Restrictions drove U2 to switch sides from Apple to RIM - report

Comments

• Reply 41 of 110
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

U2 goes on and does something with RIM for the Blackberry, which will probably be something with less whiz-bang bells and whistles. However, Apple loses the promotional opportunity completely. Furthermore, Apple loses some of its edge as the media smartphone as opposed to just the smartphone.

Right, because promoting a U2 concert tour validates a RIM smartphone as an astonishingly capable media player. And of course having the iPod app and the iTunes store built in the iPhone only makes it a smartphone with some media features. Furthermore, anyone who still considers the iPhone as just a smartphone and not an entirely new mobile platform, doesn't have a clue about computing technology. Who are these tools that write this stuff?

I'm a fan of U2, always have been... I thought they were really desperate when they did the whole iPod thing with Apple. This promotional deal with Blackberry pushes them further into that hole. Makes you lose a bit of respect for a band that fought so hard against corporate rock, well on the surface anyway.

Besides all that, who really cares about who's promoting U2's concert? Except maybe people in their late thirties and early forties who are still hanging onto whatever is left of their youth?
  • Reply 42 of 110
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Bono: Sign up for the Developer Program, hire some actual developers and designers. Have them interact with the iPhone Program. Deal with it. The fact you think you deserve the royal treatment and got rebuked should tell you that U2 is puny compared to Apple.

Grow up and pay your taxes lad. Stop cheating the government of your fair share and then parading around about how cruel governments are by not giving back more money.

"Grow up and pay your taxes"? Taxation without representation is theft.
  • Reply 43 of 110
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

"Grow up and pay your taxes"? Taxation without representation is theft.

Indeed. Besides, if Obama's appointees don't have to pay them, why should we?
  • Reply 44 of 110
    ...also, I stand by my theory that this whole thing blew up because Jobs wasn't around to negotiate some kind of arrangement. He could placate the "artists" while still giving up nothing on the business side.
  • Reply 45 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jazzguru View Post

Indeed. Besides, if Obama's appointees don't have to pay them, why should we?

Just one of the supreme ironies of Geithner's appointment.
  • Reply 46 of 110
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macslut View Post

According to AppleInsider, ?

But this ultimately ends up hurting Apple.//

The bottom line though is that this is yet another example of how Apple needs to open up and play nicer with partners. Somehow though I can?t imagine Steve Jobs is spending his time off right now ripping up iU2 photos.

I don't buy this argument, especially without knowing specifically what this "great idea" is. It sounds to me like U2's request for "access to their labs and people" actually means engineering support. I don't necessarily fault Apple for deciding not to make such an investment. Do you suppose U2 actually offered to pay for product development efforts?

Apple's running a business, and in my opinion, their engineering staff is stretched pretty thin. They have to make intelligent decisions about how best to utilize their resources. I trust Apple's judgement in the matter.
  • Reply 47 of 110
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by iBill View Post

I don't buy this argument, especially without knowing specifically what this "great idea" is. It sounds to me like U2's request for "access to their labs and people" actually means engineering support. I don't necessarily fault Apple for deciding not to make such an investment. Do you suppose U2 actually offered to pay for product development efforts?

Apple's running a business, and in my opinion, their engineering staff is stretched pretty thin. They have to make intelligent decisions about how best to utilize their resources. I trust Apple's judgement in the matter.

It sounds like Bono is similar to many people who post here, in that he thinks he knows how

to run Apple better than Apple's management. Magnify that sentiment many times due to

the megalomania a person gets from being treated like a god for decades, and it is entirely

predictable that U2 would want to dictate to Apple (and that Apple would decline).
  • Reply 48 of 110
    ibillibill Posts: 400member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's penchant for keeping its partners out of the loop reportedly cost the company its relationship with alternative rock band U2, which recently drew sponsorship from rival smartphone market Research in Motion.

I read AI's report and the linked article, and I don't see anything that suggests that Apple's "penchant for keeping its partners out of the loop", arrogance, or secrecy, had anything whatsoever to do with this. What seems much more likely to be the case is that U2 wanted access to Apple's engineering resources, and Apple had different plans.

Slow news day I guess.
  • Reply 49 of 110
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by gto65l View Post

It's kind of like that old philosophical question...

If U2 joins RIM, Does anyone care?

I don't, so Apple isn't going to make an ugly iPod I wouldn't buy anyway.

They should brand it as U2's RIM Job.
  • Reply 50 of 110
    U2 hasn't had a decent album since achtung baby. Their best days are over. Good luck selling your app for $2.99 which last I heard was rim's minimum app price.
  • Reply 51 of 110
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    It is basically business. Apple and U2 had mutual benefit from working together back then but not anymore. It is not difficult to understand. It is not like they both did it for world peace.
  • Reply 52 of 110
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,402member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mr Squid View Post

U2 has not been alternative since the 1990s. Now they just do bland pop rock. Long ago, however, they were brilliant.

Agreed. 100%.
  • Reply 53 of 110
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

I like that U2 and RIM have a "shared vision." Because I think corporate "rock" is awesome.

thanks man! that made my day!
  • Reply 54 of 110
    tofinotofino Posts: 697member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

snip

"I'm very excited about this," Bono is reported to have said. "Research In Motion is going to give us what Apple wouldn't -- access to their labs and their people so we can do something really spectacular."

snip

and here i thought bono had invented the palm pre all by himself... you know... in his secret lair...
  • Reply 55 of 110
    It seems Apple now has a great relationship with Coldplay, given the itunes store ad of viva la vida and frequently playing their music before the keynotes.

Apple never sponsors anything anyway, do they?
  • Reply 56 of 110
    Us Alternative Rock? I wouldn't call them alternative. They are Rock.
  • Reply 57 of 110
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Bono: Sign up for the Developer Program, hire some actual developers and designers. Have them interact with the iPhone Program. Deal with it. The fact you think you deserve the royal treatment and got rebuked should tell you that U2 is puny compared to Apple.

Grow up and pay your taxes lad. Stop cheating the government of your fair share and then parading around about how cruel governments are by not giving back more money.

• Reply 58 of 110
    In the words of Bill Hicks, Bono was off the artistic roll call years ago. Their early stuff was OK, but everything else is the musical equivalent of eating paper. Recycled paper at that. U2 is a company that makes product, not a band that makes music.

If anything, U2 dryhumping RIM (there's an awesome double entendre in there, I'm sure of it) means the iPhone just got even cooler. I know it was a relief when he switched from black to those ridiculous red shades, and I could start wearing my sunglasses again without looking like a complete berk.
  • Reply 59 of 110
    Maybe Microsoft will offer Bono $1500 for a laptop now too...

U2's last relevant album was Achtung Baby, after that it was all down hill...
  • Reply 60 of 110
    elixirelixir Posts: 782member
    not to sound too much like an apple fanboy but i was pretty much sick and tired of bono for a while there. i'm happy to see them part ways.