Apple releases updates for iLife '09 and iWork '09

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Apple on Thursday afternoon released updates for all the component applications of its new iLife '09 digital lifestyle suite with the exception of iDVD. It also released a recommended update for iWork '09. Full details and download links follow.



iLife Support 9.0.2



iLife Support 9.0.2 [3.9MB] improves overall stability and addresses a number of other minor issues. It is recommended for all users of Aperture, iLife 09, and iWork 09.



iPhoto 8.0.2



iPhoto 8.0.2 [87.8MB] improves overall stability and addresses minor issues in a number of areas, including Faces, Places, photo sharing, and slideshows.



iWeb 3.0.1



iWeb 3.0.1 [14.23MB] addresses issues when publishing to an FTP server and other minor issues.



AppleInsider earlier this month reorted that Apple was beta testing iWeb 3.0.1, an update that would fix the FTP-related issues.



iMovie 8.0.1



iMovie [24.53MB] improves overall application stability as well as addressing minor issues related to usability.



iWork 09 9.0.1 Update 1



iWork 09 9.0.1 Update 1 [42.75MB] is recommended for all iWork ’09 users, but Apple doesn't provide any release notes for this update.

Comments

  • Reply 1 of 13
    cubertcubert Posts: 728member
    I don't ever remember Apple issuing an "iWork" update and not updates for each individual app.



    Anyone else?
  • Reply 2 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,072member
    I wonder why Apple insists on keeping the actual changes in an update hidden... Perhaps they're trying to avoid admitting the fact that their software has imperfections?



    If the lack of release notes spreads further, OS updates will simply have the release note "Bug fixes and minor stability improvements." \
  • Reply 3 of 13
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    iDVD needs a Ken Burns effect on photo slide shows; that's all I have to say.
  • Reply 4 of 13
    hillstoneshillstones Posts: 1,490member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post


    I wonder why Apple insists on keeping the actual changes in an update hidden... Perhaps they're trying to avoid admitting the fact that their software has imperfections?



    If the lack of release notes spreads further, OS updates will simply have the release note "Bug fixes and minor stability improvements." \



    It has been this way for years. Nothing new. Every software product, no matter who it is from, has imperfections. Nature of the business. If it provides fixes for stability, what more of a description do you need? I don't really experience the bugs that they claim to fix, but apparently they are in there somewhere if they are taking the time to fix them.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    elijahgelijahg Posts: 2,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post


    It has been this way for years. Nothing new. Every software product, no matter who it is from, has imperfections. Nature of the business. If it provides fixes for stability, what more of a description do you need? I don't really experience the bugs that they claim to fix, but apparently they are in there somewhere if they are taking the time to fix them.



    The release notes seem to have been getting more sparse recently, they never used to just state that bugs had been fixed. If, as with iMovie 8.0.1, there have been improvements to usability in some areas, it'd be nice to know what they were instead of just coming across them as I use the app.



    I am certainly aware of imperfections in software. I'm a network admin, and I have scripts that I've had to create just for iMovie '08 and '09, so they'll work on a Mac with network home folders. It'd be nice to know if Apple fixed the bugs in this update related to network homes, however with no release notes I'll end up having to experiment to find out.
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Elijahg View Post


    I wonder why Apple insists on keeping the actual changes in an update hidden... Perhaps they're trying to avoid admitting the fact that their software has imperfections?



    If the lack of release notes spreads further, OS updates will simply have the release note "Bug fixes and minor stability improvements." \



    Maybe it is just cheaper to have someone type "fix some bugs" than paying that person to actually put a list of issues fixed? I usually don't update for a while unless I know it fixes some problem I am having. Don't mess with it if it is working well.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    russcorussco Posts: 11member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CU10 View Post


    iDVD needs a Ken Burns effect on photo slide shows; that's all I have to say.



    You could just create the slideshow in iPhoto then share it to iDVD...works for me.
  • Reply 8 of 13
    greglogreglo Posts: 63member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pt123 View Post


    Maybe it is just cheaper to have someone type "fix some bugs" than paying that person to actually put a list of issues fixed? I usually don't update for a while unless I know it fixes some problem I am having. Don't mess with it if it is working well.



    Lots of times they create the list as they are fixing - e.g.



    Bug X -- Fixed

    Bug Y -- Fixed

    Crash Z -- Fixed



    Besides, it would probably take 10-15 mins for someone to make a 20 point list. And I hardly think Apple is concerned with saving 15 minutes of wages.
  • Reply 9 of 13
    leafyleafy Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by greglo View Post


    Lots of times they create the list as they are fixing - e.g.



    Bug X -- Fixed

    Bug Y -- Fixed

    Crash Z -- Fixed



    Besides, it would probably take 10-15 mins for someone to make a 20 point list. And I hardly think Apple is concerned with saving 15 minutes of wages.



    Maybe S. Jobs is doing this personally as a hobby while away.



    1. You don't need to know

    2. You are not expected to understand this....

    .

    .



    *picks up phone* "Hey, just tell them we made changes that made it more stable" *hangs up*
  • Reply 10 of 13
    I do hope this addresses a bug in iPhoto '09.



    After extensive Faces work, a subsequent start-up of iPhoto '09, merges two face groups under one face name. ......aarrhhg !



    Updated and now the faces work seems to be sticking.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    kestralkestral Posts: 274member
    When I upgraded from iWork 08 to iWork 09, imo the newer version was much slower in terms of responsiveness and processing (I use Keynote heavily every day for work).



    This upgrade for me made iWork 09 fast again. Maybe it's just me, or maybe not?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    I was disappointed at the lack of a change list, so I did some looking into the receipt. I found the following information, with most of it deleted by me so I don't make a page long post. I don't understand most of it, so hopefully someone else does.



    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">;

    <plist version="1.0">

    <dict>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/Resources/Animations/3DChartAnimations.sfxplugin/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/Resources/Animations/Bolt.sfxplugin/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/Resources/Animations/Gizmo.sfxplugin/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Keynote.app/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Numbers.app/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Applications/iWork '09/Pages.app/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFArchiving.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFCompatibility.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFDrawables.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFUtility.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Application Support/iWork '09/Frameworks/SFWordProcessing.framework/Versions/A/Resources/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/QuickLook/iWork.qlgenerator/Contents/version.plist</key>

    <key>./Library/Spotlight/iWork.mdimporter/Contents/version.plist</key>
  • Reply 13 of 13
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leafy View Post


    Maybe S. Jobs is doing this personally as a hobby while away.



    1. You don't need to know

    2. You are not expected to understand this....

    .

    .



    *picks up phone* "Hey, just tell them we made changes that made it more stable" *hangs up*



    To be honest that's really all I care to know.
Sign In or Register to comment.