Apple details new Voice Over controls for iPod shuffle

Comments

• Reply 81 of 102
    Let me start by saying that I love 9 out of every 10 Apple products.

This one is clearly the case of that 10th product that sucked ass.

Small just for the sake of smallness, unintuitive interface (Don Norman will vomit when he sees it), the triple click is a joke, and the no-buttons-let's-change-songs-with-the-whitebuds decision is plain stupid. They might as well add an external speaker, pre-load it with Windows 3.11 for Workgroups and change the USB cable for a serial DB9 port to finish alienating me altogether.

The sad thing for the consumer and good design, is that Apple will most likely get away with it because hey, it's APPLE, they can do no wrong lately.

The bottom line is this is a weird ipod, and a step backwards. I KNOW YOU CAN LEARN TO USE IT, IT DOES NOT LOOK THAT HARD.... the problem is.... it's not elegant, it's not simple and it's not intuitive. People instantly recognize that the small triangle means play, the small square means stop, and the same goes for forward and backward signs, + and - for volume, etc... Apple just raped standarization and gave us this monstruosity.

DESIGN FAIL.

Possible consumer success tho.
  • Reply 82 of 102
    eckingecking Posts: 1,588member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmjoe View Post

What a mess. Is it too late for Apple to consider 4GB in a 1st gen Shuffle?

I still love my 1st gen shuffle and regret selling it on ebay. I keep meaning to buy one back.
  • Reply 83 of 102
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CJD2112 View Post

Abster2core, don't even waste your time with that child. The boy truly believes he is God's gift, sadly he needs a lesson in respect. Again, it must be nice when he's behind his little keyboard and monitor, if he ever talked to me the this way in person he'd be walking funny and squeezing his ass cheeks to type.

The most brain-dead, psychotic post I've ever read on here.

You flatter yourself - way too much. Pathetic.
  • Reply 84 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ecking View Post

I still love my 1st gen shuffle and regret selling it on ebay. I keep meaning to buy one back.

I have 2, use one as flash drive. One of the.best products ever released- awesome sound.
  • Reply 85 of 102
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The most brain-dead, psychotic post I've ever read on here.

You flatter yourself - way too much. Pathetic.

Take your meds and read the comments, most people find you annoying. Interesting that I didn't mention your name yet you knew I was referring to you... Now piss off Fit.
  • Reply 86 of 102
    Quote:

Take your meds and read the comments, most people find you annoying. Interesting that I didn't mention your name yet you knew I was referring to you... Now piss off Fit.

Maybe it was because you referenced your compatriot's reply to me? Hello- anyone home?

Pssst- there's a war inside your brain.... fix it and leave me alone.
  • Reply 87 of 102
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tazinlwfl View Post

If they had actually read the information or watched the demo, these threads would be half the size.

I did watch the video. If it takes a 3 minute video to explain how to use your 3 button device, something is wrong.
  • Reply 88 of 102
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

I did watch the video. If it takes a 3 minute video to explain how to use your 3 button device, something is wrong.

Like shit. The directions are less than a minute.

F'k do people like to exaggerate.
  • Reply 89 of 102
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jen729w View Post

Um. You're buying an iPod shuffle to play in the car? Epic fail.

That's a foolish thing to say. I use mine exclusively in my car and it's the perfect solution. I don't need or want a screen while driving... I want to keep my eyes on the road. The controls on the 2nd gen are really nice and tactile... perfect for driving. And no one is going to smash my windows to steal a $50 iPod. I have it mounted with velcro tape to a pocket on my dash. It's perfect. I love it. Any why pay for more than I need? Please tell me. Why pay for more than I need? Somehow it's an "epic fail" that I purchased what was... for me... the perfect solution?

Now... two other points.

1. Voiceover isn't stupid. Voiceover is an accesibility feature. It was developed for the visally impaired. In the case of the shuffle, it's potentially useful for everyone since the shuffle has no screen. But it's reason for being is accessibility. Let me guess... making an iPod that blind people can use... "Epic Fail". Whatever. Voiceover is planned for all upcoming iPods and I have a blind friend who can't wait. He's been waiting for this forever.

2. Now... the lack of controls. Wow. Having the controls on the headphones makes using the device dependent on the headphones. This is poor interface design. Period. Regardless of the countless "most people don't use any other headphones or don't to this or that" or whatever arguments... having a MUSIC player that you doesn't function when plugged it into a stereo or headphones... wow. And for what reason? Does it make the player easier to use? No. Does it make it smaller. Somewhat... but the 2nd gen was already miniscule anyway. It didn't need to be any smaller. The cord controls are cool... don't get me wrong... but the player should not DEPEND on them and them alone.
  • Reply 90 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Guartho View Post

When the mouse was first introduced it came with an instruction manual. Are you saying the mouse is stupid tech because it had to be learned?
  • Reply 91 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

When the mouse was first introduced it came with an instruction manual. Are you saying the mouse is stupid tech because it had to be learned?

I think you might be missing the point. The mouse was an invention that helped take advantage of graphical user interfaces, it was a new development.

