Jobs active at Apple, still working on tablet-sized device

Comments

• Reply 81 of 174
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

"6x9" is the exact size of the standard non-fiction trade paperback (in most of the world) for the last fifty years or so, and thus the perfect size for an electronic book.

Non-fiction trade paperback doesn't require an on-screen software keyboard, doesn't have a menubar, and doesn't have a dock. Bad analogy when you analyze it.
  • Reply 82 of 174
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Non-fiction trade paperback doesn't require an on-screen software keyboard, doesn't have a menubar, and doesn't have a dock. Bad analogy when you analyze it.

Well you missed my analogy completely and you also didn't notice that I was actually supporting your argument. I've had enough experience arguing with your whack-jobby-ness that I won't press it further though.

Remember to take your pills.
  • Reply 83 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Well you missed my analogy completely and you also didn't notice that I was actually supporting your argument. I've had enough experience arguing with your whack-jobby-ness that I won't press it further though.

Remember to take your pills.

I read your comment, I thought you meant 6 x 9 was your size dimension limit (and thus the "perfect" size). I said 9.25" x 6.75". 6.75" is almost 1" bigger for example. My apologies for misinterpreting you. I am actually taking pills btw, my signature gives that away.
  • Reply 84 of 174
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, a bigger version of this keeps popping into my head for some reason:

Yes that would be a step in the right direction. A small device that can roll up the flexible display but also have a mechanism to unfold the screen and keep it rigid to work with.

I remember that show too. It had a great cast, production team and everything. But I still ended up not liking the show. I loved the tech on the show though. Earth: final conflict

Anyways, I think that prototype is a good place to start but I believe the design can be refined even FURTHER than that. I hope Jon Ive is as good as he thinks he is.
  • Reply 85 of 174
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    I would love to see an iPhone/iTouch that opens like a clam shell making it almost square when opened. There would be no border between the upper and lower sections but would appear to be one screen and react that way. I think Apple is the only company that cares enough to maybe even make it hard to tell that it is two screens. Meaning the seam would be hard to see.

But then I wish they would do the same with the iMac making it easier for those of us who can't afford two iMacs to be able to fold it in half and put it in a carry bag and take it back and forth to work.

Why not just get a Mac laptop? Well, they only have a 17" screen and cost a lot more and I don't need to run it off a battery.

Why not the Mac mini? Did I miss something or the 24" iMac had a lot bigger hard drive, faster CPUs, and I wouldn't have to mess with separate monitor from the computer.
  • Reply 86 of 174
    olternautolternaut Posts: 1,376member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hobBIT View Post

I'm sure you've seen the Samsung OLED demo of a foldable device:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KhBDBSWfb5s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtN_TkZUOt4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT9V0IUujFg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2SCZvU8sGU

But this is not a flexible display!

Instead it is two completely rigid displays - just with a very thin seam.

Personally I would prefer this solution for two reasons:

- Wear and tear

Opening/closing a flexible, bendable display might only work a few hundred or a few thousand times before hair cracks show up killing some pixels.

- Rigid Surface

For multitouch to work well you'd want a rigid surface - even when holding the device with one hand while standing in a commuter train. A flexible display might not have a strong enough foundation to work well here. Two rigid, but seamless 'foldable' displays certainly don't have that problem.

Your making a lot of assumptions on tech your not an expert on......not that I'm saying I'm an expert either. Also, that strong foundation your talking about is just a variable on design which can be solved in a multitude of ways with the right ideas and materials.

We are talking about an advanced idea here. All the negativity reminds me so much of the Apple's competition before 2007. Then came the iPhone. We know it is possible so lets just get cracking on the product....now!

I can just imagine Steve Jobs saying something similar to that last sentence to his team sometime before 2007.
  • Reply 87 of 174
    Guys, what's with all the wacky ideas? Just keep it simple. Make a M-T tablet with a 10.1" screen, give it a Cocoa-touch UI, software keyboard and some type of clever stand on the back that can pop in and pop out.

K.I.S.S.
  • Reply 88 of 174
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Guys, what's with all the wacky ideas? Just keep it simple. Make a M-T tablet with a 10.1" screen, give it a Cocoa-touch UI, software keyboard and some type of clever stand on the back that can pop in and pop out.

K.I.S.S.

Ireland, are you suggesting this thing would be based on iPhone OS, or just a similar interface?

I'm an iPhone developer, and it just seems sort of... Whacky to expect such a device to run the actual iPhone OS... And expect iPhone apps to run on it anyway.

A UI similar to iPhone wouldn't be bad but... It needs a document architecture which iPhone OS doesn't have.
  • Reply 89 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by John French View Post

You know, a bigger version of this keeps popping into my head for some reason:

I loved that show, and I believe we'll see such a device on the market within 2-3 years.
  • Reply 90 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Ireland, are you suggesting this thing would be based on iPhone OS, or just a similar interface?

Could you clarify "or just a similar interface"? If it means what I think it might, then no, I am absolutely not suggesting that. I am suggesting the full verion, or very close to the full version of OS X, with all the trimmings, only touch based. This would require "years" or work, and years it has taken. Perhaps 7 years from when all this tablet work began at Apple.
  • Reply 91 of 174
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Quote:

Could you clarify "or just a similar interface"? If it means what I think it might, then no, I am absolutely not suggesting that. I am suggesting the full verion, or very close to the full version of OS X, with all the trimmings, only touch based. This would require "years" or work, and years it has taken. Perhaps 7 years from when all this tablet work began at Apple.

I was refering to iPhone OS, not the Mac. Everything I wrote was in regards to the iPhone.

