Report: Apple's next iPhone to sport 3.2-megapixel camera

Comments

• Reply 101 of 189
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

You rarely have a good argument, and that's all you usually can say to one.

If you want to argue a point with me, I'd be happy to do so, as you know. In fact, I responded to a number of your posts, and you didn't respond in kind. So, who is lame?

Present your argument to me in your next post, and we can discuss it.

You're response here is useless. You can't even respond to what I said properly.

My response to that guy was correct, considering what he said.

And you rarely know what you're talking about and keeping going off on some bizarre tangents so the feeling is mutual. Good bye.
  • Reply 102 of 189
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Seeing an idiot using a wee camera and taking a flash lit picture of Gibraltar at night off a ship five miles away will long amuse me.

OMG, you just freaked me out. Were you on my ship???

• Reply 103 of 189
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

And you rarely know what you're talking about and keeping going off on some bizarre tangents so the feeling is mutual. Good bye.

Sure.

Typical.

Chicken!
  • Reply 104 of 189
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:

Sure.

Typical.

Chicken!

• Reply 105 of 189
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JupiterOne View Post

OMG, you just freaked me out. Were you on my ship???

Ha ha, I doubt it but maybe ...
  • Reply 106 of 189
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Mmmm....chicken.....
  • Reply 107 of 189
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

You rarely have a good argument, and that's all you usually can say to one.

If you want to argue a point with me, I'd be happy to do so, as you know. In fact, I responded to a number of your posts, and you didn't respond in kind. So, who is lame?

Present your argument to me in your next post, and we can discuss it.

You're response here is useless. You can't even respond to what I said properly.

My response to that guy was correct, considering what he said.

He doesn't want to have a discussion. He wants to push people's buttons and provoke

a reaction. Notice how often his posts include references to fanboys, drinking koolaid,

and Apple products sucking. I was given some hope last night when I read a post from

Solipsism, where he seemed to be getting tired of bickering with Teckstud. Now you seem

to be volunteering to step in and satisfy Teckstud's neediness. Spare us please and just

ignore him.
  • Reply 108 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

He doesn't want to have a discussion. He wants to push people's buttons and provoke

a reaction. Notice how often his posts include references to fanboys, drinking koolaid,

and Apple products sucking. I was given some hope last night when I read a post from

Solipsism, where he seemed to be getting tired of bickering with Teckstud. Now you seem

to be volunteering to step in and satisfy Teckstud's neediness. Spare us please and just

ignore him.

If he went away for a while, then it worked.

I just got a post, as a mod, reporting my post!

I tried to explain that it's a way of dealing with him when he gets too far out.
  • Reply 109 of 189
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

Not not really much an update and still won't make the iPhone camera replacement. It's a shame as I use the camera on the iPhone quite a bit but would also like to to take good shots in all conditions, from skiing, walking about town to party photos in bad lighting.

Your subject title says "3.2 megapixels is still poor".

Keep in mind that more megapixels won't fill your need. It's a lot like giving someone dry bread when they're really asking for water. If you take a certain amount of light and divide it amongst more pixels, you're going to get a worse image.
  • Reply 110 of 189
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Keep in mind that more megapixels won't fill your need. It's a lot like giving someone dry bread when they're really asking for water. If you take a certain amount of light and divide it amongst more pixels, you're going to get a worse image.

Or it's like having 6 cup holders in 2 passengers sports car!!
  • Reply 111 of 189
    It can be seen in this picture that there's access to Youtube accounts, maybe for uploading videos. Also Video Tag and the Video publish option in Mobile Me are strongly suggesting video is going to be created on the iPhone itself.

Ok I was unable to upload the picture. Check the Podcast publication of the 3.0 sneak peak (1:21:26s)
  • Reply 112 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

Just so I follow you here... so this would mean 10 solar panels will get one tenth the energy as a single solar panel at the same location and same moment exposed for the same duration?
  • Reply 113 of 189
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I have to agree- they keep blaming the camera and it's sensors and not the software (Apple). We all know that even the lowest level camera less than one MP can capture video and have been for years.

It's NOT the software. There are third-party apps that record video on the existing iPhones. (OOOH, 15 frames per second?! WOW.) Those 1MP cameras you're talking about have the hardware to support it — and it's easy for them, because they're not phones (and game machines and whatever).

The number of megapixels in the sensor doesn't matter when you're talking about video recording, because it's not doing the hard work; the processor is. And the processor just isn't good enough to capture decent-quality video at 30fps. If you were Apple, and you had the choice between offering shitty video recording or just not offering it, which would you choose?
  • Reply 114 of 189
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gmcalpin View Post

There are third-party apps that record video on the existing iPhones. They all suck my ass dry. (OOOH, 15 frames per second?! WOW.)

It's NOT the software. The hardware just isn't good enough to capture decent-quality video. If you were Apple, and you had the choice between offering shitty video recording or just not offering it, which would you choose?

I'd wait till I got it right and hopefully that is iPhone Mk 3, coming soon ... YEAH!!
  • Reply 115 of 189
    ireality85ireality85 Posts: 316member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by m2002brian View Post

All else being equal?

