How come there's no reception in elevators, subways, basements etc?

2»

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 32
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    My point had nothing directly to do with Skype. The point was that Skype was coming to both the iPhone and BlackBerry, but people only complained that the iPhone did not have Skype but did not complain about the BlackBerry.



    My doubts, arguments, and challenges are not based on opinion they are based on definitive tests.



    Swedish Scientists Test iPhone 3G's Antenna: It's Fine



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    I can say nothing about what is happening to Skype for mobile platforms, but complaints about modest reception capabilities of iPhone are very well proven for me by my everyday experience.

    OK, there will be always doubts and arguments challenging my point of view, I can't help that. It may then be viewed as my future iPhone wish list, which I promote everywhere:



  • Reply 22 of 32
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    My point had nothing directly to do with Skype. The point was that Skype was coming to both the iPhone and BlackBerry, but people only complained that the iPhone did not have Skype but did not complain about the BlackBerry.



    People were complaining about Skype on BlackBerry here, for instance. I gave already some hints as to what's the difference between iPhone and BB audiences.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post


    My doubts, arguments, and challenges are not based on opinion they are based on definitive tests. Swedish Scientists Test iPhone 3G's Antenna: It's Fine



    Firstly, thank you very much for posting at least some results of comparing reception capabilities. Such a comparison is quite rare.



    Here go more or less exact and digitized results of their experiments:

    Quote:

    The P1 is a little better at receiving signals and the N73 a little better at transmitting signals. But the difference is small. The difference between the iphone's and the P1's receive sensitivity is 2 dB. - It is not much. At a difference of 4-6 dB one might start to wonder if there is anything wrong, says Mats Andersson.



    You can't deny my estimations though intuitive lead me in right direction.



  • Reply 23 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post


    Surely you can handle a 40 second elevator ride without phone service!



    Tell you what really hacks me off is those who can't wait to get off of the plane to use their phone. Unless calling for an ambulance, I can't think of anything that necessitates all the phone use as soon as the wheels touch the ground.



    That said, I don't relish cell phone use in flight. I may just buy a jammer to take on board when that happens!!
  • Reply 24 of 32
    drxcmdrxcm Posts: 50member
    Elevators are like Faraday cages, they reduce reception bigtime... Look here



    http://www.repeaterstore.com/news/faraday-cages/
  • Reply 25 of 32
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mgreencrna View Post


    I can't think of anything that necessitates all the phone use as soon as the wheels touch the ground.



    As soon as the wheels touch the ground here in STL, I call my wife to come pick me up. If she leaves right after I call, she'll be driving up to the doors outside the luggage carousel just seconds after I exit the building.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    mellomello Posts: 555member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    May seem like an obvious question but you'd think they'd have the tech to allow for reception in these types of locations? Are little devices available whereby you could install them in elevators and receive a signal? I know they have devices to block signals in movie theaters. Doesn't the industry have portable signal extension devices?



    That bugs me also. Especially since my co-worker's cellphones seem to have no problem working

    in the elevator or underground parking structure. Also, my 3G download speeds fluctuate on daily

    basis from my cubicle. It doesn't seem to matter if I have 3+ bars or not. Sometimes a 5 minute

    Youtube video can take an hour+ to stream or it will stream with no pauses at all.



    My hope is that these problems will disappear with the next iPhone and AT&T network upgrades. I

    also hope that Apple adds a second camera for video iChats over WiFi.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    That may mean nothing special but nokia's two decades in producing cell phones should have taught them how to choose suppliers...
  • Reply 28 of 32
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,219member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    That may mean nothing special but nokia's two decades in producing cell phones should have taught them how to choose suppliers...



    OK, we get it. You like Nokia. Can we move on now?
  • Reply 29 of 32
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    OK, we get it. You like Nokia.



    not quite. I hate nokias' buttons and narrow screens.



    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr. Me View Post


    Can we move on now?



    Absolutely. As soon as something interesting looms in Apple's world I sniff the battery. Speculations about June 2009 arrivals have no batteries.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    A safety mechanism for elevator systems having an elevator car, whose position in an elevator shaft can be changed, wherein plural entrances to the elevator shaft and tothe elevator car each have at least one sliding door which is automatically operable by means of a drive mechanism, the safety mechanism comprising: at least one detector device provided at each sliding door to monitor a zone of at least one pinchingedge between a sliding door and a door jamb, and/or between two adjoining sliding door panels of the sliding door

    to know more on this you can refer to http://homeimprovementcontractors911.com/
  • Reply 31 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by success View Post


    May seem like an obvious question but you'd think they'd have the tech to allow for reception in these types of locations? Are little devices available whereby you could install them in elevators and receive a signal? I know they have devices to block signals in movie theaters. Doesn't the industry have portable signal extension devices?



    I don't think so still. Every time I have a conversation with someone on my phone in the Tube, my reception bar falls fast and soon my conversation is cut off.



    Phone problem? No.

    Reception problem? 100% Yes.
  • Reply 32 of 32
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post


    That's what I wish Apple would focus on. Before any oled screens, biometric sensors etc.



    +1! And maybe they should throw in the bluetooth capability of sending and receiving files ( hopefully we see this in 3.1,3.2 or 4.0 )
Sign In or Register to comment.