AT&T pushing to keep iPhone exclusive through 2011

135678

Comments

  • Reply 41 of 147
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,946member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post


    No matter what happens, both Apple and ATT have said they will start offering unlocked (unsubsidized) phones soon (if not already).



    So whether ATT and Apple "extend" their exclusivity, or not, whoever buys an unlocked phone will be able to pick their carrier of choice...



    Most likely ATT is seeking some kind of deal that gives them exclusivity on subsidy rights possibly even on another (?) Apple wireless product...



    I recall that they were going to offer no contract phones, but I don't remember any mention of carrier unlocked phones.
  • Reply 42 of 147
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I recall that they were going to offer no contract phones, but I don't remember any mention of carrier unlocked phones.



    Rumored to have started on 03.26.
  • Reply 43 of 147
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    I recall that they were going to offer no contract phones, but I don't remember any mention of carrier unlocked phones.



    That's right- No contract phones means - pick your carrier and insert whichever SIMM you please...Of course, if you choose that route, there is no subsidy and you pay the full (unsubsidized) price...



    Also,



    By law (contract) when original 2 year contract expires, ATT is obligated to supply customers with unlock code for all 1st gen iPhones...
  • Reply 44 of 147
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post


    They shouldn't make a device for just one provider. I would really like to see a CDMA device. GSM is really throwing me off. A GSM phone will induce noise into my land line telephone, sound system, clock radio, headphones and hearing aids. It even induces noise into disconnected headphones. I get that GSM is the worldwide standard, but damn, it's irritating. I never had those issues with CDMA using the same towers.



    Yeah, GSM is a "TDMA" technology, so you get that stutter noise when it's changing cells, or transmitting for any reason.



    It's a pity we can't lock the iPhone into 3G mode though - since that uses WCDMA and removes that stutter effect entirely. It's only when it falls back to 2G (GSM) that it happens.
  • Reply 45 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post


    That's right- No contract phones means - pick your carrier and insert whichever SIMM you please...Of course, if you choose that route, there is no subsidy and you pay the full (unsubsidized) price...



    "No contract" means exactly what it says and nothing more. If you don't get a contract you obviously pay the unsubsidized price for the handset and are allowed to stop your service at any time without penalty, or not get cellular service at all. Unlocked means that it will work on other carriers. While unsubsidized phones are usually unlocked, especially when buying outside of the carrier, they are not interchangeable terms and have distant definitions.
  • Reply 46 of 147
    lilgto64lilgto64 Posts: 1,147member
    While it might be nice to see the iPhone on all carriers - with the differences in the frequencies used and such it would mean Apple would have to build different devices or add components for both into every phone. It seems to me that waiting until there is a single standard for all carriers before building a device that is open to all carriers. Also - it makes perfect sense for Apple to partner with one carrier for the first few years as they build and improve their device - basically leveraging the single carrier to help get their new product off the ground much more quickly to begin - this also means they can ramp up production over time and take less risk. Imagine if Apple has built a $900 device that worked on all carriers right from the beginning - and then had supply or quality control issues and a year or two of back orders. Makes much more sense the way they did it - phase 1 is a single carrier in the US - get the device out there and production going - phase 2 update the device and roll it out to more countries - then when you are able to build 2 million units a quarter open it up further - or in this case use the proceeds from the 2G and 3G and 3G+ models to set the stage for a 4G roll out that is available in 60 countries on any carrier since by that time - if all goes well - the demand will be there to support a million sales a month
  • Reply 47 of 147
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    "No contract" means exactly what it says and nothing more. If you don't get a contract you obviously pay the unsubsidized price for the handset and are allowed to stop your service at any time without penalty, or not get cellular service at all. Unlocked means that it will work on other carriers. While unsubsidized phones are usually unlocked, especially when buying outside of the carrier, they are not interchangeable terms and have distant definitions.



    and ATT is obligated to unlock ALL 1st gen iPhones upon expiration of 2 year contract, that means there will be a flood of legally unlocked phones on the market for other carriers to pick up if owners so choose...(to supplement the no contract (unlocked phones) . The whole point of selling "No Contract phones" is that anyone can take these phones to any place in the world and pick their carrier. There's no way that these phones that sell at full price($699+) will be locked to ATT.
  • Reply 48 of 147
    saman7saman7 Posts: 1member
    the only thing keeping me from getting an iphone is at&t. i had at&t several years ago and that experience would *NEVER* allow me from getting at&t again.



    i've had macs sine 1989 but i will not compromise on this.
  • Reply 49 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post


    and ATT is obligated to unlock ALL 1st gen iPhones upon expiration of 2 year contract, that means there will be a flood of legally unlocked phones on the market for other carriers to pick up if owners so choose...(to supplement the no contract (unlocked phones) . The whole point of selling "No Contract phones" is that anyone can take these phones to any place in the world and pick their carrier. There's no way that these phones that sell at full price($699+) will be locked to ATT.



