Desktop trackpad

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    kolchakkolchak Posts: 1,398member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

That is indeed the most ridiculous statement in reference to the Tablet that I have read yet....which says quite a bit.

Your post says absolutely nothing, which says quite a bit about you.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Bergermeister View Post

The thinner the better, too; currently I crafted my own desk so that the tablet can fit flush with the top of the desk to further reduce twisting my wrist.

Actually, that's not a good design. You'd want to tilt the tablet sideways. See Comfort Keyboards for an example of what to do. Think about the position your relaxed hand takes. It's not flat on the desk, is it? You're expending effort twisting your forearm to get your hand flat. You actually want it tilted to the right (assuming you're right-handed). Imagine, if you mounted it vertically like dangling on the side of your keyboard, it would also markedly reduce the distance between keyboard and pointing device.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    Quote:

I'd buy one of these tomorrow

Sold! So would I.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    I'd buy one of those! Did you know Snow Leopard supports Chinese handwritting input. Requires a multitouch trackpad. That leaves out all desktop macs. Third party stylus and software can turn the trackpad into a small drawing pad. I've asked apple to make one of those keyboards.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kolchak View Post

Actually, that's not a good design. You'd want to tilt the tablet sideways. See Comfort Keyboards for an example of what to do. Think about the position your relaxed hand takes. It's not flat on the desk, is it? You're expending effort twisting your forearm to get your hand flat. You actually want it tilted to the right (assuming you're right-handed). Imagine, if you mounted it vertically like dangling on the side of your keyboard, it would also markedly reduce the distance between keyboard and pointing device.

Actually, it can tilt left/right and front/back and even spin the entire rig it's mounted on around and for me, now, flush works best and lets me use the tablet and pen easily. That might change and I hope I have the rig set up so it can adjust. It's a work in progress. Oh, the wife also uses the computer, too, so it can not be a special set-up for one user.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    That mockup is awesome. Perfect. Sold. I'd buy it if it was reasonably priced (doubtful at least at first!). And gestures are awesome. Someone jump in on this but I still don't understand why we don't have handwriting recognition? On the huge trackpads they have now? Or ESPECIALLY the iPad itself. As soon I read that you use a virtual keyboard I was like forget about it. What I was thinking is that Apple made some handwriting recognition breakthrough and was going to show it off on iPad. Wouldn't it be cool to be able to write and see it typed out in real time? With 100% or 99.9% accuracy? The problem with OCR and other software if it exists that can do it in realtime is that it's not 100% which kind of makes it useless. I used a WIndows tablet Table PC with XP or whatever. It worked 90% of the time. When it works it's damn cool!! But after 30 seconds you realize that if it's not 99 or 100% it's useless, just a novel toy. I think we should at least be able to use a special pen or maybe even just a regular one, to draw, to use the huge built-in trackpad as a Wacom tablet. Seems like either of these probably wouldn't take too much effort? With Inkwell and all
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Quote:

I'd buy one of these tomorrow

I'd buy one today.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    dfilerdfiler Posts: 3,420member
    Non-adjacent arrow and delete keys would be a deal breaker for me on the keyboard pictured above. Any self-respecting code monkey will tell you the same.
  • Reply 28 of 28
    targontargon Posts: 103member
    Good mockup. Is the Home/End, Page Up/Down, Delete keys really needed if the keyboard has a Function Key? On a MBP using the Function Key with the arrow keys perform the duties of the keys above the Trackpad. If these were removed the Trackpad could be enlarged to cover the full depth of the keyboard.

Id buy one also. I find the trackpad much more accurate and precise than any mouse anyway.