Mac mini: teardown, adding second hard drive, 1TB upgrade kit

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 73
    hudson1hudson1 Posts: 800member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

I understand Apple wanting to offer a limited range of Macs, but there's a gaping hole that surely could be (needs) filling, without detracting from the rest of the Mac range. A MacPro is total over-kill, the Mac mini doesn't cut it (except as nice nice little media serve) and the iMac is basically a MacBook Pro stuck to the back of a glossy display.

I have a hard time thinking of potential uses for a Mac in which a MacPro is "total over-kill" yet a mini "doesn't cut it". Just what are you trying to run that requires this mythical mini-tower yet a mini can't handle and a MacPro is total over-kill? If you're talking about hard core games, well Apple has pretty much said people buy consoles for games, not computers.
  • Reply 62 of 73
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    That is painful to upgrade the HDD. It makes it not even worth buying if you want to upgrade for the future before buying any future revision.

Having torn apart several laptops of Apple's [iBook/Powerbook come to mind] this is right up there with dickish to the eleventh degree.
  • Reply 63 of 73
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,953member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

I have a hard time thinking of potential uses for a Mac in which a MacPro is "total over-kill" yet a mini "doesn't cut it". Just what are you trying to run that requires this mythical mini-tower yet a mini can't handle and a MacPro is total over-kill? If you're talking about hard core games, well Apple has pretty much said people buy consoles for games, not computers.

The only thing that I think is overkill for a non-pro is using workstation components, making the price higher than it really has to be for the capabilities offered, even considering the value of an Apple machine with OS X.

I don't think the people that buy consoles for games are really the kind of people that use computers for games. To suggest otherwise is a gross oversimplification.
  • Reply 64 of 73
    jeffharrisjeffharris Posts: 826member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hudson1 View Post

Here in NYC, where office and desk space is at a premium a Mac Pro is just too big, physically. In this case, size and too much of it, DOES matter. I simply do not have the space for a MacPro. My office is 7' x 7'.

I use VectorWorks for 2D and 3D, Photoshop and a few other 3D apps. I know lots of architects, lighting designers, video, audio and graphic designers who work with similar tools and would love one. Most everyone I know use a MacBook Pro. Some have one MacPro to use as a heavy lifter for rendering, etc.. In this case, running these types of apps, a mini simply does NOT have the raw power to handle it. And these days, being able to crank out work quickly is crucial, especially with clients' shrinking budgets!

The mini is a great machine for what it is, a headless MacBook, but a small footprint machine, with quad or octo-core processors, a serious graphics card, an internal 2-disk RAID and a spare PCI slot would be fantastic!

Besides, an intermediate sized headless Mac would be a great "switcher" machine, too.
  • Reply 65 of 73
    Hi Jeff,

I think I can help with this one. I got a new mini 2 days ago and have a 32 Inch Sony Bravia with HDMI and VGA in. Your best bet is to go with the MiniDVI to VGA adapter that apple sell if you want to have a full screen desktop showing on the bravia. The Minis MiniDVI port is DVI-D which carries only the digital signal, the old mini was was DVI-I which carried both analogue and digital (hence all you needed was a cheap DVI-I to vga adapter). You could use the mini DVI to DVI connector that comes with the mini and then plug in a DVI to HDMI cable which will work after a fashion - but make sure you know the resolution of your TV. My 32 inch is 12xx(can't remember) by 768 - a 720P signal is less than that so you have a small but irritating black border around everything. You can turn on overscan but then you loose the menu bar and part of the dock off screen (on 32inch anyway).

Reviews about the Mini Display Port to VGA adapter seem a bit iffy so i steered clear of it.

Hope that helps

Quote:

That would suck.

Is the Mini-DVI port that much different from a standard DVI port?

I've got a 40" Sony Bravia HDTV with a VGA input. I can drive it from my MacBook Pro's DVI port (with an adaptor) perfectly. I've been dying to get a mini to connect to my HDTV full-time.

