It's not MacMini, it's not AppleTV, it's an Apple Console!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by marvin View Post

given that marathon was on the pippin, it would be ironic. It can't happen though as microsoft own the rights to halo, not bungie.

He'll 'forget' and extend the time until apple actually do it. The more that technology progresses, the more likely radical products can happen.

In 2012 when they make display panels so thin you can cut yourself on them and solid state drives are £50 for 120gb, atom is at quad cores or more and we have a gtx 280 architecture integrated, someone will say, 'hey how about making an apple tv out of this?' and ireland will come back and say 'i told you so, i told you they'd make one and you said i was crazy'.

Mind you the internet will replace/merge with the tv network by then so it won't really be a tv, just another computer.

lol...
  • Reply 22 of 24
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Well, it's not hard to go from iPhone game development to Mac game development given that once you do an iPhone game you're:

familiar with ObjectiveC

familiar with Cocoa

familiar with XCode

And if you build with Torque you have a 3D game engine* that runs on the Wii, the Mac, the PC, the XBox 360 and the iPhone in C++/TorqueScript.

http://www.garagegames.com/products/tge/iphone

It should be an easy port for ANY iPhone game (not just Torque ones) to the AppleTV. Which with Atom and Ion would make a decent enough machine on par with the Wii.

http://i.gizmodo.com/5161859/200-ace...hybrid-thingie

AppleTV as the next Pippin hardware platform? Easy. Game devs? See the hordes of iPhone game devs that will love a 2nd platform and second revenue stream. So you have a combo of a few big names and a flock of indies for any fledgling Apple console.

Coupled with a code dev environment second only to Visual Studio and XNA in ease of use (and arguably, only because C# is less obtuse than ObjectiveC) and the iPod Touch and you have an instant game company with a product line that covers mobile (iPod Touch and iPhone vs PSP and DS) and console (AppleTV vs Wii vs 360 vs PS3)...ALL without the need to go head to head with real game companies because:

"Oh, that's just an iPod with games" and "Oh, that's just an AppleTV with games".

WILL they? Who knows?

CAN they? Sure...all the pieces are there and it even seems like a natural progression with what they've been doing the last couple years.

--

* TGEA runs on the Mac, TGE, an older engine, runs on the iPhone. $295 for an indie.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    If this is about this pic

http://i.gizmodo.com/5162911/what-is...-mystery-box#c

its definitely a tv. too big for anything else.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    I would like an AppleTV with an iPhone-like interface and it's own App Store. Both iPhones and iPod Touches could act as controllers, and a device like them with less power and storage would be sold as the primary controller for around $50.