iPhone Software 3.0 beta 3 delivers gradual improvements

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by arfore View Post

Can someone else clarify as to the meaning behind the original statement?

It is for developers. It mean unlike previous versions of the 3.0 SDK, developers cannot build 2.x apps using this SDK. They can only build for iPhone 3.0 OS. I guess some developers were submitting theirs app store 2.x apps built using the 3.0 SDK.

In other words, when a developer want to build his app the only option he have is (iPhone OS 3.0 - Device or iPhone OS 3.0 - Simulator). 1.X and 2.x are no longer available.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    Every time they mention speed improvements I wonder if they mean: "Improved over the last Beta?" or "Improved over 2.2.1".

Also has anyone found anything on that "Lost iPhone Locate Me" feature?
  • Reply 23 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

Every time they mention speed improvements I wonder if they mean: "Improved over the last Beta?" or "Improved over 2.2.1".

I think they mean over the previous release, which in this case is v3.0 Beta 2.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    definitely

2.2.1 and this one seem on par...
  • Reply 25 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    All I want to know-

1.) Has the sound quality of the actual phone calls been improved- both incoming and out going?

2.) Will the actual phone call's connectivity be flawless as it should be?

It's a phone- first and foremost. If it can't deliver a marked improvement in its performance in those 2 regards over the 1st and 3G versions then it's gonna get slammed.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

It's a phone- first and foremost. If it can't deliver a marked improvement in its performance in those 2 regards over the 1st and 3G versions then it's gonna get slammed.

Eesh! Regardless of the OS version you are using, it's still "1st and 3G version" iPhones.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post

It is for developers. It mean unlike previous versions of the 3.0 SDK, developers cannot build 2.x apps using this SDK. They can only build for iPhone 3.0 OS. I guess some developers were submitting theirs app store 2.x apps built using the 3.0 SDK.

In other words, when a developer want to build his app the only option he have is (iPhone OS 3.0 - Device or iPhone OS 3.0 - Simulator). 1.X and 2.x are no longer available.

Opening old projects is fine but this is true for if you create a new project in b3, only 3.0 is available even if you try to set the Base SDK to 2.2.1. However a work around is if you open the .pbxuser file inside the .xcodeproj bundle file (right click show pacakage contents) and replace 3.0 with 2.2.1 in the activeSDKPreference setting you can get it to work and the old simulator is still there.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    nasseraenasserae Posts: 3,167member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by indiekiduk View Post

Opening old projects is fine but this is true for if you create a new project in b3, only 3.0 is available even if you try to set the Base SDK to 2.2.1. However a work around is if you open the .pbxuser file inside the .xcodeproj bundle file (right click show pacakage contents) and replace 3.0 with 2.2.1 in the activeSDKPreference setting you can get it to work and the old simulator is still there.

All my projects were created in 2.x SDK. Opening projects is fine. However, they all only show 3.0 in the build option in the new beta SDK.
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:

All my projects were created in 2.x SDK. Opening projects is fine. However, they all only show 3.0 in the build option in the new beta SDK.

That's probably a good thing. It's not such a good idea to use a beta toolchain (i.e. compiler) for production releases. It can lead to a variety of mistakes down the road.
  • Reply 30 of 43
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

Yeah, thought I'd answer the question for everyone here

I've seen it asked multiple times and its really a rather stupid question lol

It has taken me awhile to accept this but there are very few questions that are truly stupid.

Quote:

Apple built the iPhone OS picking and choosing from the features they had developed over the past decade into Mac OS X. Some elements were completely redone for iPhone, some were tweaked, very few ported intact.

That is almost stating the obvious. It would be more interesting to know the decision making processes involved in getting what we got.

Quote:

The iPhone OS has been described as leopard based. This is incorrect. It doesn't include the full feature-set of Leopard, including Garbage Collection. It's OS X based, not any particular OS.

To me this is confused and dwelling on the fine points of where specific parts I'd ideas come from. From the standpoint of a developer it is obvious somethings are new and somethings adapted for iPhone.

Quote:

With Mac OS X Snow Leopard, however, if you examine its improvements, they are in the area of multithreading and mutlicores as well as OpenCL for GPU use as a CPU. How do these features apply to iPhone?

For many of us it isn't what can be done on iPhone today but where Apple can or will go in the future especially with tablets. Even then better multithreading/multitasking us a huge win for current hardware owners. Especially when an E-Mail comes in when doing other things.

But looking at future devices one would expect faster processors and GPUs on future devices. We are talking very near future here too. It would be nice if the facility was inplace to leverage the new hardware. Apple could easily end up with surplus GPU threads on future devices. Even if we are talking about only one execution unit more it could justify OpenCL. More importantly this OS is not exclusive to iPhone and would benefit other devices even more.

