Photo may show next-gen Mac mini retail box

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 92
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post

Same problems from before. Too many USB ports. No reason for both mini-DVI and mini-DisplayPort, especially now that Apple is pushing DisplayPort. It appears the author added that junk to make up for the missing space on the back when the large DVI port is replaced with just a mini-DisplayPort. Also, the back of the box seems a bit amateurish. The size of the mini's picture is too large. It's at a straight viewpoint, while the last one was slightly tilted. The giant Wireless logo is completely unnecessary and looks stupid. Apple hasn't jumped on this and asked for it to be removed.

I know some large corporate users of the Mac mini, and they've been requesting additional USB ports, especially since the internal hard drive is (and remains, if the rumors are correct) so puny.

As for mini-DVI, Apple can't get rid of that on its cheap switcher box as there is exactly one mini-DisplayPort monitor today, and it aint cheap. And making one buy an adapter to use a cheap box seems very silly.

The giant blue Wireless logo looks just like the one they have on their website for the MacBooks.

When photos have been leaked this close to a launch, Apple has rarely asked for removal, and certainly not in a long time.
  • Reply 82 of 92
    utisnum1utisnum1 Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by poxonyou View Post

Still fake.

"Why go through this trouble?" The person is trying to pull off a memorable hoax. That's the whole point. The first 2 attempts were met with too much skepticism, so they keep trying.

Same problems from before. Too many USB ports. No reason for both mini-DVI and mini-DisplayPort, especially now that Apple is pushing DisplayPort. It appears the author added that junk to make up for the missing space on the back when the large DVI port is replaced with just a mini-DisplayPort. Also, the back of the box seems a bit amateurish. The size of the mini's picture is too large. It's at a straight viewpoint, while the last one was slightly tilted. The giant Wireless logo is completely unnecessary and looks stupid. Apple hasn't jumped on this and asked for it to be removed.

The inclusion of Mini Display and Mini DVI is because the Mac Mini is ment to be a starter Mac and people can chuck their towers out and connect to the Mini with the same display, keyboard and mouse as before. All they have to do is buy an adapter and if their existing display is already for use with Mini DVI than all the better.
  • Reply 83 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FuturePastNow View Post

I think it's real, and I see no reason for Apple to change the design of the mini (beyond the ports, I mean).

I agree that it's probably real, but design? Many people buy Apple products because of aesthetics. To release a product 2 years later with little or no physical upgrade is questionable.
  • Reply 84 of 92
    wigginwiggin Posts: 2,265member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

I'm not sure what the point of that Wifi icon is for example. WiFi is in all Apple products and is ubiquitous. I'm not sure why even if they upgraded it to the "n" spec, they would need to put a giant icon on the box to indicate that.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Outsider View Post

I don't know why the Airport icon would be so prominent on the back unless it was integral to some feature like Time Capsule backup integration.

There is a very simple explanation: To cut costs, Apple is no longer including the Apple Remote with the mini. So they removed the graphic of the remote and had to replace it with something. All of the other new features are already depicted in the photo (5th USB and FW800). The only thing left to promote in that space is the upgrade wi-fi.
  • Reply 85 of 92
    imatimat Posts: 209member
    I think it is a weird approach to packaging...

One that sure doesn't make Jobs happy.

A consumer products gets shown "on the back" in a product, hence illustrating technical abilities over design...

As a premium brand I don't see this as a smart move, because it encourages people to look at tech specs more than design, and it doesn't help percieving Apple as a premium brand.

I think it is a fake, because it would mean a drastic change in strategy, one that I don't think for apple being smart.

Such a picture is clearly interesing for "tech savvy users" but the Mini is not intended primarily for such an audience. It is, instead, a consumer machine, one that people should also look at in terms o design.

I bet Jobs, as a fan of polished, lean surfaces, has something to say about the choice of highlighting the "holed" part of the device...

• Reply 86 of 92
    jowie74jowie74 Posts: 540member
    Fake or not, it was spot on!

Shame it didn't have the price tag on it, that would have prepared us all for the crappy prices
  • Reply 87 of 92
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member

Who do these photoshop wielding clowns think they are fooling?

C
  • Reply 88 of 92
    wobegonwobegon Posts: 764member
    Looks like a number of people in this thread will be eating their words for lunch today.
  • Reply 89 of 92
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carniphage View Post

Who do these photoshop wielding clowns think they are fooling?

C

well done

where are all the "FAKE!" pricks now?

oh yeah, and damn apple and their photoshopin skilz
  • Reply 90 of 92
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Well, guess it wasn't fake after all. Better keep a close eye on that source for future leaks...
  • Reply 91 of 92
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Walter Slocombe View Post

well done

where are all the "FAKE!" pricks now?

oh yeah, and damn apple and their photoshopin skilz

Where the hail you think they are? With their heads in the sand still yelling "FAKE FAKE FAKE!!"

You dont expect them to come back and say "I was wrong" do you? That's un-American...

I've always enjoyed watching threads like this where the so called experts pick pics apart with ZIP for knowledge on the subject. These same experts get 50% wrong on the "Pick the fake" contests...they cant even tell CG from real half the time.

Whats great though is the Internet never forgets...the next time a "fake" is posted and they yell fake...remind them of their track record. I love doing that. You'll probably get "Yeah well I wasn't the only one saying it and it LOOKED fake..." Like they know fake from real...gimme a break...
  • Reply 92 of 92
    lexicon5lexicon5 Posts: 572member
    This is fake too....