    You are saying that you can buy an unsubsidized iPhone 3G from AT&T, then wait 2 years until April 2011, so you can get it unlocked. I think you still aren't seeing the difference between unlocked and contract free. While it makes little to no sense to buy a contract free iPhone 3G to still have it locked, they are not one and the same.



    BTW, can you post this law. The only law I am aware of does not force the carrier to unlock any phone at any time. The law makes it legal for anyone who owns a cellphone to unlock it or have it unlocked.



    PS: I think you'll find that most people that wanted to unlock their iPhones have already done so. They either the simple, free software themselves or know someone who can do it for them. The only flood of original iPhones I expect to see are those who have waited until their 2 year AT&T contract is up before getting the latest iPhone come this summer.
  • Reply 50 of 147
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You are saying that you can buy an unsubsidized iPhone 3G from AT&T, then wait 2 years until April 2011, so you can get it unlocked. I think you still aren't seeing the difference between unlocked and contract free. While it makes little to no sense to buy a contract free iPhone 3G to still have it locked, they are not one and the same.



    PS: I think you'll find that most people that wanted to unlock their iPhones have already done so. They either the simple, free software themselves or know someone who can do it for them. The only flood of original iPhones I expect to see are those who have waited until their 2 year AT&T contract is up before getting the latest iPhone come this summer.



    You are wrong.



    There are millions of 1st gen iPhone users who have not jailbroken (illegally) unlocked their iPhones because they want full functionality and data protection. That's Millions. Other Carriers are waiting in the wings to court them.



    There are many iPhones purchased as gifts for people all over the world ( check your stats). Thats many more Millions. The unsubsidized phones will allow these owners the possibility of picking their carriers. If you want a subsidized iPhone ( $199+) you have to go with ATT.

    If not , you can pay full pop and pick who you want. That way ATT gets a lock only for subsidizing and is the only carrier that has that option from Apple...



    No one would pay full pop and be forced to be locked to ATT - Even by your own misinterpretation, why would someone want a contract that they can opt out of any time, if there is not an alternative carrier they can go to ???
  • Reply 51 of 147
    It wouldn't be that hard to add AWS (T-Mobile USA 3G) to the iPhone... You know there was once only single band phones then they became dual, then tri, then finally quadband GSM. No reason why we can't move from triband to quadband UMTS.



    While T-Mobile USA is the only one using this band currently, in the future you may see other carriers use that band across North & South America.



    I'm sorry, but i'm sticking to T-Mobile. Their customer service has always been great, and I'm grandfathered in at some great prices.
  • Reply 52 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by breeze View Post


    You are wrong.



    There are millions of 1st gen iPhone users who have not jailbroken (illegally) unlocked their iPhones because they want full functionality and data protection. That's Millions. Other Carriers are waiting in the wings to court them.



    There are many iPhones purchased as gifts for people all over the world ( check your stats). Thats many more Millions. The unsubsidized phones will allow these owners the possibility of picking their carriers. If you want a subsidized iPhone ( $199+) you have to go with ATT.

    If not , you can pay full pop and pick who you want. That way ATT gets a lock only for subsidizing and is the only carrier that has that option from Apple...



    No one would pay full pop and be locked to ATT - even by your own misinterpretation, why would someone want a contract that they can opt out of any time, if there is not alternative carrier they can go to ???



    You seem to be getting stressed as this last post is either contradictory or just unfocused. I'll just ask you to post these links from AT&T that they are offering contract free iPhones that are also unlocked.



    PS: With iPhones costing so much in other countries or simply not available in some GSM-based countries there are many foreign travelers that would gladly pay that contract free price so they can unlock it via the free software unlocks to use on their home network.
  • Reply 53 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post


    I'd love an iPhone not on AT&T. Their network sucks. Go to other carriers and I'll buy one.