Personally I see your idea of a full integration between Touch and a Document based computer as fundamentally opposed to the concept Apple is pursuing, and against everything that Apple is doing with the Touch and desktop platforms.

Apple specifically made iPhone OS without a document architecture. The concept was that you don't want to do document editing on a touch device, you want a desktop or notebook with a keyboard.

It just seems that the direction Apple are heading in is to split the platforms as far apart as they can. Apple's technologies evangelists will say that very thing.

I guess my point is... If this is the way Apple wants to go, integrating the Touch and Mac lines somehow wouldn't they have made iPhone more like Windows Mobile, with its document based architecture, if they planned to integrate the two lines somehow?

It just doesn't seem to fit in with the Apple line and direction at all.
  • Reply 92 of 174
    noirdesirnoirdesir Posts: 1,027member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

There are some things that are synced, like notes and email so that you don't have to stop working when you move from one device to the other. Surely it can be more fluid, robust and versatile, I know that it will, but what exactly are you looking for?

I think iWork.com will be the first major push from Apple with that capability with cloud computing the easiest way to implement that. I have been enjoying for nearly a year now how all my vital stuff is auto-synced from iPhone to Mac via MobileMe.

I know we are moving in the right direction. A lot of things already work:

- e-mail, thanks to IMAP

- bookmarks thanks to del.ico.us

- for certain things version control (eg, subversion even though it is way to cumbersome except for certain types of files and projects)

- address book/calenders thanks to MobileMe

- iWork.com and Google Docs

Essentially I would like the level of consistency that the Migration Assistant generates. I know that won't happen any time soon but everything that brings me closer is welcome. How hard would it be for Apple to include more application syncing via MobileMe? I for once would like to sync my dashboard stickie notes.

But apart from the syncing of data, keeping two computers up to date takes some time (even with apps like AppFresh and Application Update.
  • Reply 93 of 174
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by noirdesir View Post

I know we are moving in the right direction. A lot of things already work:

- e-mail, thanks to IMAP

- bookmarks thanks to del.ico.us

- for certain things version control (eg, subversion even though it is way to cumbersome except for certain types of files and projects)

- address book/calenders thanks to MobileMe

- iWork.com and Google Docs

Essentially I would like the level of consistency that the Migration Assistant generates. I know that won't happen any time soon but everything that brings me closer is welcome. How hard would it be for Apple to include more application syncing via MobileMe? I for once would like to sync my dashboard stickie notes.

But apart from the syncing of data, keeping two computers up to date takes some time (even with apps like AppFresh and Application Update.

Git, Bazaar and Subversion.

del.ico.us is a social bookmark service. That's it.

Quote:

Delicious is a social bookmarking service that allows users to tag, save, manage and share web pages from a centralized source. With emphasis on the power of the community, Delicious greatly improves how people discover, remember and share on the Internet.

Big deal.

Address book/calendars aren't thanks to MobileMe. Those are services MobileMe is thankful to use.
  • Reply 94 of 174
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

I guess my point is... If this is the way Apple wants to go, integrating the Touch and Mac lines somehow wouldn't they have made iPhone more like Windows Mobile, with its document based architecture, if they planned to integrate the two lines somehow?

Apple understand the basics, very clearly. It's a phone, not a computer. When people see the iPhone they see "phone", they don't see "computer", besides the screen is too small to really do any "work" on it. I guess in my head I see this newer tablet as a "computer". While the iPhone will continue to remain a phone.
  • Reply 95 of 174
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mi_sat View Post

Wrong, asstard. I sent them the link to the wsj artlcle along with the article itself. I could give two shits about credit. What i do care about is that the author re-wrote the wsj article almost to imply that the blogger was researching the subject -- to which i call bullshit.

Only a flaming liberal reads NYT. Suggest you pull your head out of your liberal ass before claiming to know what you're talking about when it comes to sources.

You sound like quite a piece of work. You needed to get that 'flaming liberal' in there eh?

I know it sucks to be a republican these days (now that you've become pretty much a joke party thats become more and more hysterical as each day passes) but try to retain some dignity.
  • Reply 96 of 174
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:

ʎsɐǝ

˙ǝpnp 'sǝǝuʞ sǝǝq ǝɥʇ ǝɹɐ noʎ
  • Reply 97 of 174
    mj webmj web Posts: 918member
    Steve's eves weaves peeves please.

Leave the poor bastard alone!
  • Reply 98 of 174
    jragostajragosta Posts: 10,473member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The tablet is a solution looking for a problem... simply playing media is not compelling enough on it's own.

I think University might be the place for it. At home and work you have a desk available, so you can have a luxurious fixed device. On the streets you need something very portable, like phone-sized.

I know one place I'd use it - making presentations for customers, particularly at trade shows. A laptop is cumbersome to hold in your hands while showing a presentation; a tablet would be ideal.

Trade show presentations by itself isn't a huge market, but if it caught on with sales people who do presentations, it could be huge.
  • Reply 99 of 174
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rain View Post

Newton II

Not sure what the official name will be, but this tablet is going to be sweet. Start saving your money.

Anything but iTablet or iWhatever.
  • Reply 100 of 174
    magic_almagic_al Posts: 325member
    Directors talking directly to the doctors? That part of the report seems questionable. They'd need Jobs' permission and it seems more likely he'd share a general prognosis with the board himself.

It would actually be better for the long-term stability of the stock if Apple were seen to be doing just fine with minimal input from Jobs. I would question whether the source of this leak has an interest in keeping the stock volatile and tied to health rumors.