More MP is PROVEN (http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/mpmyth.htm) to be pretty much useless.

If you have ever used a computer then you should know that a 100% photo size has nothing to do with it's "naive" size. If your screen resolution is 640x480 and you try to view a 1920x1080 pic at "100%" it will overflow off the sides of the screen. Now set your monitor resolution to 2560 × 1600 and you will notice your "100%" sized photo is SMALLER and fits easily within the sreen. There is no 100%, "native size" would be the size of the optical sensor on the camera. I have a projector at home and amazingly I can watch a "100%" 720p picture all the way from a 40" screen to a 200" screen, but no matter how big it's always 1280x720. HDTV (broadcast) cameras use 2.x mega pix sensors (i checked it out), but they're huge and have a awesome optics and processing. They achieve such a great picture from less pixels by being more precise. It's the complete oppisite with consumer cameras. Instead of less pixels and better optics and processing (cause numbers mean more to consumers, they're tangible, show off able) they give more pixles to make up for the fact that some pixels won't be doing shit because the lens won't get the light to the right places at the right time. It's like cathing rain through a bad roof, they just give a bigger cup and hope to catch most of it. Instead of placing the cups right where they're needed and not wasting unneeded cups.

So maybe I'm just missing something? You say that more MPs are pretty much proven to be useless (and therefore do not add to the quality of an image), but then you go on to correctly say that for consumer devices like "point-and-shoot" cameras the additional MPs compensate for the lack of superior optics. I understand how this operates and have understood that all along. But for arguments sake, don't those additional MPs increase the quality of images, merely in a round-about way due to lesser grade parts and technology? Sure, industrial HD cameras are able to produce HD images at a mere 2MPs, but you're also talking thousands of dollars for such capability, not a consumer grade "point-and-shoot" device. I guess my point has been all along that, sure, the iPhone is capable of outputting HD imagery, but I would only rank its current 2MP as "satisfactory" due to the fact the iPhone is not first and foremost an image recording device and so does not sport any fancy optical equipment, etc etc. Therefore, given this, wouldn't an increase in MP to 3.2 (or anything above) come as an added benefit and increase the overall image quality due to its hardware limitations?

ps. your cup analogy is a good one.
  • Reply 116 of 189
    Quote:

Just so I follow you here... so this would mean 10 solar panels will get one tenth the energy as a single solar panel at the same location and same moment exposed for the same duration?

I think he means that if the total area was the same, but divided up among ten times as many panels, with the attendant space between them making the total area less, and the electrical noise from each small panel being a larger part of the entire signal, the quality and quantity of the electricity would be less.
  • Reply 117 of 189
    Quote:

The number of megapixels in the sensor doesn't matter when you're talking about video recording, because it's not doing the hard work; the processor is ...

Partial quote

Enough with the over simplification here guys! If this were true the high definition cameras we use for shooting extreme sports for network TV would not be measured by multiple factors, lenses and 'SENSORS' being right up there. The megapixel count does matter as do many other factors. In the end it is all a balancing act at any given price /performance level. Do you think video cameras for IMAX use 2 MP sensors? Helloooo.
  • Reply 118 of 189
    Quote:

I think he means that if the total area was the same, but divided up among ten times as many panels, with the attendant space between them making the total area less, and the electrical noise from each small panel being a larger part of the entire signal, the quality and quantity of the electricity would be less.

Is this this theory based on; light is a wave, a particle or is this quantum mechanics?

I am being facetious, sorry. I just meant show me a camera in the same light conditions with a larger MP sensor (with associated lens) that can't do a better job.
  • Reply 119 of 189
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:

Enough with the over simplification here guys!… The megapixel count does matter as do many other factors. In the end it is all a balancing act at any given price /performance level. Do you think video cameras for IMAX use 2 MP sensors? Helloooo.

No shit? That's not the point that I was addressing, and you know it. :P I was talking specifically about the iPhone, not in general.

Also, IMAX isn't shot digitally; it's shot on 70mm film.
  • Reply 120 of 189
    Quote:

No shit? That's not the point that I was addressing, and you know it. :P

Also, IMAX isn't shot digitally; it's shot on 70mm film.

Sorry, I meant to say RED cameras not IMAX and mentally blinked ...

The Red info is a good indicator of sensors quality, drool. I quote ..

"Typical high-end HD camcorders have 2.1M pixel sensors and record with 3:1:1 color sub-sampled video at up to 30fps. RED offers the Mysterium ? Super 35mm cine sized (24.4×13.7mm) sensor, which provides 4K (up to 30 fps), 3K (up to 60 fps) and 2K (up to 120 fps) capture, and all this with wide dynamic range and color space in 12 bit native RAW. At 4K, that?s more than 5 times the amount of information available every second and a vastly superior recording quality. In addition, you get the same breathtaking Depth of Field and selective focus as found in film cameras using equivalent 35mm P/L mount lenses. Mysterium ? boasts greater than 66db Dynamic Range thanks to its large 29 sq. micron pixels. And 12,065,000 pixels deliver resolution that can only be called Ultra High Definition."