Apple intros new Mac Pro with "Nehalem" Xeon processors

1202122232426»

Comments

• Reply 501 of 506
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You just use the card, and everything will work fine. I don't remember all the details.

Thanks. So it appears from your reply that there is a connector on the motherboard or such to which a cable connected to a 3rd party SAS RAID card can be connected to use the 4 internal bays with SAS drives (replacing the single SATA drive in the original order and shipped computer).

This helps because I plan to order the computer initially with a single SATA drive and later change to a 3rd party SAS RAID controller using the 4 internal bays and up to 4 external drives.

Jerry
  • Reply 502 of 506
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gspillman View Post

Thanks. So it appears from your reply that there is a connector on the motherboard or such to which a cable connected to a 3rd party SAS RAID card can be connected to use the 4 internal bays with SAS drives (replacing the single SATA drive in the original order and shipped computer).

This helps because I plan to order the computer initially with a single SATA drive and later change to a 3rd party SAS RAID controller using the 4 internal bays and up to 4 external drives.

Jerry

The computer checks for the SAS card, and does its thing. I forget if you need to set something in the software, but it doesn't need any connectors as far as I know.
  • Reply 503 of 506
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Hey guys,

Do you know if it is possible to put a NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT card from an Early 2008 Mac Pro into the Nehalem Mac Pro?

The reason I ask is that card struck me as having decent performance and two proper DL DVI connectors?
  • Reply 504 of 506
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Should. The GTX 285 also has two DVI connectors.
  • Reply 505 of 506
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Can the new Mac Pro support multiple video cards at full speed - or just whatever's installed in the double height slot?
  • Reply 506 of 506
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,600member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Messiah View Post

Can the new Mac Pro support multiple video cards at full speed - or just whatever's installed in the double height slot?

Whatever cards are installed in the second 16 lane slot will use all 16 lanes if they normally would. The other two slots are for 4 lane cards. I doubt if the Nvidia 130 cards would benefit from more than 4 lanes.