Report: two distinct iPhone models nearing production

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    roos24roos24 Posts: 170member
    It was a smart move from Apple to go with AT&T and thus with the world standard gsm.

Verizon has its own proprietary standard that is not compatible anywhere. BB had to squeeze a gsm chip in their Storm next to the CDMA chip, otherwise people couldn't use it on their overseas business trips.

And even though it may be a better system, I believe that CDMA is a dead end street (e.g. Sony Beta).

I for one hope that Apple will not spend any money to try and put a CDMA chip in the iPhone.
  • Reply 22 of 53
    morkymorky Posts: 200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JohnnyKrz View Post

It wasn't disclosed? Then it must just be coincidence that we remember hearing 5 years from numerous (ie, ALL) sources.

Actually, the most commonly heard estimate for the contract is to 2010. Five years is by no means a certain assumption.
  • Reply 23 of 53
    me1812me1812 Posts: 2member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A little-known equity research firm ... Lazard Capital Markets

When did one of largest and oldest securities underwriter in the United States become "[a] little known equity research firm"?
  • Reply 24 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by oneaburns View Post

I just want to know what the thing is gonna look like. The one thing that has been hampering me from upgrading my original iPhone to the 3g is the plastic, curved back. I like the flat surface for when I'm typing on it while it's on my desk and I like the aluminum. I'm hoping they go back to that or something similar.

Maybe on your desk that's true, but the 3G is way more comfortable in your hand than the original. A friend and I were just comparing that tonight and it was undeniable.
  • Reply 25 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Roos24 View Post

It was a smart move from Apple to go with AT&T and thus with the world standard gsm.

Verizon has its own proprietary standard that is not compatible anywhere. BB had to squeeze a gsm chip in their Storm next to the CDMA chip, otherwise people couldn't use it on their overseas business trips.

And even though it may be a better system, I believe that CDMA is a dead end street (e.g. Sony Beta).

I for one hope that Apple will not spend any money to try and put a CDMA chip in the iPhone.

As an Apple stockholder, I hope like hell Apple will put a CDMA chip in the iPhone.
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by me1812 View Post

When did one of largest and oldest securities underwriter in the United States become "[a] little known equity research firm"?

Lazard Capital Markets was just recently created; thus it is little known.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lazard_Capital_Markets

Whether the parent is big or small, young or old, the off-spring is young and small-seeming.

---

On topic:

I hope the new iPhone has video capabilities, but that Apple focuses on making better still images.

I'm half-way through a contract on my 3G that I don't mind breaking...
  • Reply 27 of 53
    silenciosilencio Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

As an Apple stockholder, I hope like hell Apple will put a CDMA chip in the iPhone.

As an Apple stockholder, I hope Apple doesn't sink precious R&D dollars into yesterday's tech. Let Verizon have another crack at it when they and ATT and everybody else adapt LTE for their 4G networks over the next couple of years.

Besides, Verizon had first dibs on the iPhone, and they blew it. Let 'em suffer a while longer.
  • Reply 28 of 53
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by meelash View Post

Not true. In the keynote with the ATT (at that time Cingular) exec, it was just stated as a "multi-year" contract. That means this year is the first possible year that it could be over. Here's hoping!

To add to your comment, it was the Verizon exec who stated that Apple came to them first with an exclusive 5 year deal. I wonder what they think about that deal now. Even my Mother, whom I affectionately describe as 'techtarded', wants to jump into the smartphone community. Which means breaking away from Verizon.

Quote:

Does China Mobile use the same standard as Verizon (CDMA or whatever it is?)?

I can find GSM and UMTS Frequency ranges for different regions and carriers, but not for CDMA-based networks.
    Quote:

All the new iPhone goodness will just depress me unless a Verizon model is released . But I don't think Apple would be lame enough to release a Verizon version without Wi-fi, etc.

I don't think so either; however, if they did back down on negotiations to get a device on China Mobile they might be able to persuade AT&T to allow a more limited device on Verizon and/or Sprint that has no video recording, WiFi, etc. Just throwing it out there, though I seriously doubt Apple or AT&T would want that for the US.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

I would laugh my ass of if they gave all you Verizon winers an iPhone w/o WiFi.

That would actually be pretty funny.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    This analyst is as bullish about the iPhone as Abramsky is bearish. It is

remarkable that they both inhabit the same reality. How can a person

believe either one of them?
  • Reply 30 of 53
    nvidia2008nvidia2008 Posts: 9,262member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

This analyst is as bullish about the iPhone as Abramsky is bearish. It is

remarkable that they both inhabit the same reality. How can a person

believe either one of them?

Pure non-dualism. http://www.nonduality.com/ ...It may or may not make sense to you right now. Both bullish and bearish states do not actually exist in reality. ...No I am not puffing a bong right now...
  • Reply 31 of 53
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nvidia2008 View Post

Pure non-dualism. http://www.nonduality.com/ ...It may or may not make sense to you right now. Both bullish and bearish states do not actually exist in reality. ...No I am not puffing a bong right now...