A music player with less buttons and a retarded 3-click and hold interface is just a sorry excuse for bad design. Specially when the previous iteration of the same device already nailed it perfectly. The problem is not LEARNING how to use it. Anybody can just learn. The problem here is the assumption that this is some kind of forward leap. There was just no need to learn because the previous shuffle was not complicated, was not obscure or not intuitive. This is just some gimmick to be able to say "hey, it's even smaller even though it didn't need to be"... and that's fine. It's still a better mp3 player than most, even if it's flawed and badly designed.

This is very similar to what happened with the 3rd generation iPod (ask anyone who went from gen 2 to gen 3... I did and it was a big mistake). They changed the interface just so they could show off their backlit buttons and they were very poorly designed as you ended up clicking them when you didn't mean to. It was ultra sensitive, unlike the current click wheel on later iPods which is perfect.
  • Reply 92 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Somehow I don't remember the mouse having its controls on its wire. \
  • Reply 93 of 102
    Quote:

Abster2core, don't even waste your time with that child. The boy truly believes he is God's gift, sadly he needs a lesson in respect. Again, it must be nice when he's behind his little keyboard and monitor, if he ever talked to me the this way in person he'd be walking funny and squeezing his ass cheeks to type.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Does AI offer anger management seminars?
  • Reply 94 of 102
    cjd2112cjd2112 Posts: 83member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Does AI offer anger management seminars?

Oh lord, are you still carrying on Fit?

Do you have a job or do you troll AI all day, baiting people with insults and personal attacks?

FYI, as you don't seem to let things go, I'll be the adult as ignoring you is the only way to get away from you. Now shoo!
  • Reply 95 of 102
    Klipsch to offer headphones for new iPod shuffle

http://www.macworld.com/article/1393...3/klipsch.html
  • Reply 96 of 102
    Review: Apple's even-tinier Shuffle does iPod proud

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/columni...e-review_N.htm
  • Reply 97 of 102
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ChibiR View Post

Somehow reminds me of this comic and the two after it...

Now those are FUNNY! !

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Wiggin View Post

I'm sorry, but replacing 5 intuitive buttons with 3 buttons, a multi-color blinking LED, and page long set of instructions to decode it all just to make it a little bit smaller is not good interface design.

There will be a learning curve - and while I think the button pushing does not seem 'intuitive' I am guessing that after using it for x minutes/hours/days, it will become 'natural' or at least usable without requiring much thought. Of course, pretty much all tech devices have some sort of learning curve.

This also reminds me of the "iPod Flea" video produced about 2 years back I think. Pretty funny and strangely close to actual trend... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBwM2U77F2c

My initial thoughts are that I like devices that have separate buttons for different controls, esp. as i do use the skip ahead and back clicks on my current Shuffle gen2 quite a bit. (since I usually play it in sequence, and have grouped songs).

But maybe playlists on the gen3 would address part of that usage issue for me.

What I wonder is, now that the Shuffle is in the long-thin mode again, could not they add a paper-thin lcd display to show title? Kind of like the display capacity meter (paper-lcd/e-ink) on my Lexar Flash drive. That would be great (in my opinion) - as it would help me to remember the names of the songs I have .

And, I am wondering if the gen3 Shuffle could be plugged into the gen2 Shuffle docking station, as that model came with about 3 feet of USB cable, which length might sometimes be more useful than the 2 inch cable on the new model. Anyone try that yet?
  • Reply 98 of 102
    guarthoguartho Posts: 1,208member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

Perhaps you are thinking of a different video. I was unable to download the video since Safari crashes when I attempt to save it, but I clocked the video and you are correct. I was wrong about the time. In my original post I called it a 3-minute video. Turns out it is a little over 4 & 1/2 minutes. I will now correct my original statement:

If it takes a 4 & 1/2 minute video to explain how to use your 3 button device, something is wrong.
  • Reply 99 of 102
    It seems that all the bitchers and moaners don't seem to get what this shuffle is designed to do.

I never really liked what the shuffle did. It didn't play music the way I wanted to listen to it. But I ordered one of the new ones yesterday. You know why?

I realized that it can do 95% of the stuff I use my nano for (the support for playlists and the voice-over, i.e. a way to identify the currently playing track, were the kickers compared to earlier shuffles). Because, when I use my nano, it's almost always on shuffle, sometimes in shuffle in particular playlist. And the only thing I need to control are skip from time-to-time, volume and sometimes looking on the screen what's currently playing (YMMV. It depends on what kind of music you're listening to. If you're stuck in the top 100 mainstream pop songs, this feature is lost on you. But for me, with lots of instrumental music like jazz, classical or semi-classical, I really look forward to have the voice-over). Which means that I can use the shuffle for listening to music, and use the nano for the stuff the shuffle cannot do -- like video, or games, which I never did much before because it meant kicking off too much music.

It's the same with the MacBook Air. I don't have one. However, if I had the some money left over, I would buy it. Because it's like my MacBook with just the stuff I use most of the time (I almost never use the optical drive in my office, but still have to lug it around when I take the MacBook home).
  • Reply 100 of 102
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by elgarak View Post

It seems that all the bitchers and moaners don't seem to get what this shuffle is designed to do.

I think they know what it is meant to do, but they are upset that it isn't designed specifically for them. I speculate that the biggest complainers about Apple are the ones that hold Apple up on some preverbal pedestal. True fanboys, really, as they think Apple is their personal Jesus Claus. But they ultimately get disappointed when the impossible or unlikely doesn't come to fruition.