Report: iPhone "miles ahead" of competing app stores

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,903member
    What would be nice is if it could be setup that no more than 24hrs after you purchase you could return it for a refund. There aren't any demo apps available so a lot of the time you're at the mercy of the reviews. But still, the reviews won't tell you if the app really does what you want it to, or what you expected it to.
  • Reply 22 of 27
    I am actually surprised at the length of this article. My question is, how is any of this considered Earth-shattering, ground-breaking news? "iPhone miles ahead' of competing App stores."

I could have told you that.
  • Reply 23 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Has anyone else seen the app-store bug; when you hit updates tab on iPhone the store brings up a list of 'previous' versions of about say 5 apps, attempting to bring some apps that have just updated to 2.0, back to 1.5 for example? It's most annoying.

Same issue here. It's quite annoying, I agree.

Anyone else experiencing this?
  • Reply 24 of 27
    charkocharko Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

All these reports/surveys that ignore the iPod Touch when it's highly relevant are just lazy, I guess? I know data on the Touch is a little more limited, but there ARE ways to estimate, from Web traffic to iPod average selling price to customer and store surveys.

It's a factor that is obviously important to the platform and its apps, and ignoring the Touch (or mentioning it but not tracking it in the actual data) is knowingly producing misleading information. Odd thing to do.

Yes, the touch hardly ever gets more than a mention, despite the fact that the touch is probably now outselling the iPhone by a large margin!

Several observers estimated that almost half the iPods sold in the December quater were touches.

That means about 11 million were sold in that quarter!

Compare that to the iPhone sales over the same period.
  • Reply 25 of 27
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Has anyone else seen the app-store bug; when you hit updates tab on iPhone the store brings up a list of 'previous' versions of about say 5 apps, attempting to bring some apps that have just updated to 2.0, back to 1.5 for example? It's most annoying.

I just called Apple tech support about this.

The only option at this point is to restore your iPhone. This seems to be a very rare problem, but as luck would have it you and I got it. They're calling it a "software glitch." There is currently no fix for this, no update, and no patch. Restoring your iPhone, I'm told, is the only option.

Make sure all your info on the iPhone (apps, contacts, music, photos, everything) is synced up with MobileMe/iTunes or otherwise backed up.

Go into your iPhone summary page in iTunes, and click on "Restore."

Unless someone has a better idea, this is what Apple tech support just advised me to do.

Not to worry, though, restore is automatic, at least from iTunes. Backup is usually automatic as well, each time you connect your iPhone. There shouldn't be any problems.

UPDATE:

Restore was successful. Couldn't be easier.
  • Reply 26 of 27
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Apple should not allow third party native applications on the iPhone. Nobody needs third party iPhone applications. Web apps are really, really SWEET.
  • Reply 27 of 27
    maccadmaccad Posts: 87member
    The article kept saying there were 15,000 apps for the iPhone. A few weeks ago (one report was dated February 11) the 20,000 apps mark was passed. Clearly developers like the iPhone/iPod Touch platform. I sure do.