I wonder if the Mini-DisplayPort would work with VGA.

What about using a Mini-Display or Mini-DVI to HDMI adaptor?

• Reply 66 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ScottStevens View Post

Hi Jeff,

I think I can help with this one. I got a new mini 2 days ago and have a 32 Inch Sony Bravia with HDMI and VGA in. Your best bet is to go with the MiniDVI to VGA adapter that apple sell if you want to have a full screen desktop showing on the bravia.

Reviews about the Mini Display Port to VGA adapter seem a bit iffy so i steered clear of it.

Hope that helps

Absolutely. Good info!

Full screen looks amazing from my MacBook Pro, so I'd definitely not want to lose it. Since all my HDMI ports are being used (cable, DVD, Blu-ray), that leaves the VGA free for a mini. I even figured out a way to attach the mini to the HDTV wall arm mount I installed.

Chief PDR - http://www.chiefmfg.com/productdetail.aspx?MountID=55
  • Reply 67 of 73
    vineavinea Posts: 5,585member
    Has anyone tried 6GB yet? I seem to recall that they put 2 4GB sitcks in there rather than a 4GB and a 2GB stick and saw the performance issues.
  • Reply 68 of 73
    behrtekbehrtek Posts: 1member
    ---

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hudson1

Is it a mistake to buy a 1GB RAM mini and then add a 2G? Or is it better to add 1GB to match an existing 1GB?

---

According to Other World Computing, the Mac mini can physically take up to 4GB, but can only make use of 3GB of RAM, and their tests show that you can use mismatched chips - hence, they sell a 3GB upgrade kit as well as 2GB and 4GB kits.

Check out this info:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/mac_mini/intel

for more info and performance tests.

OWC also indicates that the largest hard drive they recommend is a 640GB SATA.
  • Reply 69 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BehrTek View Post

---

Quote: Originally Posted by Hudson1

Is it a mistake to buy a 1GB RAM mini and then add a 2G? Or is it better to add 1GB to match an existing 1GB?

---

According to Other World Computing, the Mac mini can physically take up to 4GB, but can only make use of 3GB of RAM, and their tests show that you can use mismatched chips - hence, they sell a 3GB upgrade kit as well as 2GB and 4GB kits.

OWC also indicates that the largest hard drive they recommend is a 640GB SATA.

The older model Mac minis could only use 3GB out of 4GB RAM. The current models can access the full 4GB. It would be nice to put two 4GB RAM sticks in for 8GB total, if it were possible.

If you're buying the low-end mini (w/2GB), you can get the full 4GB from the Apple Store for only $100 more and not have to eat the 2GB.

Personally, I'd prefer a 500GB x 7200 rpm hard drive for the thing, rather than a slower, 5400 rpm x 640GB drive. You can always add a big external FireWire 800 drive for mass storage.
  • Reply 70 of 73
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Technicians caution, however, that the challenge in making both drives fit snugly without being damaged when the machine is reassembled, combined with some necessary soldering, makes the installation "very difficult." That said, their step-by-step instructions -- covering nine pages and 27 steps -- do well to remove virtually all of the guesswork.

There is optical drive-shaped enclosure to put second HD inside Mac Mini.
  • Reply 71 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by smuspisrell View Post

I was doing some reading online and I came across the split second turbo tuner. I was wondering if anyone has used this on their 335 or 135? I have a 335 coupe and I was wondering if it is really all it says it is. You are supposed to gain over 25hp? Is it hard to put on / take off? And does the cars computer store information when its hooked up... the webpage makes it seem like you just take it off when your taking your car into service then hook it right back up. I just dont want to do anything that will void my warranty.

What the heck is a 335 or 135?
  • Reply 72 of 73
    Quote:

What the heck is a 335 or 135?

BMW car models?
  • Reply 73 of 73
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edwin2213 View Post

BMW car models?

Cars?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz