Text to get smarter in Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

Comments

• Reply 21 of 52
    iWork apps already do the substitutions you describe. In Tiger. So this really isn't "new" for Apple per-say, just "new" at the system level.

• Reply 22 of 52
    pointypointy Posts: 1member
    I'll do you one better. This is a screenshot of the AutoCorrect dialog in Word 2008?

Image from http://www.mactricksandtips.com/2008...rs-into-2.html
  • Reply 23 of 52
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    I think I'll stick with Typinator.
  • Reply 24 of 52
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    Oh dear, TeckStud isn't going to like this thread. \
  • Reply 25 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PersonMan View Post

Actually it should be type "Apple" and get "the Cupertino-based ______-maker" automatically inserted.

If the article is about iPods, they use "Cupertino-based iPod-maker," and so on.

ATTENTION MODS. THESE POSTERS KNOW TOO MUCH. CODE BLACK. CODE BLACK.

You AppleInsiderInsiders are cracking me up. I don't know how you got a copy of the super secret AppleInsider Development Guide, typically kept under lock and key at Slash Lane's underground fortified bunker buried deep beneath the streets of Cupertino, to which only Katie Marsal has the other key, but I demand you destroy it immediately.

I've acquired special clearance to release an excerpt. Quoting from page 1056 of that super secret manual, printed right before the entry on Steve Ballmer: "Apple, Mac maker, iPod maker, iPhone maker, definitely-not-a-tablet maker, Cupertino-based company, the one with the fruity nomenclature, big cat tamer, Redmond frustrater, Gates' family's forbidden fruit, the palace at 1 Infinite Loop, that place where that one Jobs guy works..." Already I've said too much.

If you have some new, non-ridiculous ideas on how to avoid saying "Apple" a trillion times in each story, I'll take them under advisement.
  • Reply 26 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:

Actually it should be type "Apple" and get "the Cupertino-based ______-maker" automatically inserted.

If the article is about iPods, they use "Cupertino-based iPod-maker," and so on.

I knew I was missing something, but I think the joke worked anyway.
  • Reply 27 of 52
    wplj42wplj42 Posts: 439member
    In my Win 95 days, I had MS Works. It would by default, auto-correct spelling and auto-cap the first letter after punctuation. Sometimes it would assume incorrectly and it was almost impossible to fix. As long as this stuff can be turned off. As long as Apple is making improvements like these, how about a new voice to match the quality of Alex!!! Also, more keystroke shortcuts. With the creation of Voice Over, Apple has made things better. It is still too mouse driven. In my Windows days, I could function without a mouse, except for the web. I miss that.
  • Reply 28 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Applee = "the Cupertino-based electronics company"

Applei = "the Cupertino-based iphone-maker"

But seriously 'auto correct', or 'auto complete' can be a mixed blessing. A right click in the middle of the text should give the option to turn it off. I wonder where the menu in the article appears. In the days when Microsoft used to assume they knew what you wanted to write or how you wanted to capitalize etc. when using Word I was continuously helping people turn the feature off.
  • Reply 29 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachSpear View Post

ATTENTION MODS. THESE POSTERS KNOW TOO MUCH. CODE BLACK. CODE BLACK

Also know as "the opposite-of-white-based AI-code."

(Too abstract?)

Quote:

If you have some new, non-ridiculous ideas on how to avoid saying "Apple" a trillion times in each story, I'll take them under advisement.

I quite like the inclusions, but I know it seem to bother some people.
  • Reply 30 of 52
    allblueallblue Posts: 393member
    This would be a useful feature for us old fogeys to be able to communicate with under-16s. There would have to be a command-alt-control-8 equivalent, whereby you type in the word correctly, and it would be translated into a form readable by the text generation For example type in Great! See you tonight! and it would automatically translate into gr8 c u tnt. Ah language is a wonderful thing indeed!
  • Reply 31 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Also know as "the opposite-of-white-based AI-code."

(Too abstract?)

Code White = New Shiny Stuff!
  • Reply 32 of 52
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Data Director would be very useful IMHO.

& As usual, MSFT will probably follow up.
  • Reply 33 of 52
    ouraganouragan Posts: 437member
    It would be great if Apple allowed users to switch text tool languages ON and OFF depending on the language of documents that users are working on.

Many users have to speak, read and write more than one language, especially for work or study, so that the possibility to use text tools in different languages is important.