    Same here. AT&'s service for the iPhone is pretty underwhelming here in NYC. Everytime I talk to anyone with an iPhone here either the quality sucks, there is static, or the connection is lost. In a way it serves Apple right for making such "grab me by the balls" contracts with anyone.

    What other cell phone or smart phone is only on one carrier? It's ridiculous.
  • Reply 54 of 147
    No no no no no! Bad!

    (Taps ATT and Apple with newspaper on the nose)



    Keeping the iPhone (or ANY phone for that matter) tied to ATT (or other service) only reeks of greed by cell phone companies. They all do it. Things like this keep competition at bay in terms of service, where people go where the hardware is, not nessisarily the service, thus promoting a lack of push when it comes to service quality. As long as ATT and iPhone are locked in bed together, no sale from me.



    As if the iPhone wasn't locked down enough as it is... I guess somethings don't change when they make money. Think Different.... Please Apple, think different.
  • Reply 55 of 147
    breezebreeze Posts: 96member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You seem to be getting stressed as this last post is either contradictory or just unfocused. I'll just ask you to post these links from AT&T that they are offering contract free iPhones that are also unlocked.



    PS: With iPhones costing so much in other countries or simply not available in some GSM-based countries there are many foreign travelers that would gladly pay that contract free price so they can unlock it via the free software unlocks to use on their home network.





    So now you're a psychologist in addition to a legal expert?



    Stressed? Hardly...Do your own research, I have no time to spoon feed you information that you feel so qualified to dispute interpret or chew on. The statistics and facts have been all over the news for months and actually since iPhone day 1.



    Do some real research Doc.
  • Reply 56 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    The non-stockholder part of me hopes that Apple doesn't make a CDMA phone for China Unicom. When they do these forums will be filled with all sorts of new posters whining "why isn't Apple releasing it here".



    If that's a whine then count me in. Once again what you post is both pompous and preposterous. Who with a Verizon contract here then would not want the same phone released in the US? You would be a fool and an idiot to not want a Verizon CDMA version if one is released in another country.
  • Reply 57 of 147
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post


    What other cell phone or smart phone is only on one carrier?



    Don't troll! You 've been on this site long enough to know perfectly well that vendor/carrier exclusivity is commonplace in the US.



    Only a few of the examples of handsets that had, have exclusivity with carriers, for those that actually might not know...
    • Moto Razr

    • HTC Android

    • Samsung Instinct

    • Blackberry Storm

    • Palm Pre

  • Reply 58 of 147
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    PS: With iPhones costing so much in other countries or simply not available in some GSM-based countries there are many foreign travelers that would gladly pay that contract free price so they can unlock it via the free software unlocks to use on their home network.



    You think, ATT is welcoming jailbreakers I don't believe that.



    There's still an advantage to take no-commitment iPhone and choose ATT plan you like. Say, I'd like to take only data plan and some humble per-call voice plan. Because my 120+120 voice minutes are far too long for me, I just don't speak that much, however, I surf a lot and always get the warning "your speed may be decreased".



    Though, it is almost the same in France... We unlock phones legally - though, with all possible obstacles from carriers - after 6 months.
  • Reply 59 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    You don't have to like it, but it normal business to have exclusive deals and it's completely legal. What is unusual is that handset is so successful that the carrier wants to extend the deal even longer despite the cost it incurs for maintaining this partnership. Though as the article stated, since there is no other viable non-MVNO carrier in the US that can handle Apple's GSM/UMTS-phone that is pretty universal in most major cell countries.



    1.) Ok- what other cell or smart is only available on one carrier? Link please.

    2.) If the iPhone can only be "handled" by AT&T it most surely could be modified- again like every other phone out there. I then have to assume that you're stating that iPhone is not able to be modified to other networks. Link please.
  • Reply 60 of 147
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post


    Don't troll! You 've been on this site long enough to know perfectly well that vendor/carrier exclusivity is commonplace in the US.



    Only a few of the examples of handsets that had, have exclusivity with carriers, for those that actually might not know...
    • Moto Razr

    • HTC Android

    • Samsung Instinct

    • Blackberry Storm

    • Palm Pre




    Trolling? Who- you? Don't flatter yourself!

    Stop posting misinformation!!

    Wrong again. Where's the carrier? Pre will be at Verizon this fall. Razr is all over the place.

    You obviously don't know what you're talking about.
Sign In or Register to comment.