Apple Stores now selling iPhone 3G without a contract

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Apple retail stores as of Thursday are selling unrestricted quantities of the iPhone 3G at the full, non-subsidized price of $599 for the 8GB version and $699 for the 16GB models.

The move follows AT&T's plans to sell one phone per customer at the full price for existing customers of its service. In Apple's case however, there is no limit on the number of phones a buyer can purchase, and no need to have an existing AT&T contract.

Activation can completed by the customer at home through iTunes.

While the phones are still technically locked to AT&T service, it is possible (but not supported) to unlock the phones for use with other mobile service providers. In the US, that is largely limited to T-Moble, although that GSM provider does not support the same 3G network the iPhone 3G needs to connect at faster than EDGE speeds.

Apple's change in sales policy comes as the company is working to sell off remaining inventory to prepare for the upcoming launch of the new 2009 iPhone, expected to be released around the middle of June, possibly at the company's similarly-timed Worldwide Developer Conference.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    hope this means a new iphone 32gb
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Once again, Apple screws over Canada.

We need to boycott their products.

We cant buy it at Rogers unless you buy it on a 3 yr...
  • Reply 3 of 40
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    I just hope they clear up the carrier unlock issue. Just tell us when official unlocking will be available or what is the iPhone unlock policy!!!
  • Reply 4 of 40
    ksecksec Posts: 1,569member
    So they are not avalible online yet?
  • Reply 5 of 40
    bsenkabsenka Posts: 799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Hopefully this is a sign of good things to come for us though.
  • Reply 6 of 40
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    So cheap you can't afford one
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While the phones are still technically locked to AT&T service, it is possible (but not supported) to unlock the phones for use with other mobile service providers. In the US, that is largely limited to T-Moble and Metro PCS, although both GSM providers do not support the 3G network the iPhone 3G needs to connect at faster than EDGE speeds.

Metro PCS is CDMA
  • Reply 8 of 40
    Clear the inventory!!

Push the new phone!
  • Reply 9 of 40
    It's as if going from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G, there's no price decrease in what the parts cost! They REALLY want people to buy a contract with these things!

Silly thing is that paying the ETF gets you an iPhone at about $150 cheaper.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

But, seriously, why do you care? You dislike Apple, you dislike their products, and you plan to get a PC ASAP, so surely further horribleness from Apple doesn't really matter to you, at this point?
  • Reply 11 of 40
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

I just hope they clear up the carrier unlock issue. Just tell us when official unlocking will be available or what is the iPhone unlock policy!!!

It is available, just not to Americans, my Australian Vodafone one is officially unlocked as these pictures show (hot swappable SIM too).

• Reply 12 of 40
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    I bought my iPhone 3g from Telstra in Australia for $850 (AUD). Then paid another $150 to have it unlocked legitimately.

Optus will unlock your iPhone for free if you sign a contract with them and Vodafone will charge around $50.

In other words, there is an easy (and quick) way to unlock the 3g iPhones that doesn't need breaking the thing.

However, you can use the iPhone 3g with practically any network in australia.

I'm with 3. I'm thinking of going to TPG Mobile. But also seeing what my options are with Virgin Mobile.

They all work with the iPhone. Whereas in the US, you're only gonna get the proper signal with AT&T.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

I bought my iPhone 3g from Telstra in Australia for $850 (AUD). Then paid another $150 to have it unlocked legitimately.

Optus will unlock your iPhone for free if you sign a contract with them and Vodafone will charge around $50.

In other words, there is an easy (and quick) way to unlock the 3g iPhones that doesn't need breaking the thing.

However, you can use the iPhone 3g with practically any network in australia.

I'm with 3. I'm thinking of going to TPG Mobile. But also seeing what my options are with Virgin Mobile.

They all work with the iPhone. Whereas in the US, you're only gonna get the proper signal with AT&T.

Unlocking is free with Australian Vodafone but they only have them on contract.

You go to their website, enter your IMEI and a captcha then restore it in iTunes, then you get that wonderful message from iTunes I'll no doubt see again when I update to 3.0, "Your iPhone is officially unlocked".

btw Thanks to Sol Trujillo, Telstra uses the same 850 band AT&T uses.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    yvo84yvo84 Posts: 84member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Unlocking is free with Australian Vodafone but they only have them on contract.

