iPhone OS 3.0 first impressions and photos [Updated]

Comments

• Reply 21 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SteveLV702 View Post

hmmm interesting wounder why its not working for any of our phones :'(

Well, you are in Nevada, so it was always a gamble.

Sorry, I just had to.
  • Reply 22 of 101
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

That's exactly what it means! Hopefully Apple will update MobileMe with a Notes tab. Also still missing is ToDo support!

And syncing it all with Exchange server.
  • Reply 23 of 101
    Will the built in Contacts application support Bluetooth connectivity for sending and receiving contacts? Or will people have to use MMS and pay every time they want to send or receive contacts?

Will Contacts also support sending vCards through email?

Can Voice Memos be sent using Bluetooth?

Can Notes be emailed from within the application or sent/received using Bluetooth?
  • Reply 24 of 101
    Nice overview and screen shots, thanks. Looking forward to this summer.

I think that we will see lots of amazing "applications" (as in uses) for the iPhone in the near future; the new capabilities really open lots of doors.

I was happy to see voice notes with trimming; now if someone goes a step further...
  • Reply 25 of 101
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

( I just wish backups were optional: I don't feel the need to have BOTH machines make a backup every time I sync. So I click cancel when using the laptop.)

Have you tried:

defaults write com.apple.iTunes DeviceBackupsDisabled -bool true

on the laptop? Check disable iPhone backups for more details.
  • Reply 26 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, you are in Nevada, so it was always a gamble.

Sorry, I just had to.

boohoo :'(
  • Reply 27 of 101
    i was hoping that, maybe under the new Spotlight homescreen, there would be a dedicated area to quickly fiddle with general settings. I always try to maximize battery life, and it would save me a lot of time if I could quickly set my Brightness, Wi-Fi, 3G and Bluetooth. I'm no coder, but it seems easy to just tack those on under the search field!

I'm still also wishing that they can improve the at-a-glance screen. (Missed calls, text messages, etc.). Other than that, OS 3.0 seems like a good package. Turn-by-turn instructions will be neat too, I just hope that the map downloads won't be expensive.
  • Reply 28 of 101
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

Will the built in Contacts application support Bluetooth connectivity for sending and receiving contacts? Or will people have to use MMS and pay every time they want to send or receive contacts?

Will Contacts also support sending vCards through email?

Can Notes be emailed from within the application or sent/received using Bluetooth?

All good questions. I hope someone can answer them, but likely NDA will prevent that right now.
  • Reply 29 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Traveler View Post

Does that mean syncing of notes between Mail.app and iPhone's Notes app? That would be great!

I hope it means iPhone Notes and Mail.app.

However, MobileMe already has an option in Leopard for syncing "Notes" - which synchronises Stickies from your dashboard on one computer to another computer. Perhaps they'll sync dashboard stickies to your iPhone?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by acslater017 View Post

I'm still also wishing that they can improve the at-a-glance screen.

I suspect that stuff like this isn't needed by developers. This release is to help developers make new apps. The glance screen, and organisation/grouping of app icons etc could still be changing.
  • Reply 30 of 101
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ehanusa View Post

Does anyone know if you are able to copy/cut/paste full events in calendar?

What part of "system-wide" don't you understand?
  • Reply 31 of 101
    Quote:

"Pay every time"? Seriously? If you are sending out contacts enough you can probably afford sending an text messages.

Quote:

To what?

Quote:

They already can be emailed from Notes. If you mean "from within the application" to mean something different (like what they will allow for 3rd party apps) this is probably exactly how it will be in those 3rd party apps.
  • Reply 32 of 101
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matthew Yohe View Post

"Pay every time"? Seriously? If you are sending out contacts enough you can probably afford sending an text messages.

And your answer to the question is what exactly?

Quote:

To what?

Since peer to peer support was one of the highlighted features, it would mean at least to other iPhones.
  • Reply 33 of 101
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by astrosmash View Post

I'm disappointed they didn't call it Lip Service.

Good point, seeing as Lip Service was built-into NEXTSTEP.
  • Reply 34 of 101
    You missed Safari AutoFill of user contact details, usernames and passwords (in Settings.app -> Safari)

=)
  • Reply 35 of 101
    The font Apple uses in Notes is still unreadable, even in landscape mode. Why not give users a choice which font to use and which corps (yes, I admit, I'm getting old).
  • Reply 36 of 101
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    I just upgraded my hi-fi stereo system with a Marantz cd player, NAD preamp and a huge Rotel amp. Bought 2 insanely sweet tickets to Depeche Mode in San Fran at the Shorline Amphitheatre, and a week of camping at Greenpoint Campground in Tofino, BC.

All this, and more, and all I had to do was not subject myself to some sadistic pleasure of having an iPhone that couldn't even cut and paste.

Who's iMovie do you think Apple would promote?

Dude listening to an insanely awesome stereo, jet-setting around to check out wicked bands, surfing bitch'n waves in the most beautiful environment on the planet...

or

Some dude going "woot, I just touched my screen and zoomed in on a shitty photo while making a phone call".

While I admit that I have some "woot, I just touched my screen and zoomed in on a shitty photo while making a phone call" envy... for what Rogers is asking, my god.

You can't cut and paste life.

Little insight on me guys. I'm pretty hardcore with my tech, but at some point you need to draw a line. As much as I love to use and even sell Apple products on the side, there comes a point where you watch an Apple Keynote, showing off iLife and all the fantastic adventures of the sample photo's and movies... and think... shit... I have no content to even use that software.

I guess thats my next Youtube commercial against Rogers...
  • Reply 37 of 101
    Is there a way to get the beta version? I knoew its a developer exclusize
  • Reply 38 of 101
    And still to-do list sync-ed with iCal

Really, I don't understand .

Should we wait the next release 4.0 \ ?
  • Reply 39 of 101
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rei_vilo View Post

And still to-do list sync-ed with iCal

Really, I don't understand .

Should we wait the next release 4.0 \ ?

I'm still waiting for iCal to have even half the features that Clarisworks Calendar had back in 1997.

So don't hold your breath.

Apple is is 12 YEARS behind in calendar technology... not good.
  • Reply 40 of 101
    Can anyone be a pal and tell if there are Data Detectors in Mail and Safari (for addresses etc)? There was mention of support of Data Detectors in the SDK, but I am wondering what that means for native apps... I would LOVE links to Maps.app and Contacts.app etc.