Apple to sell $899 20-inch aluminum iMac to schools

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 64
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Right, but in context we were talking about the iMac being deployed in schools, where the BTO option isn't an issue.

Exactly! Schools will order the computers how they like anyways so I don't see this as a big issue. For regular customers, this may be an issue, but who knows!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Flounder View Post

I realize that, and that's exactly the point I was making; this is why I think the numeric pad-less version as the standard is misguided. I mean, imagine someone ordering from Amazon and assuming a freaking desktop computer will come with a full keyboard with numeric keypad and then it doesn't.

I don't know what percentage of people would prefer a desktop keyboard sans number-pad, but it's gotta be extremely low.

Nobody really knows who wants a numeric number pad and who doesn't care about it. However, I bet Apple has a pretty good idea. So saying the average has got to be low is just an assumption because you use it? I for one rarely ever use it and couldn't care less about having it. At least Apple gives you the option of having either or.
  • Reply 62 of 64
    jigsawjigsaw Posts: 3member
    Here is the 17" that I almost ordered for my classroom. The 899 option is way better for me and will probably have to get two of them.

• Reply 63 of 64
    bobertoqbobertoq Posts: 172member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mechengit View Post

Browser today like Firefox can eat up 200MB easily, especially when running several Web 2.0 apps or running the useless Flash at the same time.

That's why you don't use Firefox.
  • Reply 64 of 64
    So, compared to the $599 Mac mini (which would cost less for .edu), you're paying $300 for a 20" TN display? That's not a very good deal.