Quote:

iPhone OS doesn't run on multicores at the current stage, and multithreading is currently handled quite nicely with NSOperation. Nothing too complex should need to tax the CPU.

The CPU core on iPhone is already taxed this the interest in OS improvements. We want features from Snow Leopard to enhance the device not slow it down.

Quote:

OpenCL? iPhone's graphics core powers every bit of the iPhone's Core Animation, which at the current time is a larger percentage of the overall system than it is on the Mac. Every view is Core Animation-based. That means the graphics need to stay graphics for the current stage.

That is fine for graphics at the current stage as the GPU doesn't support OpenCL anyways. What we are looking for is a commitment from Apple to embrace the tech on future devices.

Quote:

They evidently didn't see the need to port anything major across from Snow Leopard as it's changes are mostly high-performance based improvements.

Possibly but I'd suggest that Apple needs to do whatever it can to enhance iPhone performance. Interestingly I've heard but can't verify that Snow Leopard will use some lessons learned from work done on iPhone. Cross pollination if you will.

Quote:

Does this make sense?

Nope.

Look at it this way, every day iPhone impresses me. But; everyday it suffers from performance problems at one point or another. Enhancing the platforms performance only makes it more desirable. It does take much either, a guy at work brought in his new Touch and that little extra inprocessor speed makes a big difference. I'm not asking for much just elimination of the lags one sees with standard Apple apps.

Dave
  • Reply 31 of 43
    pg4gpg4g Posts: 383member
    Wizard, evidently you are wrong. The fact that Apple hasn't done these things shows it.

Now for my part. Will these increases help your phone with nex hardware? Yes, they will, but you somehow expect apple to compensate for new hardware now instead of getting the current cocoa touch new stuff fixed up - which they are doing. Um ... How the hell do you know what apples plans are for new tech? You are betting on it and then suggesting Apple follow your advice? They're the ones making the device mate.

The iPod touch 1g is also significantly faster than the iPhones, with the same CPU. I know becuase I run all my apps on each device to compare for responsiveness. Apple provides developers Shark , to see what is actually going on in each device. iPod Touch has significantly less background activity compared to the phone. That's why it's more responsive, and more stable.

Apple will introduce the features in the future, but right now their overhead would be great and get no improvement.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I didn't know that you could use iTunes to install the IPSW. I used SDK v3.0 Beta 2, it worked fine.

To use iTunes to install an .ipsw file, [Option]+Click on the the Restore button in the Summary tab of your iPhone's Device entry. A file picker box will then pop up. Select your .ipsw file and then click OK.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Works just fine as it is. No idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PG4G View Post

iPod Touch has significantly less background activity compared to the phone. That's why it's more responsive, and more stable.

It also has a higher-clocked CPU than the iPhone. This is presumably to preserve battery for the iPhone. Yes, they both have the same CPU, but they are both under-clocked, with the iPod Touch being a little faster. Apple has up ticked the CPU speeds of both devices since the v1.x firmware updates. I assume this was after making some strides in power efficiency that a faster clock was warranted.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hamhocks View Post

To use iTunes to install an .ipsw file, [Option]+Click on the the Restore button in the Summary tab of your iPhone's Device entry. A file picker box will then pop up. Select your .ipsw file and then click OK.

Thank you, though I am aware of that. I had tried with the first v3.0 Beta and it wouldn't load, I then read that i had to install XCode to install it, that worked. As previously stated, I'll try the upload via iTunes with the 4th Beta.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Works just fine as it is. No idea what you're talking about.

Who are you replying to? In other words, we have no idea what you're talking about.
  • Reply 35 of 43
    How come everyone says to use "Restore" can I use "Update"? Also if I install Beta 3 is there any risk of not being able to downgrade or upgrade to the OS 3 Final?
  • Reply 36 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:

Eesh! Regardless of the OS version you are using, it's still "1st and 3G version" iPhones.

Eeesh?- Eat something bad?

I meant either the new OS improves what upon I mentioned or the new iPhone improves upon what I mentioned over that 1st and 3G prior models.

Why must everyone spoon feed you?
  • Reply 37 of 43
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ipodrulz View Post

How come everyone says to use "Restore" can I use "Update"? Also if I install Beta 3 is there any risk of not being able to downgrade or upgrade to the OS 3 Final?

You will not be able to downgrade; that is a deffinite, not a maybe.

You should be able to upgrade to final when it comes out.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

I think they mean over the previous release, which in this case is v3.0 Beta 2.

Having gone from 2.2.1 to 3.0b3, my experience is that the device does actually feel snappier than before.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    Quote:

There is no reason not to install both the 3.0 and 2.2.1 SDK. Just put them in different locations.
  • Reply 40 of 43
    Am I the only one who doesn't seem to see the reported "selective search" option in spotlight that is new in beta 3? maybe it's b/c I don't have that many apps loaded....