The Laptop Conundrum / Catastrophe!

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    The question is the future for professional vs. consumer laptops; will there always be a well defined distinction for the high end? I say yes. Before too long, a year or two at the most, Apple will introduce a 64 bit PowerBook that runs high-end applications.

I know a developer who prefers working on his PowerBook, rather than his Power Mac. Also, video folks who work in the field want a powerful laptop. These users will want and need a high performance, 64 bit CPU. Such PowerBooks will come when IBM has the Power5 derivative G5 (or G6) with a built in memory controller, in my opinion.

The consumer iBooks will eventually get the system-on-a-chip PPC, which is aimed at low cost and low power. Screen size will be much less of a factor and will be based on personal preference. Small compact book with smaller screen, or bigger screen and not as easily carried around.
  • Reply 22 of 24
    FYI, This thread is two years old.
  • Reply 23 of 24
    rolandgrolandg Posts: 632member
    Interesting to read some of the thoughts and predictions of the times the TiBook was initially intrduced and compare them to the actual developments.

I think that in the future laptops will be distingished by three features rather than screen size:

Professional lines (i.e. the more expensive lines):

Either raw power and technical features like a 64-bit G5 or battery time and power efficency and overall built and material quality.

The former (hot desktop CPUs) is not really Apple's style and IMO too much a niche or we would already have the 3-inch-thick-extra-hot-and-loud-battery-eating-G5-book.

The later is what the Centrino laptops are in the WIntel world and I guess it is a general trend.

All garnished with Apple's love for high quality case materials, design and attention to detail.

Consuer lines: On the WIntel side this is where you find thicker machines with soso fast desktop CPUs, low battery time and lesser quality materials. Although more and more Pentium-M/Centrino systems appear in this segment.

Apple tires to offer (and offers) the same power efficency its pro line has but omits some "pro" features (GBit-ethernet, FW800, illuminated keyboard, PC-Card slot, widescreen displays) at very attractive price points.

I hope that Apple keeps its good work up and has a little more luck with its CPU suppliers in the future. Maybe we will see a major architectural change in Apple's future moblie lineup similar to Intel's Centrino initiative.
  • Reply 24 of 24
    snoopysnoopy Posts: 1,901member
    Quote:

Originally posted by TWinbrook46636

FYI, This thread is two years old.

Some replies did seem to be a little behind the times. Oh well, it's a timeless topic. I'll start paying attention to posting dates.