Briefly: Apple prepping new Snow Leopard, iWeb, ARD updates

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Could they can the rap music or the creepy keyboard music? Just present the changes. The music is like being forced to hear big bass while waking up and brushing your teeth.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    randfeerandfee Posts: 7member
    I just don't see how Apple plans to sell Snow Leopard to the masses. For the ordinary folks out there, there is just nothing to lure them into buying it.

don't get me wrong, I'll get my copy (still hoping for ZFS support), but compared to Leopard and Tiger, I don't see other people being attracted by it. So I guess they'll just introduce it along with the new hardware that sells, I'm really looking forward to see how fast it is being adopted.

what do you think?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    webheadwebhead Posts: 75member
    I used iweb 09 to upload my website to an FTP last week and it worked fine, no problems. It's a nice feature, now I don't have to use fetch to upload my site.
  • Reply 24 of 29
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randfee View Post

I just don't see how Apple plans to sell Snow Leopard to the masses. For the ordinary folks out there, there is just nothing to lure them into buying it.

don't get me wrong, I'll get my copy (still hoping for ZFS support), but compared to Leopard and Tiger, I don't see other people being attracted by it. So I guess they'll just introduce along with the new hardware that sells...

what do you think?

What are you talking about? Besides the entire platform moving to Cocoa, a new kernel, completely updated Printing System, Email, Finder, and every other application space getting streamlined and updated, you're worried that because it looks very similar to 10.5 people will pass on it?

That's ludicrous.

Who would pass on improved Samba? Improved NFS? Improved File system support? Added security? New versions of Apple applications leveraging more services to one another?

There are hundreds of changes that will have people smiling when they upgrade.

For a Developer the options are obviously more obvious. For consumers they will see the changes in 3rd party applications, new applications across the board.

I passed on Leopard knowing that Snow Leopard is the first version I've been waiting on for 10 years. That's just the ex-NeXT snob in me.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    randfeerandfee Posts: 7member
    jeez... I'm not talking about you and me, I'm talking about the broad mass of users, that looks for the next exposé, spotlight or time-machine.

I know very well what I can get out of 10.6, as I said, I'll definitely get it. I don't know if my favorite feature (ZFS) will be in yet, but hell yeah, lots of stuff that is gonna keep me smiling.

BUT, I was talking about the average guy/gal, that can't care less about all the stuff that interests us. Those are the masses, they don't see a new shiny feature, they'll complain and/or not buy it. As easy as that!
  • Reply 26 of 29
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

Autostacks.

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/26206

Isn't this basically the same as the "Recent Items" found under the upper-left Apple icon?
  • Reply 27 of 29
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by randfee View Post

jeez... I'm not talking about you and me, I'm talking about the broad mass of users, that looks for the next exposé, spotlight or time-machine.

I know very well what I can get out of 10.6, as I said, I'll definitely get it. I don't know if my favorite feature (ZFS) will be in yet, but hell yeah, lots of stuff that is gonna keep me smiling.

BUT, I was talking about the average guy/gal, that can't care less about all the stuff that interests us. Those are the masses, they don't see a new shiny feature, they'll complain and/or not buy it. As easy as that!

I'm not buying Apple's "featureless" crap.

Hell the plethora of little tweaks i'm seeing leak are really getting me pumped for this OS. Initially I was a bit like "well I only have a Core Duo so the Grandcentral OpenCL thing really isn't going to benefit me"

But now I'm seeing the polish I've longed for. A cleaner Services Menu so I actually want to use it.

Smaller apps for a faster install. Better printing and I think the final thing Apple adds is a cohesive and unified UI.

I'm sold. I'm hoping Apple is kind and delivers it for say half price but if we continue to see improvements I'll pay full pop for it.

I keep hearing developers dropping hints about features they can't wait to tap in SL. I think there is going to be a lot of "I don't see anything I'd use" coming from people but human nature, it appears, mandates its easy to talk yourself out of spend money.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    nycmacfannycmacfan Posts: 129member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Shookster View Post

The whole point of Activity Monitor is to monitor your system - you don't want it screwing up the figures by taking up a whole load of CPU time.

I agree. One thing I'd love is for common apps to have an option to click on a process for a quick explanation for apple for what they are so that you know what is up. Obviously this is for the apps/processes that are common and almost always running on all systems.

I have an (dual core) MBA and for the first six months, I'd find one core stop working (go to 100% with no apps opens) and find some random routine that was using all of 1 core and 60% of another. I hate having to google each one to find out.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

iWeb

Also in the works, and reportedly undergoing internal testing, is iWeb 3.0.1. The update is believed to address issues with publishing iWeb pages to MobileMe and FTP, which has been one of the largest sources of complaints about the new Web editor that shipped last month as part of iLife '09.

One thread running since late January concerns FTP publishing errors where a test worked properly but the publish failed. Others have reported issues with pictures not appearing correctly while still others have struggled with uploading for a month only to discover their sleep settings were putting the computer to sleep before it could finish the upload.

It may interest you to know that the above quote sent to the Apple discussion forum about the many problems people are having with iWeb3, was removed by the staff on account of being speculation and rumor.

I don't know whether this means that Apple is NOT going to fix the iWeb3 bugs.

You can see for yourself how images are misplaced on many iWeb blogs:

http://web.me.com/fabrice.baudon/My_...l/Journal.html

The rss feed iWeb produces is faulty as well.

It seems that not many magazines dare to publish about these problems. They certainly have not tested the blog.

I do hope they will fix the bugs though.