You go to their website, enter your IMEI and a captcha then restore it in iTunes, then you get that wonderful message from iTunes I'll no doubt see again when I update to 3.0, "Your iPhone is officially unlocked".

btw Thanks to Sol Trujillo, Telstra uses the same 850 band AT&T uses.

Yeah but Telstra is extremely expensive and has terrible customer service.

My contract is up next month with 3.

I'm gonna either go with the 49 cap with TPG which gives you $1000 worth of calls, text and mms plus 500megs of data.

Or with Virgin's 99 cap, which gives you unlimited calls, text and mms and 1gig of data.
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

But, seriously, why do you care? You dislike Apple, you dislike their products, and you plan to get a PC ASAP, so surely further horribleness from Apple doesn't really matter to you, at this point?

Actually I like Apple. I was expecting more when I came over.

The iPhone has been tons of issues for me. I want others to experience what I have lol

The iMac has been problematic too...

I Loved the 1st gen iPhone though!
  • Reply 16 of 40
    fraklincfraklinc Posts: 244member
    This makes to sense at all cause your only doing AT&T a favor since you have to go to them for 3G access anyway. Now if people had a option to buy the unit at full price in exchange for cheaper plans then it would have been worth it.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    So, iPod Touch is going for 229 US, and Unlocked iPhone is going for 599 US... does the cell phone technology that's in these devices really cost 370 dollars? If so, why? Licensing or what? I'm sure there is some "good" reason, and its part of the Wireless carriers (even though I'd like to blame Apple, I think the carriers have their hands in deeper on this one), or is the price PURELY to try to encourage people to sign up with ATT?

Something smells very fishy.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by yvo84 View Post

Yeah but Telstra is extremely expensive and has terrible customer service.

My contract is up next month with 3.

I'm gonna either go with the 49 cap with TPG which gives you $1000 worth of calls, text and mms plus 500megs of data.

Or with Virgin's 99 cap, which gives you unlimited calls, text and mms and 1gig of data.

Despite being a loyal TPG Internet customer for many years I hesitate to deal with the phone company formerly known as Soul which incorporated B Digital who were/are not exactly reknowned for their billing systems, I think you better head over to Whirlpool.net and do a little research.

Vodafone have just introduced a $114 Unlimited Plan with 2GB data included.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post

It's as if going from the iPhone to the iPhone 3G, there's no price decrease in what the parts cost! They REALLY want people to buy a contract with these things!

put the blame where it belongs. ATT. they have the exclusive rights to service the phone as payback for fronting part of the devo costs. this is known fact and has been for a while. but folks were buying the 1st phone with no activation and then unlocking it. requiring activation and contract signing at the time of the buy was their way of trying to make sure they got the subscribers. and it probably worked to a point. at least if someone backed out they broke even between the ETF and the unrefundable activation fees.

there is a strong chance that this change is not only about selling down stock before there might be a new model but also to slam resellers. at this point they go into the stores, set up a family plan, grab 5 phones on the cheapest plan, cancel on day 31 and pay the ETF then unlock them and resell them on whatever network (some of them probably not telling customers there is no warranty on the phone now but that's a different thread). which means that ATT is still out $200 a unit they paid on each phone (that's right they are actually paying $400 in the cost if you are on an eligible contract). they can't stop these folks but they can make sure they aren't out any money. so they get it all upfront.

and who knows, maybe their exclusive contract is going to end soon so it comes out the same whether the phones go no contract and they get the money now or in 6 -12 months when the exclusive ends and folks break and switch then. heck it's better now cause in 6 months the ETF will have gone down $30.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

put the blame where it belongs. ATT. they have the exclusive rights to service the phone as payback for fronting part of the devo costs. this is known fact and has been for a while. but folks were buying the 1st phone with no activation and then unlocking it. requiring activation and contract signing at the time of the buy was their way of trying to make sure they got the subscribers. and it probably worked to a point. at least if someone backed out they broke even between the ETF and the unrefundable activation fees.

There is another aspect to the contract thing.

In Australia the other night there was a story on one of our Current Affairs (I use the term loosely as they seem to be more concerned about sensationalized affairs and product promotion.) Programs, which crop up fairly regularly, some poor sap with an iPhone on a $30 plan whining about the thousand's of dollars in data charges he'd racked up.

I suppose it's different in a country with WiFi on every corner like the US, but someone has to protect these idiots from themselves.