Apple's share of U.S. PC market slips on sales decline

Comments

• Reply 61 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

How did Acer do it? What happened to Gateway? Oh, yea! Acer bought Gateway! I have never seen in one of these article the authors talk about acquisitions. Apple could pay cash for Dell and jump to the top of this chart.

Where is the discussion of margins?

Sales of HP and Dell total over $160B and flat. They have a combined market cap of $103B.

Sales of Apple (all products) are around $35B. They have a market cap of $104B.

Heh heh. The first post that actually advances the discussion* (for me, at least)....

So much hyperventilation, so little insight.

*I am taking your numbers at face value (but I have no reason not to).
  • Reply 62 of 168
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by UltimateKylie View Post

Actually the plastic MacBook became more affordable when it dropped to $999 while overall increase in specs (first time to have SuperDrive and later updated to 9400M Graphics).

If this is a stagnation in growth due to the recession or just further cementing the idea that Apple is purely a premium brand is yet to be known. I would however suggest to keep the plastic MacBook and consider making the entire lineup more competitive especially at the lower ends such as the Mac Mini, plastic MacBook, and the 20" iMac.

And while it did only slip 0.1% compared to last year... its still a slip when for the past few years every quarter has been growth even compared to the last (generally) and thus it shouldn't be dismisses do lightly.

You do realize we are in the worst global economy since the Great Depression? Let acer and HP have the netbooks. I think it is amazing that people are still willing to pay for a quality product. this is excellent.
  • Reply 63 of 168
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    2012 is here!!!

LOL its ok, it happened before many times. Apple is ok.
  • Reply 64 of 168
    guinnessguinness Posts: 473member
    I thought Mac market share didn't matter to Apple, just profit margins.

(and it probably doesn't, but the author of the article probably needed something to fill space).
  • Reply 65 of 168
    MacBook mini

$599
  • Reply 66 of 168
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

(and it probably doesn't, but the author of the article probably needed something to fill space).

When it comes to Macs, Apple stays out of the bulk of the market. It's deliberate. And it makes perfect sense.
  • Reply 67 of 168
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

Marketshare does matter to Apple. I see no reason why a company wouldn't care about marketshare. They have even mentioned countless times during Special Events and Keynotes how they've significantly increased marketshare when the figures were in their favour, of course. What Apple doesn't seem to care about is gaining marketshare at the expense of losing net profit.
  • Reply 68 of 168
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Who is the analyst stating sales figures? These are actual sales figures comparisons- can you actually read?

Pull out your Kool-aid drip and face the fact that it's stated in AI's thread title, not mine.

Uh, teckstud?

First paragraph, first sentence: ?market research firm Gartner said [sic] Wendesday.?

Second paragraph, first sentence: ?the firm's preliminary data shows.?

Fifth paragraph, first sentence: ?said Gartner principle analyst Mikako Kitagawa.?

These are analyst [cough] predictions [/cough] - more commonly referred to as bullshist.

There are several great recipes available on the internet for crow if you're the least bit interested.
  • Reply 69 of 168
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mister Snitch View Post

In fact, I make my living as an investor. I can do that because not only are many stockholders clueless, but they have egos to maintain that are the size of aircraft carriers. They will make the same arrogant assumptions over and over again until their money's gone... into my pocket. (Thanks!)

OMG! You're the guy in the E*TRADE ad!

You know.... the one that almost has an orgasm because he bought stocks in [gasp!] Hong Kong?
  • Reply 70 of 168
    Is there any surprise when Apple lets AT&T rape us over prices which has effected sales. No Mid-Size tower in the $800 range has had to cost them a lot of $$$. Finally, not entering the netbook market with a "Fair Priced" mini-pc has I'm sure cost them even more millions.. Any wonder they aren't getting all the market share they could.. Oh, did I forget to mention the Apple tax that's getting bigger & bigger. That alone has had to cost them a billion $$ in sales..
  • Reply 71 of 168
    kreshkresh Posts: 379member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

do you have evidence about the profit margins of netbooks, or is that your own personal strawman?

"The margin on netbooks is negligible. It is not something we will focus heavily on," says Paul Parrish, UK managing director of hardware maker Fujitsu Siemens Computers (FSC). Story Link

This is bad news for PC companies, says Barron's, as netbook sales could cannibalize the fatter profit margins attached to regular laptops. Story Link

Even the vendors to the netbook OEM face margin issues:

Low Atom margins hurt Intel again, says analyst Story Link

Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

can you explain how a netbook is not a fully functional personal computer?

The most common justification for people people buying a netbook is that they will only use them for surfing and email as a companion for their PC. I don't think you really need a feature by feature comparison to realize that a netbook is not a fully functional PC.

I mean really, the trajectory for the Space Shuttle rendezvousing with the International Space Station can be figured out by hand using a pencil and paper, does that make the pencil and paper a PC as well? Yes the netbook can do some of the things a PC can, but it is surely not a replacement for the PC, and if it can't be a replacement offering the same functionality why call it a PC?

Imagine General Motors holding a press conference. After much cheering and back patting they release a statement that they have sold 2 million more vehicles this quarter versus a year ago. Upon reading the small print you see that they have sold 1 million less cars and 1 million less trucks but have sold 4 million of the new vehicle (a Moped) in place of the lost car and truck sales. This is exactly what the PC manufacturers are doing!
  • Reply 72 of 168
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by italiankid View Post

Considering that only 2 of the 5 makers reported a decline... That isn't great news for Apple or Dell.

Apple is losing ground.

Those MS Ads are working hahaha

You know, your trolling is almost getting tiresome. Almost.

Personally I don't care about Apples market share, as long as they keep producing their products.
  • Reply 73 of 168
    knightlieknightlie Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

The most common justification for people people buying a netbook is that they will only use them for surfing and email as a companion for their PC. I don't think you really need a feature by feature comparison to realize that a netbook is not a fully functional PC.

I mean really, the trajectory for the Space Shuttle rendezvousing with the International Space Station can be figured out by hand using a pencil and paper, does that make the pencil and paper a PC as well? Yes the netbook can do some of the things a PC can, but it is surely not a replacement for the PC, and if it can't be a replacement offering the same functionality why call it a PC?

What? A netbook IS a PC. They are functionally the same. Unless you can provide some PC functions that a netbook can't perform, of course, other than your nonsensical Space Shuttle metaphor.
  • Reply 74 of 168
    gmcalpingmcalpin Posts: 266member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

We know the OS sucks but where is an Apple comparable product? Where?

Not an white iBook for $1000- Where?

HERE.
  • Reply 75 of 168
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    This is a dumb story.

Market share should be measured in dollars spent - not in units shipped.

C.
  • Reply 76 of 168
    zunxzunx Posts: 620member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wealthychef View Post

Apple does not want to gain market share -- they are interested in and committed to creating insanely great products, period. The race for market share is inevitably a competition on price basis, and Apple does not enter that foray because it is antithetical to their mission.

Apple does want to increase market share. Any company wants it. But to make the iTablet a best-seller, it must be small (if possible, pocketable) and not more than 300 to 400 g or so. Hints:

OQO model 2+

http://www.oqo.com

OQO 2+ at CeBit 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1OYC02So2M

ViliV S5 at CeBit 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6RAlaO38hU&NR=1

UMID M1 at Cebit 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBzaTBmHzKs&NR=1

CES 2009: Sony Vaio P Series UMPC hand on video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcUdxRRtOLo

Apple should make something like the first picture of this:

http://spidouz.wordpress.com/2008/09...ooks-and-games

We need thousands for our University. But it must run full blown Apple Keynote and Microsoft PowerPoint presentations. The idea is NOT to work on the device, but to make the presentation on the Mac, save the NATIVE file to the device, carry ONLY the device IN your pocket (even the MacBook Air is too large and heavy for us) and use only the device for the presentation on videoprojector (VGA-out compatible). That easy!
  • Reply 77 of 168
    carniphagecarniphage Posts: 1,984member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

Apple does want to increase market share. Any company wants it. But to make the iTablet a best-seller, it must be small (if possible, pocketable) and not more than 300 to 400 g or so. Hints:

OQO model 2+

http://www.oqo.com

Isn't OQO on the verge of financial collapse?

Small screens require specialized mobile applications.

Desktop OS and desktop applications need large screens. I'd like something bigger than 30"

Unless there is something radical about it, I don't see a small tablet selling to anyone outside a Star Trek fan group.

C.
  • Reply 78 of 168
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sidste View Post

How did Acer do it? What happened to Gateway? Oh, yea! Acer bought Gateway! I have never seen in one of these article the authors talk about acquisitions. Apple could pay cash for Dell and jump to the top of this chart.

Where is the discussion of margins?

Sales of HP and Dell total over $160B and flat. They have a combined market cap of $103B.

Sales of Apple (all products) are around $35B. They have a market cap of $104B.

It's over $40 Billion now, but I get your drift.
  • Reply 79 of 168
    synpsynp Posts: 248member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kresh View Post

Imagine General Motors holding a press conference. After much cheering and back patting they release a statement that they have sold 2 million more vehicles this quarter versus a year ago. Upon reading the small print you see that they have sold 1 million less cars and 1 million less trucks but have sold 4 million of the new vehicle (a Moped) in place of the lost car and truck sales. This is exactly what the PC manufacturers are doing!

Nice analogy, but netbooks are not mopeds.

With a netbook, you can read email, surf the net (with all the frills - flash, silverlight, AJAX just works), run any office suite - MS, Open. You can run photoshop very well - computers were powerful enough for that that it didn't matter any more when they crossed the 1GHz barrier. You can also run iTunes, VLC, run development environments, read or edit PDFs. In short you can do anything you use a laptop for.

They're not always the right tool for the job. Sometimes you need a bigger screen, or maybe you do a lot of typing and prefer a bigger keyboard. Sometimes you want a lot of power, memory and bandwidth to run video editing. All those things will run on a netbook, but probably not well enough.

The actual set of things you can do with a laptop and can't do with a netbook is actually very small. So netbooks to notebooks is not mopeds to cars. It's compact cars to SUVs.

(can't wait for my kid to grow out of the child safety seat so that she stops kicking me in the back when I drive her. Doesn't make my Fiat Punto a non-functional car)
  • Reply 80 of 168
    drjedidrjedi Posts: 61member
    Motor vehicles are poor analogies for computers, but I'll play. Mopeds and scooters can dart and weave swiftly through traffic, much as a netbook user can weave around crowds carrying their laptop bags. At the cafe, a netbook user will be working and checking their email before I've got my MacBook Pro out of it's (heavy) backpack.

I'm seeing more and more netbooks used at the cafes in the college town where I live, and none of them have a glowing Apple logo.