Apple selling 22 iPhones, 28 Macs per store each day

Comments

• Reply 21 of 55
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Am I alone in thinking "only 28 Macs a day" is pretty low given a store's running costs? I guess the 50 iPods (is that all?) help.

Have you ever been in an Apple store?

They sell a lot of things. Every time I go to one, there are long lines at the counters. If the average computer costs, say, $1,800, and they're selling 28, that's over $54,000 a day, on average. 22 iPhones would be an average of $5,500. 50 iPods could average another $7,500 at about $150 apiece. Add in thousands more for software, printers, iPod and iPhone accessories, some of which cost in the hundreds, plus cables, harddrives, networking products, etc, and that average could approach $75,000 a day, or more. Figure that for 6 days a week, and that's $450,000 a week, times 300, say, for days off and holidays, and you get about $22,500,000 average per store.

How do you figure that to be low?
  • Reply 22 of 55
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

They sell a lot of things. Every time I go to one, there are long lines at the counters. If the average computer costs, say, $1,800, and they're selling 28, that's over $54,000 a day, on average. 22 iPhones would be an average of $5,500. 50 iPods could average another $7,500 at about $150 apiece. Add in thousands more for software, printers, iPod and iPhone accessories, some of which cost in the hundreds, plus cables, harddrives, networking products, etc, and that average could approach $75,000 a day, or more. Figure that for 6 days a week, and that's $450,000 a week, times 300, say, for days off and holidays, and you get about $22,500,000 average per store.

My understanding is that the Apple Store has the best revenue per square foot in retail.
  • Reply 23 of 55
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:

Figure that for 6 days a week, and that's $450,000 a week, times 300, say, for days off and holidays, and you get about $22,500,000 average per store.

Just to clarify - your numbers worked out correctly, but you said you were multiplying the weekly gross by 300. In fact you multiplied the daily gross by 300, which was correct, and the number you got ($22M per year) is correct.
  • Reply 24 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

My understanding is that the Apple Store has the best revenue per square foot in retail.

It does, something over $4,000 per square foot.
  • Reply 25 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Just to clarify - your numbers worked out correctly, but you said you were multiplying the weekly gross by 300. In fact you multiplied the daily gross by 300, which was correct, and the number you got ($22M per year) is correct.

Yeah, it looked like that. but, of course, I meant the daily gross times 300. I should have rewritten it, but when I noticed that error, it was posted for too long for no one to not to have already read it. I figured people would know what I meant.
  • Reply 26 of 55
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cameronj View Post

Do they give you a new Mac box when you take your Mac in for repair at the genius bar?

No but some people haul their Macs into the store for repair in the box it came in. Makes it easier to carry...especially if you have something like an iMac.
  • Reply 27 of 55
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Same here. At least a cursory bit of research aids in the quarter to quarter gleaning of consumer sentiment at the Apple Store level. Online is a different matter altogether.

That's well-put. Consumer sentiment is about as much as you could hope to glean from these methods. But basing totals for the quarter on mall spying? In any way shape or form? I don't think so.

When Gene has enough of these surveys stacked up he'll be able to compare them to one another, which will mean something. I don't remember when he started doing it or if he does it every quarter.
  • Reply 28 of 55
    hattighattig Posts: 860member
    Quote:

Yeah, they're full of kids on all the computers, and at the time they had one single mac mini in the store (london regents street) and I was with a friend who wanted to look at one.

I'm not dissing the sales figures, just that when it's broken down to a Macs sold per day, per store figure, 28 just seems a small figure. Then again given that PC World survives on Tottenham Court Road nearby and is empty all the time, it seems you don't need a lot of revenue to keep a store open, even in prime areas.
  • Reply 29 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

That's well-put. Consumer sentiment is about as much as you could hope to glean from these methods. But basing totals for the quarter on mall spying? In any way shape or form? I don't think so.

When Gene has enough of these surveys stacked up he'll be able to compare them to one another, which will mean something. I don't remember when he started doing it or if he does it every quarter.

He's been doing this for a number of years.

His long term predictions for stock price and profits have been about as good as it gets, even though short term, things don't always work out as accurately.

I remember way back, when he predicted that Apple's stock would go to $50, when it was a bit over $20. Then he said $100, when it was just over $40.

He said it would split, and it did. He shortly afterwards said $200, and it hit that.

He's been aggressive, but except for general market conditions, or really unexpected situations, which is not in these guy's purview, he's been pretty good. For example, when Apple's stock hit $86, and declined to $50 over the year, that was unexpected, because no one expected Apple to not come out with new iPods for over 10 months. He also didn't predict this present economic debacle starting early last year. He's not an economist, though they didn't get it right either. If we didn't have this problem, Apple's stock COULD have been over $300, as he had said it would be before now.
  • Reply 30 of 55
    lantznlantzn Posts: 240member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Must be Mother's Day gifts.

How would you fit a Mac in an Easter basket?

I was thinking tax refunds.
  • Reply 31 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Hattig View Post

Yeah, they're full of kids on all the computers, and at the time they had one single mac mini in the store (london regents street) and I was with a friend who wanted to look at one.

I'm not dissing the sales figures, just that when it's broken down to a Macs sold per day, per store figure, 28 just seems a small figure. Then again given that PC World survives on Tottenham Court Road nearby and is empty all the time, it seems you don't need a lot of revenue to keep a store open, even in prime areas.

28 computers, average, per day, per store isn't a small number. Apple has at least 225 stores in the US, and I don't know how those numbers correlate with non US stores. But that would be 28 times 225, which is 6,300 computers per day. The total of Apple's store sales around the world is much less than half of apple's computer sales, I don't remember if the number is 15 or 20%, but we can calculate from what we know the sales to be in toto, and figure it out. If the average store is open 6 days, as they are here, or even seven in some markets, then that's 37,800 computers a week, or 1,890,000 for a 50 week year. Those would be the US only numbers.

15% would give about 12,606,300 per year total, and 20% would give 9,450,000, so those numbers seem alright. Again, that's only including the US stores. So, including the foreign ones in, 20% might come close.

I think the online store sells about 40% of the total.
  • Reply 32 of 55
    abster2coreabster2core Posts: 2,501member
    Quote:

28 computers, average, per day, per store isn't a small number. Apple has at least 225 stores in the US, and I don't know how those numbers correlate with non US stores. But that would be 28 times 225, which is 6,300 computers per day. The total of Apple's store sales around the world is much less than half of apple's computer sales, I don't remember if the number is 15 or 20%, but we can calculate from what we know the sales to be in toto, and figure it out. If the average store is open 6 days, as they are here, or even seven in some markets, then that's 37,800 computers a week, or 1,890,000 for a 50 week year. Those would be the US only numbers.

15% would give about 12,606,300 per year total, and 20% would give 9,450,000, so those numbers seem alright. Again, that's only including the US stores. So, including the foreign ones in, 20% might come close.

I think the online store sells about 40% of the total.

FYI: "?with an average of 249 stores and 201 stores open during the first quarters of 2009 and 2008, respectively, average revenue per store declined to $7.0 million for the first quarter of 2009 from $8.5 million in the first quarter of 2008. http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...10Q_Q1FY09.pdf
  • Reply 33 of 55
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lantzn View Post

I was thinking tax refunds.

Or staycation souvenirs.
  • Reply 34 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by joe in miami View Post

iPhone sales typically slow down before a new product or product update is released.

For a number of reasons.

For the 1st gen iPhone at least, there were none to sell so sales HAD to slow down.
  • Reply 35 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    They are selling all those Mac cause Microsoft are now putting Apple in their ads. They are showing those Mac notebooks briefly and people are like: "Wow, they look sexy. I must check out the Apple store."
  • Reply 36 of 55
    walshbjwalshbj Posts: 864member
    Ireland has switched the thread to ads...

I was just thinking about how good "I'm a Zune, I'm an iPod" ads could be.
  • Reply 37 of 55
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Abster2core View Post

FYI: "?with an average of 249 stores and 201 stores open during the first quarters of 2009 and 2008, respectively, average revenue per store declined to $7.0 million for the first quarter of 2009 from $8.5 million in the first quarter of 2008. http://media.corporate-ir.net/media_...10Q_Q1FY09.pdf

That number is different because it doesn't really take into account the mega stores here in NYC, which are estimated to do over $150 million.

So depending on how you weight the numbers, you will come up with different answers. But my math is correct, no matter how you look at it.
  • Reply 38 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Quote:

An Apple made ad?
  • Reply 39 of 55
    jazzgurujazzguru Posts: 6,435member
    Quote:

They could have done a hilarious one on the 30GB Zune leap year bug.
  • Reply 40 of 55
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

But there have been no reports of a Zune in the wild so, it would be an unrealistic ad.

Why waste money trying to convince no one to change from a Zune to an iPod?