Apple ups Mac build plans on strong reception to new desktops

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 52
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Um... don't you get it? 95% of Mac buyers can't tell the difference between 2 Ghz and 3 Ghz, between two cores and four, between 1 gb of RAM and 4 gb. But something that's new.... well everyone knows that's a good thing.

Don't make the common nerd mistake of thinking that the normal people out there that make up 95% of the public understand or care about these things.

Don't you get it? That 95% of Mac buyers make up less than 5% of the worldwide computer market.

Whether you like it or not, there is a substantial and profitable market for people who need a little more juice in their machine. Ignoring it and denying it is not going to make it go away.
  • Reply 42 of 52
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,598member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jocknerd View Post

Mac fanatics need to realize that people aren't switching to Macs because of the hardware, they are switching because of OS X. It probably kills Steve Jobs to see this, but the hardware just doesn't matter. And I wish people would stop talking about the "integration" of OS X and Mac hardware. What integration? The insides of all Macs are the same as PC's now.

You're right about the OS.

But there's integration as well. Apple doesn't have to support the thousands of configurations MS does. Apple uses a limited number of cpu's, graphics cards, etc. They have their own mobo's that meet their specs, etc.

MS must contend with substandard mobos, enthusiast's boards, crappy power supplies, memory of unknown origins, etc. It's amazing Windows works at all!
  • Reply 43 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Carmissimo View Post

The cost of upping the RAM to 2gig, even directly through Apple, has reached the point where it's not really much of a factor any more. Here in Canada, ordering the mini with an additional gig is a $60 option. Pocket change by anyone's standards, I would think.

I do agree that the hard drive is one area in which the mini is shortchanged but on the other hand, with my current mini I have several external hard drives that are allowing me to do what I want. In that regard, Firewire 800 is a very significant upgrade.

One thing, though, is that apparently the model with the bigger hard drive performs better. Why that is, I can't imagine.

Bigger drives have better throughput.
  • Reply 44 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

Don't you get it? That 95% of Mac buyers make up less than 5% of the worldwide computer market.

Whether you like it or not, there is a substantial and profitable market for people who need a little more juice in their machine. Ignoring it and denying it is not going to make it go away.

The beauty of being a (small) minority vendor is that you can pick your customers. When you reach epic size, you have to serve almost everyone.

This, Apple knows very well.

As they keep growing, and also taking away more of MS's business, they will have to accommodate a wider base of customers. This hasn't really happened yet.
  • Reply 45 of 52
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    All users, no matter how technically unknowing, do immediately notice if a computer is 'snappier' to work with or does something they do frequently noticeably faster (fussing with photos most likely). and they all like that. so don't say they don't care about specs, even if they are unaware of them.

this update keeps the Mini on a par in those regards with typical consumer PC's. that was essential. then the bonus of course is not speed, but the Mac OS.

i just set up a 2.26GH Mini today. when i covert some big hi def Tivo files this weekend to H264, i'll know how much faster it is than my 2006 Mini was.

the impact of Snow Leopard is the next question. will that significantly boost the Mini some more?
  • Reply 46 of 52
    murphstermurphster Posts: 177member
    Quote:

It's just not true. While iPhoto does appreciate more RAM for libraries with several thousand pictures, that 95% of the population does NOT have thousands of pictures in their libraries!

Same with hard drive size - to fill up even 120 GB, you need a hundred thousand pictures, 40,000 ripped songs or some combination of the two. That 95% of the world will never get close to those numbers.

What in God's name are you talking about?

The only things that take up HDD space are songs and photographs?

I will agree that 120GB is more than enough for any computer however, but that is only because people really should be storing most things on external drives, preferably with RAID.

Most people I know have multi Terabyte drives now. If you really believe what you wrote then you will be highly surprised by the number of this 95% you speak of (you actually done a survey to get this figure?) have hard drives stuffed full of movies and TV shows.

Hell, your average iTunes user will have 120GB worth of content after a short time.

Again, another poster on this site who just seems to spew random stats that have no basis whatsoever.
  • Reply 47 of 52
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post

Yeah, that explains why 90% of all desktop computers sold now cost less than $500. The market for "powerful" computers is effectively nil.
  • Reply 48 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Murphster View Post

Most people I know have multi Terabyte drives now.

Ha! I guess that makes you an average user!

Quote:

Hell, your average iTunes user will have 120GB worth of content after a short time.

Yeah, sure they will. Your "average" iTunes user will import their "average" library of 600 CDs. Or they'll download hundreds of videos, something hardly anyone does.

Someone who claims that most of the people they know have multi terabyte drives is just the kind of nerd that I'm talking about, who has no idea that out in the real world, that's just not how people operate.
  • Reply 49 of 52
    Quote:

Ha! I guess that makes you an average user!

Yeah, sure they will. Your "average" iTunes user will import their "average" library of 600 CDs. Or they'll download hundreds of videos, something hardly anyone does.

Someone who claims that most of the people they know have multi terabyte drives is just the kind of nerd that I'm talking about, who has no idea that out in the real world, that's just not how people operate.

You know how many people consider their "Hard Drive" the computers "Memory"... Too many. I get that problem fielded all the time... "My computer says it's out of memory but it also says I have xxgb's free, why is that?"
  • Reply 50 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xwiredtva View Post

You know how many people consider their "Hard Drive" the computers "Memory"... Too many. I get that problem fielded all the time... "My computer says it's out of memory but it also says I have xxgb's free, why is that?"

Happens to me every week at least!
  • Reply 51 of 52
    Quote:

Most people I know have multi Terabyte drives now. If you really believe what you wrote then you will be highly surprised by the number of this 95% you speak of (you actually done a survey to get this figure?) have hard drives stuffed full of movies and TV shows.

Again, another poster on this site who just seems to spew random stats that have no basis whatsoever.

Are you including yourself in that "random stats" posting?
  • Reply 52 of 52
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Are you including yourself in that "random stats" posting?

No no, his stats are useful Him and all his friends with 2 TB drives in their PCs