'iPod' drive set to reach 20GB

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    Wow, a 20 GB iPod would be more than an MP3 player. One could carry around their entire OS X system, and boot it from any Firewire Mac. 20 Gb is enough to hold OS X and all of my files! It would be a great way to transport projects between home and work.

If Apple did it right and made it synch well with a desktop computer's drive, this could be a hell of a product. But it couldn't cost more than $400...if Apple does up the iPod's HD size, then the largest one should always top out at $400, and then the 5 Gb iPod could drop to $300 or whatever.
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Does anyone know what price Toshiba intends to sell these new HD's at?
  • Reply 23 of 29
    scadboyscadboy Posts: 189member
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>Wow, a 20 GB iPod would be more than an MP3 player. One could carry around their entire OS X system, and boot it from any Firewire Mac. 20 Gb is enough to hold OS X and all of my files! It would be a great way to transport projects between home and work. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Large enough, even, for say.. a laptop? 20GB is a decent size for a laptop these days, and the capacity is only going to increase going forward, just imagine the effect this'll have on laptop design! A 20GB harddrive the size of a pc card? to hell with 2.5" drives, 1.8" is the future! You could seriously slim down a laptop's design, or keep it the same and put multiple hard drives in a laptop!!!!

Of course, given that the 5GB drives introed at $399, I don't expect they're going to be competitive with 2.5" drives for some time. I just picked up a 30GB IBM travelstar for my 'ol Pismo for $140, shipped.

but, just imagine the possibilities...

ciao,

michael
  • Reply 24 of 29
    andersanders Posts: 6,523member
    Remember that the 20 gb HD is 8 mm high compared to the 5 mm of the other HDs. I don´t know how tight the iPod is packed but I think it is very likely that it doesn´t have room for the extra 3 mm.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    See, but that's the beauty of the iPod's design, all they have to do is add 3MM to the depth of the metal backplate and voilla! 20GB iPod. They don't even have to change screw lengths or anything, since it just pops on.

The PowerBook G4 seems to be designed similarly, the way the entire bottom panel comes off so easily, I expect Apple designed it so it could be expanded downward should changes in components or technology necessitate a slightly deeper case.

It should also be noted that this seems to be a pretty common practice in the industry, the palm m505, for example, is a mm thicker than the m500, the extra space is necessary to accomodate the color screen.

The extra depth is a minor hurdle...

ciao

michael

[ 01-17-2002: Message edited by: scadboy ]</p>
  • Reply 26 of 29
    cdhostagecdhostage Posts: 1,038member
    Yah! All Apple has to do for iPod 2 is increase the size of the case a little. Apple will probably want to wait a year or two to drain as much juice out of the current iPod as possible before revising it.

Good for us, it is: in 2 years, there will be a 50 GB HD for use in the new iPod!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I assume another benefit to the 1.8 harddrives is that there is a significant power savings. I would love to see some of the prototypes for the 20gig hardrives running color screen video that you know are sitting in the Apple bunker somewhere.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Playing huge audio files like WAV and AIFF really defeats the purpose of the 32 MB buffer. Your HDD will be spinning up and down after every single song, and your battery life will suffer.

With songs larger than 32 MB, the HDD never spins down.

[ 01-18-2002: Message edited by: Eugene ]</p>