• Reply 34 of 52
    kickahakickaha Posts: 8,760member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post

Data Director would be very useful IMHO.

& As usual, MSFT will probably follow up.

Apple Data Detectors *were* very useful, back in MacOS 9. They, along with Put Back, didn't make the transition to MacOS X. MSFT has had plenty of time to copy it.

In fact, ADD has been one of my most-missed techs from the Classic days, so I'm thrilled to see it coming back into play. It, combined with Services, offers an entirely different classification of data manipulation by the user.
  • Reply 35 of 52
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Data Detectors?

We had this crap in Openstep, internally at NeXT.
  • Reply 36 of 52
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachSpear View Post

I am definitely guilty of whining about the use of the terms "the Cupertino based... etc". It is pathetic, I guess, and clearly I have too much time on my hands (actually, I am just King of the Procrastinators), but I don't actually see what is wrong with saying Apple a trillion times. I guess 'the company' would reduce that number to 500 000 000 000, which is a start. Personally I would prefer the Mac maker, or the iPhone maker to the 'Cupertino based...' which seems convoluted and and long winded. There is also plenty scope for removing the name altogether from a sentence. But I once promised not to complain about this anymore so I'm not complaining. I'm just sayin'.
  • Reply 37 of 52
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

Yeah, no doubt. What if you intentionally wanted to spell something wrong or didn't want the first letter of a sentence capitalized? How would you override that without having to go back and forth to the preferences?

On iPhone the correction is forced on you, and you have to take action to avoid it. This is opposite to how everyone else implements it (Apple really has to think different), where correction is offered to you to choose if you want to.

If they implement it like this in OS X as well, then it will be quite useless and turned off in my case at least.
  • Reply 38 of 52
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dak splunder View Post

While Apple's getting some good ideas from Microsoft, here's hoping they copy Windows' system-wide use of the HOME and END keys (and other related keys): [substituting Command for Control]

HOME - move to the beginning of the line

END - move to the end of the line

CMD+HOME - Top of document

CMD+END - End of document

CMD+LEFT/RIGHT ARROW - Move by word

CMD+UP/DOWN ARROW - Move to beginning of Previous/Next Paragraph

CMD+PAGE UP/PAGE DOWN - Move to beginning of Previous/Next Page

(and for those with crippled/laptop keyboards:

OPTION+HOME/END: Top/End of document

OPTION+LEFT/RIGHT: Beginning/End of Line

OPTION+UP/DOWN: Beginning of Previous/Next Page

Windows has these very useful text navigation keyboard shortcuts at the system level, so no matter what program you're using, they act the same (unless the app has a specific reason to change them). It's really handy. (And surprising -- for the most part Apple's keyboard shortcuts and mnemonics have always been more consistent and common-sense than Windows. Except for these simple text navigation keys.)

Or even better offer vi style navigation and editing where ever one can navigate or edit text. Now that would be something worth talking about.

Of course emacs mode should work (and to some extent already does) for people who prefer it. And of course the plain stupid current way for people who don't know better .
  • Reply 39 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

I am definitely guilty of whining about the use of the terms "the Cupertino based... etc". It is pathetic, I guess, and clearly I have too much time on my hands (actually, I am just King of the Procrastinators), but I don't actually see what is wrong with saying Apple a trillion times. I guess 'the company' would reduce that number to 500 000 000 000, which is a start. Personally I would prefer the Mac maker, or the iPhone maker to the 'Cupertino based...' which seems convoluted and and long winded. There is also plenty scope for removing the name altogether from a sentence. But I once promised not to complain about this anymore so I'm not complaining. I'm just sayin'.

Yes, this is a dilemma that has troubled journalists for centuries. (Have journalists been around for that long? Do pamphleteers count? Great. Moving on.) The problem with using Apple over and over again is that everyone reads words in their head differently. Some people don't like how "the Cupertino-based company" sounds, while others don't even notice it. Some people hear "Apple" too many times and they start to go insane. That said, I'm always trying to find a good balance. It's pretty hard to keep using the same word, Apple, or words like "It" or "the company" over and over though. I'll keep your comments in mind as this is something I'm always thinking about.
  • Reply 40 of 52
    cozagadacozagada Posts: 19member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Stop whining and read some AI articles again, it's not "The Cupertino, based company", it's simply "The Cupertino, Calif.-based company"