Who needs a bong? Trying to grasp that kind of abstraction gives me an acid flashback.

( but thanks for trying to help )
  • Reply 32 of 53
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Morky View Post

You must mean that you don't like money.

As an Apple stockholder, I'd settle for some quick gain and dump the stock as soon as such an announcement drove the price up. Then I'd buy it again during the inevitable pullback that would result once everyone realized that running data at an iPhone-user level through a CDMA antenna made the phone so hot that the average user couldn't comfortably hold it and by the same token significantly shortened the life of its components. We're talking a boatload of warranty expense and lawsuits far in excess of "hairline cracks."

I'm inclined to speculate that nobody fully understood how much data iPhone users would use. While Apple surely understands now the nightmare that engineering a CDMA iPhone would be, I doubt it was always of such concern. They lucked out when talks with Verizon fell through and frankly, so did Verizon.

I feel for those of you who need the massive expanse of coverage that the CDMA network in North America provides. For now, GSM is where the iPhone needs to be.
  • Reply 33 of 53
    constable odoconstable odo Posts: 1,041member
    What does China have against WiFi? Totally absurd. Are the carriers over there that greedy? It seems like the larger, densely populated cities in China would certainly benefit from WiFi use. Using just 3G on all iPhones would overload their networks instantly. Then they'll say that something is the matter with Apple's iPhone.
  • Reply 34 of 53
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Constable Odo View Post

What does China have against WiFi? Totally absurd. Are the carriers over there that greedy? It seems like the larger, densely populated cities in China would certainly benefit from WiFi use. Using just 3G on all iPhones would overload their networks instantly. Then they'll say that something is the matter with Apple's iPhone.

China has a communist government. Communist governments (esp. China) control access to the internet to block content they feel is inappropriate. If the phone had no WiFi, then internet usage would be forced through the wireless carrier. If that carrier is China Mobile (which is state-owned) then the restrictions can be tighter and the individual monitoring greater. Apple will have to ignore that this will occur, because it could leader to higher levels of oppression, and that's PR that Apple certainly does not want.
  • Reply 35 of 53
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post

China has a communist government. Communist governments (esp. China) control access to the internet to block content they feel is inappropriate. If the phone had no WiFi, then internet usage would be forced through the wireless carrier. If that carrier is China Mobile (which is state-owned) then the restrictions can be tighter and the individual monitoring greater. Apple will have to ignore that this will occur, because it could leader to higher levels of oppression, and that's PR that Apple certainly does not want.

Except that the Chinese government controls the internet as well, so it's not like Wi-fi is going to magically be uncensored. I think there must be some other explanation...
  • Reply 36 of 53
    Quote:

Except that the Chinese government controls the internet as well, so it's not like Wi-fi is going to magically be uncensored. I think there must be some other explanation...

Don't forget that WiFi can also be used without access to a government controlled Internet.
  • Reply 37 of 53
    floccusfloccus Posts: 138member
    Quote:

Thats why I said the restrictions can be TIGHTER. Its well known that the Chinese government isn't perfect in their internet censorship. But a mobile carrier can set it up so only white-listed sites could be accessed over their network. Its not a situation Apple would really want to be in, but its a possibility, and thus I threw it out as speculation for people to ponder.
  • Reply 38 of 53
    meelashmeelash Posts: 1,045member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Don't forget that WiFi can also be used without access to a government controlled Internet.

Umm... I would guess that the government censors at the level of the main internet pipes (<- not sure that's the right word) in and out of the country and not on an individual level at every house. So unless you're talking about in-country rogue wireless networks that are not connected to the rest of the world, I don't see how wi-fi would be any less censored than cell-fi.
  • Reply 39 of 53
    bigpicsbigpics Posts: 1,397member
    I want the one with the jet pack AND the pony.

The rest of you can have the one the size of a postage stamp with no screen or buttons that projects a hologram and comes with a "3 area switch" on the headset with 437 easy to memorize button combos.
  • Reply 40 of 53
    Quote:

Umm... I would guess that the government censors at the level of the main internet pipes (<- not sure that's the right word) in and out of the country and not on an individual level at every house. So unless you're talking about in-country rogue wireless networks that are not connected to the rest of the world, I don't see how wi-fi would be any less censored than cell-fi.

You don't see how it would be any less censored? So you think that each WiFi capable device has censoring capabilities?

Consider for a moment a public demonstration taking place in a busy public forum that is coordinated by WiFi enabled devices that are not connected to a carrier, that are not to connected to the internet, that are not connected to anything but each other on an local area, ad-hoc, encrypted network that was discussed in private and enabled nearly instantly to coordinate an attack with unprecedented timing.

That is just a quick and dirty idea off the top of my head, but the point is that the government would have no control over WiFi unless they actively jammed the wireless signals. Think beyond the Internet.

PS: The correct term is "a series of tubes."