Apple shares inches higher as pair of analysts up price targets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by e1618978 View Post

...... why the chip on your shoulder?

I agree.... that sounded a little 'chipp-y' upon re-reading. I was trying to make a larger point that these terms are often thrown around and mean different things to different people.

The second point was... well, just being snarky. There was probably no need for that.
  • Reply 22 of 41
    boogabooga Posts: 1,082member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by KenC View Post

The larger this device gets, the more expensive it gets.

The larger this device gets, the harder it will be to take with you.

The larger this device gets, the more likely developers will have to modify their apps.

While I have never argued for a 7" screen, I have pointed out that I believe a 5" screen may be coming. Why? A 5" screen is just two 3.5" screens. Apple already orders tons of these 3.5" screens. The cost of two in a device is manageable and still can be priced appropriately, at a premium to the iPod touch, and still in the premium range of netbooks.

A 5" screen made out of two 3.5" screens could be in a folding formfactor. That way, it would be the same size as a current iPhone when folded, perhaps slightly thicker for a larger battery to power the two screens. Obviously, when unfolded, it would appear as a single screen.

Two 3.5" screens, would have a common VGA proportions, one that iTunes movies would fit without reformatting. The screens would allow easy scalability for existing apps, so that developers would not need to modify, but could if they wished. Two screens could be used DS style, or could be used as one screen.

I think a 10" device would be too expensive, and too small a niche, even for Apple to want to play in. The key is to scale up what is existing. Scaling up is incremental and iterative. A folding device with two of the existing 3.5" screens to make a 5" one, is still pocketable. The costs and pricing of such a device fits Apple's current line, and would still be price competitive with existing netbooks. The need for modifying current apps and movies and such would be minimal.

Apple wants to extend its lead. Throwing out its huge lead in apps, is crazy. Any solution has to allow easy use of existing apps and media, and not require wholesale reformatting for a new screensize.

Wouldn't an 8.5x11" device (or maybe A4 sized for international markets) make the most sense, then? It could replace all paper notebooks. Considering how close to the edge of a device the screen can get these days that would probably be a roughly 8x10" screen, or between 12 and 13" diagonally.
  • Reply 23 of 41
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

The MBAir will most surely go "bye- bye".

I don't see why, at least not based on the release of a tablet, they are totally different products for totally different markets.
  • Reply 24 of 41
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Booga View Post

Wouldn't an 8.5x11" device (or maybe A4 sized for international markets) make the most sense, then? It could replace all paper notebooks. Considering how close to the edge of a device the screen can get these days that would probably be a roughly 8x10" screen, or between 12 and 13" diagonally.

That would be amazing provided it's has the thickness of an iPod Touch. That would probably seal the fate of the MB Air.

It would definitely deflate the Air's sales.
  • Reply 25 of 41
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by minderbinder View Post

I don't see why, at least not based on the release of a tablet, they are totally different products for totally different markets.

It would be lighter and do much more than an MBAir. Not only that but also much cooler than the Air. Who would want it (MBA) after seeing a supersized full OS'd lighter Touch Tablet? It would do everything an Air does as well as handle iPhone APPs but not the other way around.

But then again the Air can run Windoze.
  • Reply 26 of 41
    minderbinderminderbinder Posts: 1,703member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It would be lighter and do much more than an MBAir. Not only that but also much cooler than the Air. Who would want it (MBA) after seeing a supersized full OS'd lighter Touch Tablet? It would do everything an Air does as well as handle iPhone APPs but not the other way around.

But then again the Air can run Windoze.

While it may do iPhone apps, I don't think it's a safe assumption that it will necessarily do everything the MBA does, at least as well as it does.

The MBA has a bigger screen and a keyboard, and probably will have a faster processor, more ram, and more hard drive space. For anyone doing lots of typing, I think the MBA would still be more appealing.
  • Reply 27 of 41
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by VinitaBoy View Post

So where's that genius from RBC who still (apparently) holds his $70 price target for AAPL? Come on, Mike Abramsky, let's hear your opinion on this equity ONE MORE TIME!

NOOoooooooooooo
  • Reply 28 of 41
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Trust me, there is nothing that Shaw Wu could say that would affect the price of AAPL. Apple's stock is reacting to the general sentiment of the market... in addition, all of the recent big jumps in the stock happened last week.

I thought exactly that when I saw this post. "all of the recent big jumps in the stock happened last week"
  • Reply 29 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Perhaps he means 7" in height..... 7x5 is approx 9" diagonal?

I can be a jerk sometimes. I was drunk when I made this comment, so I changed it. First time drinking in a while, am calm now.
  • Reply 30 of 41
    am calm now
  • Reply 31 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

Yeah, like his imaginary 7" sex organ.

Having a bad day, huh? Happens to all of us sometimes...... (although not in pub[l]ic).
  • Reply 32 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

You got to be kidding me!!? "Modify". Try completely recode you maniac. Go back to the planet you are from and tell them you have a new invention called "the bicycle".

You said something about being not on medication yesterday..... I humbly suggest getting back on.

You're a pretty smart guy. And impressive too, occasionally.

Don't make a public ass (Br. usage of the term) of yourself.
  • Reply 33 of 41
    aplnubaplnub Posts: 2,605member
    Ireland man, take your med's. Seriously. Take them.
  • Reply 34 of 41
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Shares of Apple continue to make forward progress this week with as a pair of Wall Street analysts issuing new research reports that raise their price target on the stock in light of upcoming product catalyst.

But what about the reverse progress? And what sort mishigas is " in light of upcoming product catalyst"? Me thinks Kasper needs a better ghost writer.
  • Reply 35 of 41
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by enzos View Post

But what about the reverse progress? And what sort mishigas is " in light of upcoming product catalyst"? Me thinks Kasper needs a better ghost writer.

I think it's clear: Apple will shortly release a product that, when brought into contact with the new Shuffle, will burst into flame.

Then we dance by the flickering fire.
  • Reply 36 of 41
    At this rate it shouldn't take long to make up the Apple Tax.
  • Reply 37 of 41
    My Prediction is that Apple's stock will see 150 by the end of this qtr.
  • Reply 38 of 41
    e1618978e1618978 Posts: 6,075member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rockon52 View Post

My Prediction is that Apple's stock will see 150 by the end of this qtr.

What is that prediction based on?
  • Reply 39 of 41
    cdyatescdyates Posts: 202member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Trust me, there is nothing that Shaw Wu could say that would affect the price of AAPL. Apple's stock is reacting to the general sentiment of the market... in addition, all of the recent big jumps in the stock happened last week.

Does anyone take these clowns seriously anymore? It's hard not to giggle when I read this stuff.
  • Reply 40 of 41
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Having a bad day, huh? Happens to all of us sometimes...... (although not in pub[l]ic).

It was just a joke, admittedly it slammed.