Young Japanese women rank iPod, iPhone, Macs top in design

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
A survey of 1,102 young women in Japan asked them to rank products by superior design. Surprisingly, the top answer wasn't a Japanese company, but rather Apple.

The second place product capturing the attention of trend setting young Japanese women was the iPhone, which ranked after Apple's iPod series and ahead of Mac desktops and notebooks, giving Apple four of the top five spots.

What Japan Thinks

Commissioned by Japan Industrial Design Promotion Organization, the survey was conducted by group goo Research. Participants were nearly equally distributed between Tokyo, Osaka and Nagoya, Japan, and were all aged between 20 and 26. Results of the December edition of the quarterly survey were published online by the site What Japan Thinks.

The survey first asked "Amongst stuff you do own or have owned, what do you feel has superior design?" The top answer was Apple's iPod series. Sharp mobile phones came second, NEC mobile phones came third, and Apple notebook computers showed up in fourth place, tied with Sony Ericsson mobile phones and the Nintendo DS handheld gaming device.

The group then asked "Amongst stuff you have never owned, what do you feel has superior design?" The first reply was again Apple's iPods. Second place was the Apple iPhone. Third place was Plus-Minus Zero humidifiers. Fourth place was Apple's desktop computers. Fifth place was Apple's notebooks.

Sharp LCD TVs placed sixth, the Nintendo Wii came in seventh, Sony's VAIO PCs showed up in eighth place, the Nissan March showed up ninth, and the Nintendo DS tied with Le Creuset pots and pans and Sharp mobile phones for tenth place. Sony's PSP showed up in 13th place, and the PlayStation 3 came in 17th.

SoftBank's Son also rises iPhone in the land of the rising sun

The What Japan Thinks blogger credited the iPhone's rapid rise in rank among devices over the past few quarters to a decision by Apple's SoftBank mobile partner to push Apple to localize the iPhone for the Japanese market by adding support for emoji over the next year. In a press release last October, SoftBank CEO Masayoshi Son stated, ?Email without emoticons can?t be email in Japan. We persuaded Apple Computer (to localize iPhones for the Japanese market).?

A report on the announcement said Apple would "add an emoticon function to iPhones within the year through an update program." Apple added emoji support for Japanese users in the iPhone 2.2 firmware update.

SoftBank also introduced its 1-Seg mobile TV receiver for the iPhone at that event last fall. The device enables users to stream 1-Seg UHF broadcasts aimed at Japanese mobile phones to the iPhone by rebroadcasting the video signal via WiFi.

Admired for design

The JIDPO survey also had respondents rank companies in general, asking "Amongst stuff you do own or have owned, what do you feel has superior design?" Again, Apple came in first place, followed by Sharp, Sony, NEC, Muji Ryohin [a Japanese retail design company, literally named "no brand quality goods"], Panasonic, Franc Franc [a Japanese Ikea], and Nintendo.

Asked "Amongst stuff you have never owned, what do you feel has superior design?," replies again ranked Apple first, followed by Toyota, Plus-Minus Zero, Nissan and Franc Franc rounding out the top five. Sharp and Sony tied for sixth place, followed by Nintendo, Louis Vuitton, and Le Creuset in the top ten. Muji Ryohin tied with Sony Computer Entertainment [PlayStation devices] for eleventh place.

Asked to rank "What product do you think is representative of Japanese design?," The Sharp AQUOS came first, followed by Toyota Cars in general second, the Toyota Prius third, the Nintendo DS fourth, and Sony VAIO PCs and the Nintendo Wii tied for fifth place.

When asked about overall brand image rather than just the sum of the company's products, replies to the question "What brand do you feel has superior design?" ranked Sony ahead of second place Apple, third place Muji Ryohin, Franc Franc fourth and Louis Vuitton in fifth place. \t

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    nice response to the hit job from Wired.

..oh yeah, and ACTUALLY based on facts as well, its almost like journalism isn't it

good work Dan
  • Reply 2 of 62
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    I dare say all that costs more than just firing out Chen.

Then look...

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

The top answer was Apple's iPod series. Sharp mobile phones came second, NEC mobile phones came third, and Apple notebook computers showed up in fourth place, tied with Sony Ericsson mobile phones and the Nintendo DS handheld gaming device. \t

Europe appears to feel Japan not that bad at all.
  • Reply 3 of 62
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Is someone going to tweet the news to the twit Chen or whatever it is.
  • Reply 4 of 62
    adjeiadjei Posts: 738member
    I thought the Japanese thought iphones were garbage?
  • Reply 5 of 62
    jonnyboyjonnyboy Posts: 525member
    apple seems to have found its way into the japanese "designer" niche; when it comes to more utilitarian products the japanese are highly inclined to buy domestic, but conversely when they are looking for something with aesthetic value they'll most likely buy anything but domestic. and this seems to have little to do with intrinsic values of japanese products, more to do with preconceived notions about style
  • Reply 6 of 62
    Jeez, did you check out the Plus-Minus Zero humidifier? Looks like $250 for a small, simple steaming unit, yes, very nice design, but you could buy the same functionality at WalMart for $50. Not sure if Apple is learning from the Japanese or vice versa, certainly both have figured out how to keep margins way high!
  • Reply 7 of 62
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Where is the Xbox 360?

Microsoft needs to commission a poll of trend setting young Japanese men...
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Wow! This is great news for Apple. To finally capture this group of indivduals to admire Apple is a really big deal. Remember, this market has always been a fan on Windows/Microsoft.

