Corporate legal scrambles to withdraw inflated Palm Pre claims

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    Personally, I'm hoping the Palm succeeds if only because they decided to use WebKit instead of Java or Flash. Will definitely help push it towards being accepted as an application platform.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Where does AT&T have good coverage -period?

I get decent coverage in Cleveland. The only places my signal really drops is in certain spots in some of the older brick buildings, which I'm sure have walls covered in a quarter inch of lead paint.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,686member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hiimamac View Post

Most reports point to Apple being the slow ones to Flash, so we know flash will happen on the Palm Pre. That alone if the os is all that, could make it a winner, combined with turn by turn gps. My work phone sprint htc has great tbt gps and I have an iPhone.

Apple is not being "slow" when it comes to Flash (not sure what reports you're reading or who's writing them). Apple simply refuses to support buggy, resource hogging, battery draining, crapware. Honestly, if you've ever had to deal with Flash on Mac OS X, you'd understand how they got that impression and why they came to that decision. If Adobe can't fix Flash on the Mac after all of these years, why in the world would Apple even want that garbage on their mobile devices?

With the success of the iPhone as a mobile internet device, I'm sure Adobe is now willing to make it work. Too little too late, I say. As web standards improve and advance, the need for external runtime engines like Flash and Java will dwindle - only kept on life support for backwards compatibility.

As far as video is concerned, people should move to H.264, which is supported by everything these days including Flash, Real, QuickTime, Windows Media.
  • Reply 43 of 52
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    The Palm Pre isn't out yet. Let's all judge it when it's released. I assume McNamee was basing his faster claims on the fact that the Pre has a faster, more advanced CPU than the 2008 iPhone. Yes, he's made some bold claims (too bold for his lawyers) but doesn't Steve make bold claims about Apple's products too?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Original Article

With little steam left in Palm OS sales outside of profitless Palm Centro

Got any figures to back up your claim that the Centro has been profitless for Palm? All the reports that I've read indicate that it's only the Centro that's been propping Palm up for while.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    What about the promised cure for cancer? Has that been withdrawn, too?
  • Reply 45 of 52
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Are you an Adobe plant in our midst? I've never seen one person so doggedly and persistently push one type of technology.

Quote:

Most reports point to Apple being the slow ones to Flash, so we know flash will happen on the Palm Pre. That alone if the os is all that, could make it a winner, combined with turn by turn gps. My work phone sprint htc has great tbt gps and I have an iPhone.

Imagine though if they partner and offer streaming tv. That could be a reason millions could flock. All depends on now and June. Apple gets their bread and butter from iPhone. Could be bad for apple. We'll see in time.

• Reply 46 of 52
    If McNemee were basing speed claims on processor this would clearly show he has no idea what he's talking about.

Steve never claimed the day the iPhone comes out every BlackBerry user would turn in their phones. That's quite a stretch in hyperbole.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

The Palm Pre isn't out yet. Let's all judge it when it's released. I assume McNamee was basing his faster claims on the fact that the Pre has a faster, more advanced CPU than the 2008 iPhone. Yes, he's made some bold claims (too bold for his lawyers) but doesn't Steve make bold claims about Apple's products too?

• Reply 47 of 52
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

If McNemee were basing speed claims on processor this would clearly show he has no idea what he's talking about.

Steve never claimed the day the iPhone comes out every BlackBerry user would turn in their phones. That's quite a stretch in hyperbole.

He said Safari for Windows was going to wipe Firefox off the map.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    He never said that verbally, people felt it was implied in a graph he showed at WWDC.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

He said Safari for Windows was going to wipe Firefox off the map.

• Reply 49 of 52
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:

Recognize that Apple's rationale for no Flash was processing power and battery life. If Pre's newer hardware can deal with those issues for Flash, then there's no reason the hardware in the next-gen iPhone can't. iPhone 3G was designed and fixed by fall of 2007, while the Pre and the next-gen iPhone didn't began serious design at the end of 2007.

As for tbt gps, who knows but my guess is Apple is working on this internally so that it's solution is highly integrated, and that's why they've blocked others from offering an app. I could be wrong, in which case, this is a screw-up for Apple.
  • Reply 50 of 52
    mark2005mark2005 Posts: 1,158member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RichL View Post

Right or wrong, Steve's bold claims are usually accompanied by the product's release. Except for the original iPhone.
  • Reply 51 of 52
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Recognize that Apple's rationale for no Flash was processing power and battery life. If Pre's newer hardware can deal with those issues for Flash, then there's no reason the hardware in the next-gen iPhone can't. iPhone 3G was designed and fixed by fall of 2007, while the Pre and the next-gen iPhone didn't began serious design at the end of 2007.

As for tbt gps, who knows but my guess is Apple is working on this internally so that it's solution is highly integrated, and that's why they've blocked others from offering an app. I could be wrong, in which case, this is a screw-up for Apple.

That all depends which Flash the Pre will have, how much will it drain the battery and how much processing it will use when running.

There are plenty of companies that compete with Apple by including features and specs that Apple doesn't. There isn't a product that Apple sells to consumers that you can't get from another company with more stuff added in, but that doesn't make it more functional.

Apple won't include Flash Lite and the latest Flash for desktops is still too much of a system whore to be worthwhile for any PMP. Hopefully, the lack of word from Adobe and the preview next week of iPhone OS X 3.0 will offer "one more thing" with Cook telling us that Adobe has completed an acceptable version of Flash for the OS X on ARM processors, but I doubt it.
  • Reply 52 of 52
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Webkit initially was a fork of KHTML/KJS. It doesn't remotely resemble that history, today.

Secondly, Presto is the forth coming engine that wasn't even a dream 4 years ago.

Thirdly, even Gecko is going through a complete evolution.

How does any of this help Palm today?