Notes of interest on Apple's desktops: Mac Pro gets Xeons early

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hmurchison View Post

That's what this is for

Gawd, what a POS case and look. Nevermind the fact that Belkin is in hot water for falsifying the quality of their products. That's just plain cheap.
  • Reply 22 of 32
    winterspanwinterspan Posts: 605member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

eSata has been kicking FW800's ass for awhile. (and 100MB/s is under perfect conditions with 0 overhead; ie: doesn't happen)

Agreed.. And what many other manufacturers are doing now is using a USB/eSATA combo port so it's not as if it would take up much space (in Mini/MB/MB Pro)
  • Reply 23 of 32
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,438member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by superkaratemonkeydeathcar View Post

+++Hopefully, the present Graphics Card Dearth is just a MiniDisplayPort issue, soon to be resolved.

I think someone had speculated that its inclusion was due to Movie Studio Pressure. -???

Kind of a shame for AAPL to put such a wonky connector out there, as the variety+scope of graphics cards is certainly more important than dongleage style points. \

Actually I think Hollywood has little to do with Apple's move to DisplayPort. They could have easily jumped on the HDMI bandwagon if HDCP was all that important.

If you think about what is important to computers it becomes clear.

Latching connectors

small form factor connections

high resolution

high bits per pixel support

easy integration

Affordability

Legacy support

DisplayPort offers all the aforementiond benefits in a royalty free package. It's tailored for computing use and in a pinch doesn't make for a bad CE connection.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by winterspan View Post

Agreed.. And what many other manufacturers are doing now is using a USB/eSATA combo port so it's not as if it would take up much space (in Mini/MB/MB Pro)

I'm gonna hop on the eSATA bandwagon but only when it hits 6Gbps. Which should be soon.
  • Reply 24 of 32
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    "The MacBook Air and unibody 13" MacBook lack FireWire due to their internal design constraints".

Not really. Even tiny flash drives (flash sticks or pen drives) have Firewire:

Firewire (IEEE 1394) Palm Sized Storage!

http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html

FIREWIRE IS ESSENTIAL FOR TARGET DISK MORE AND MAC REPAIRS. FULL STOP.

MacBook Air and MacBook: no Firewire, no purchase!
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

"The MacBook Air and unibody 13" MacBook lack FireWire due to their internal design constraints".

Not really. Even tiny flash drives (flash sticks or pen drives) have Firewire:

Firewire (IEEE 1394) Palm Sized Storage!

http://www.kanguru.com/fireflash.html

FIREWIRE IS ESSENTIAL FOR TARGET DISK MORE AND MAC REPAIRS. FULL STOP.

MacBook Air and MacBook: no Firewire, no purchase!

Just because the connector is 'small' doesn't mean there is space on the motherboard for it

I'm upset the macbook and the macbook air have no firewire too, but there is a reason for it.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mrtotesmrtotes Posts: 760member
    Quote:

That's what this is for

Cost of purchase, expense to power, cost to environment of manufacturer and running of hub, cable mess, etc etc... Nah I'll take a extra port or two on the iMac please. Shame we couldn't have had extra ports rather than a trade off.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

my god it is startling, even on professional machines where many of us can use Blu-Ray, Apple continues to stonewall any progress on this technology.

its getting ridiculous at this point.

The Mac Pro's only have 18x DVD burners too. Last time I looked 20x burners were £18/$30. Small difference, but these are seriously expensive computers.

The 8GB max RAM on the Quad Mac Pro is shameful for a £1900 base unit when you consider Apple bumped the PMG5 max RAM from 8GB to 16GB back in 2005.

---------------------------------------------------------

Display Port.

What I find interesting is;

1. The Apple-tax applied to all Mac models now using the MiniDP connection: DP isn't exactly a massive connector so why choose MiniDP for anything other than the MBA?

2. The lack of new displays to use with these new computers. Presumably we'll see them sooner rather than later.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:

That's what this is for

I thought that was for making your desk ugly.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post

my god it is startling, even on professional machines where many of us can use Blu-Ray, Apple continues to stonewall any progress on this technology.

its getting ridiculous at this point.

If you really want a Blu Ray drive, buy your own and install it yourself.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

But they don't have 9.5mm BRDs, whcih most Macs use. The ones that use 12.5mm BRDs are still very pricey. Full Size or external BRDs are still pricey, especially when you consider that you still can't watch any movies in full quality because of a lack of HDCP protection.

The best option is to get a nice, fast external option and then remove the copy protection and store it as a local file on a HDD.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    malaxmalax Posts: 1,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tshort View Post

The Mac Pricing Guide has errors:

"2.1GHz 13" MacBook (white)" should be 2.0GHz

"1.83GHz Mac mini" in the top table should be listed as "2.0GHz Mac mini (1GB)"

There may be other errors, but these are the most obvious.

At least a couple of the prices in the Apple column for the previous models are wrong. Check the Clearance section of the Apple store. 24" iMac at 2.8 GHz is just $1399 for example. the 20" iMac is hundreds cheaper too.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

But the OS doesn't support it yet, does it? At least not for movie playback.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Interesting point about the Need for 10.5.7 for the New Mac Pro.

Hmmm Mac Pro

Dreaming on ...

Phill

[twitter: http://twitter.com/phillipgibb]

[blog: http://synapticlight.com/]