If I was Steve Ballmer, I would be freaking out. Apple is not the little computer company that not a lot of people don't know about anymore. The iPhone has be proven to be the best selling phone on the market. (over the RAZR).

You go on digg.com and read Apple related stories, and read the commets. Go see what they (Windows fanboys) say. It makes me sick. They bash the Mac for not having a right click, and for not having OS X in six different flavors. Give me a break. Windows fanboys are loosing this war. Watch, 5. Years from now, Apple will have half of the computer market under it's belt.

To windows fanboys: we (mac users) are not a** holes. We like Apple because the to give the consumer what they want. It's not because the machine has a "pretty" Apple logo on the back of it. With my Mac I don't have to worry about stupied trial software, or worry about putting ant-virus software on my mac. Everything is simple, clean, and easy to use.

Vista was POS!! Go ahead and say it. Windows7 looks.... Okay. If it wasn't for the dock like taskbar, the éxpose "thing" it has, and for god sake the widgets cough cough... I mean "gadgets".

And y'all want to complain about how you have to buy a mac to run OS X?! Wrong. If y'all are smart and read the news, you will see the phystar are selling crappy computers that run OS X.

1 more thing (I promise): the iPhone.. Win. Mobile 6.5 is a fail. I know the iPhone does not have flash or copy&paste, and doesn't have mms. But what else can you say negative? Don't say the camera.. We know.. I have never used a phone that was so powerful, but easy to use. It's easy to type on. ( I typed this whole comment on my device.)

Apple listens to what the people want. I like apple because they have the best customer service in the industry. (fact) and, they have tv best peope working at there stores.

I am done with that. Enough said
  • Reply 9 of 62
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    AI hits an all time low with this thread.

Gee- I wonder how Apple ranks with Zibabweans?

I want to know what young Japanese men think.
  • Reply 10 of 62
    bergermeisterbergermeister Posts: 6,784member
    The purchasing power of young Japanese women is incredible and only foolish companies ignore it. The Apple Store Japan already has a section labelled "iPod for woman" aimed right at this target group.

http://store.apple.com/jp/browse/hom...an?mco=MTIyNzE

What this article means is that Apple has the potential to get in to the Japanese market big-time with the right products. The iPod and iPhone are very attractive here; the computers need a little tweaking before they too would be gobbled up.
  • Reply 11 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The purchasing power of young Japanese women is incredible and only foolish companies ignore it. The Apple Store Japan already has a section labelled "iPod for woman" aimed right at this target group.

Great to see that Apple is more concerned about the greeening of the environment than the continuing oppression of women in other societies.
  • Reply 12 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

What this article means is that Apple has the potential to get in to the Japanese market big-time with the right products. The iPod and iPhone are very attractive here; the computers need a little tweaking before they too would be gobbled up.

Exactly right Bergermeister! Hit the nail on the proverbially head! This is why this article is pertinent, especially after the recent Wired poorly written article.

Japan is a very important market and it is entirely understandable they have a national pride in their own manufactured products. It makes is it even better for Apple to have evidence that Apple is on the right track. Not perfect, but then what is?

AI you are doing a great job and so is Apple for that matter.
  • Reply 13 of 62
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I want to know what young Japanese men think.

Care to tell us why? How does that validate your purchase decision one way or another?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Care to tell us why? How does that validate your purchase decision one way or another?

My purchase decision of what? Wouldn't you want to know what all Japanese think - not just it's women? How can this be "What Japan Thinks" if the survey is only answered by its women? Don't young men buy electronics in Japan?
  • Reply 15 of 62
    slapppyslapppy Posts: 331member
    Great article. Real journalism. Amazing that the Wired blogger who made up quotes and false statements still believes he's done nothing wrong.
  • Reply 16 of 62
    gqbgqb Posts: 1,934member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jonnyboy View Post

apple seems to have found its way into the japanese "designer" niche; when it comes to more utilitarian products the japanese are highly inclined to buy domestic, but conversely when they are looking for something with aesthetic value they'll most likely buy anything but domestic. and this seems to have little to do with intrinsic values of japanese products, more to do with preconceived notions about style

You must have missed the whole thread last week indicating that (contrary to chen's Wired article) the japanese 'domestic' products are heavy on features but lacking in usability. The whole 'Japan is too advanced for iPhone' meme is falling apart.
  • Reply 17 of 62
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:

My purchase decision of what? Wouldn't you want to know what all Japanese think - not just it's women? How can this be "What Japan Thinks" if the survey is only answered by its women? Don't young men buy electronics in Japan?

Wrong again. The site is Called "What Japan Thinks," the survey is particular to young women.

PS - I thought you were banned for the meltdown you had the day before yesterday where you made all those personal attacks? No?
  • Reply 18 of 62
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PeterRRRRRR View Post

Jeez, did you check out the Plus-Minus Zero humidifier? Looks like $250 for a small, simple steaming unit, yes, very nice design, but you could buy the same functionality at WalMart for $50. Not sure if Apple is learning from the Japanese or vice versa, certainly both have figured out how to keep margins way high!

If you had to guess, which unit do you think might be noisier? And which one more efficient? And which one might last longer?
  • Reply 19 of 62
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:

Great to see that Apple is more concerned about the greeening of the environment than the continuing suppression of women in other societies.

As far as I can tell, neither of which are the topic of the original story. But maybe you have some rationale on how Japanese women are being suppressed?
  • Reply 20 of 62
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It probably would have had a flipped result if those were young Japanese men.

Good to hear Apple's image in Japan is climbing just like in countries all over the world. Now on to China!