doing more than watching youtube and keeping track of recipes?

If we are doing design work, or editing video, and I can get 2 people up and running using a clone, for the same price as 1 Mac Pro, why not? Even if it takes 15 minutes longer to render a video, we are still ahead of the game.

Why wouldn't you use a machine with a good quality motherboard, the same Intel processor, the same brands of ram and drives, running OS X? Because the case is ugly?

The Mac Pro is not too much machine, the price is. The difference in price is why Apple's profit margin is higher than anyone else's, nothing else. Great for you if you want to pay it, but if I can legally run OS X on less expensive but comparable hardware, It has to be considered.

And the legality is what the courts are being asked to decide. Not religion, not loyalty, but what restrictions a company put on it's products after they have been sold.
  • Reply 44 of 44
    Funny how Apple when OS X was started pushed the Open Source barrel. But they are a business and should have the right to protect thier code. That said the gapping gaps in their product range and the popularity of the operating system means the market is moving faster than it's own internal red tape. At Christmas I decided I was going to retire my G5 and was unhappy with my choices considering my spending budget was also an indication of the times too come in the GFC. iMac was nice looking but only 2 processors and limited of 4gb ram and no pci-e slots, Mac Tower Pro (what a mouth full, Apple have also forgot all things fast have an acronym like WRX or GT or GTR) was way expensive so like may other geeks out there Applecenter Techs included I BUILT MY OWN G7 Mac Clone but used EFIX that does not hack any Apple code and I purchased a full retial copy of Leopard. My message to Apple share holders is Go the Microsoft Route and protect your license OR Make more money on the software and License out to specific clone distributors.