SlingPlayer for iPhone may be facing opposition from AT&T

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
An apparent delay in the approval of SlingPlayer's release on the App Store, coupled with unconfirmed reports that AT&T isn't keen on seeing the device make its way to the iPhone, has led to speculation that the wireless carrier is seeking to have the software rejected in its current form.

Formally announced at January's Macworld Expo with an expected release date of March, the SlingPlayer Mobile application promised to allow iPhone users to stream live television over WiFi or 3G by tapping into home TV setups equipped with a Slingbox.*A built-in remote control function would reportedly allow for channel surfing and DVR setup.

Sling Media announced on March 26th that it had submitted the highly-anticipated application to the App Store for Apple's approval. It's been three weeks since then and the app has yet to gain Apple's approval, suggesting something is holding up its release.

During a media event to preview its iPhone 3.0 software last month, the iPhone maker touted its turnaround times on certifying applications for inclusion on the download service, saying it had approved 96% of apps submitted during the preceding two weeks, with 98% of those apps seeing approval in less than 7 days. So by the company's own standards, SlingPlayer's approval status has fallen below the curve.

Now, a new -- albeit unconfirmed -- report is fueling speculation that something may have gone awry during the application's approval process. BGR is citing an unverified source who claims that Apple plans to deny the application in its current form because AT&T has expressed concerns about its potential to saturate its 3G network.

Assuming the claim is accurate, Sling Media may need to alter the application to function along the lines of Skype for iPhone, which will operate over a WiFi connection but not 3G wireless networks. Such a move would obviously curb the appeal of the Sling application, making it inoperable more often than not. The claim is dubious, however, given that a version of SlingPlayer runs on several other AT&T devices like the BlackBerry Bold.

For its part, Sling Media has said that is has received no official word from Apple on the status of its submission.

Meanwhile, industry watchers are taking advantage of the matter to speculate that AT&T may have ulterior motives for requesting that Apple deny the application, if it indeed has chosen to do so. In particular, it's theorized that the wireless carrier may be close to making good on a promise to launch a similar service that would allow iPhone users to steer video recorders for its U-verse digital TV offering from their handsets.

A little over two weeks ago AT&T abruptly altered its terms of service to prevent services like SlingPlayer from running on its network, explicitly prohibiting "customer initiated redirection of television or other video or audio signals via any technology from a fixed location to a mobile device."

The carrier later reverted the terms of service, saying the change was a mistake.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 86
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    ATT is surely preparing their own app

There's big question, what are they all gonna do with their TV apps after 3.0 enables MMS?
  • Reply 2 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ivan.rnn01 View Post

ATT is surely preparing their own app

I think they are too, but even if they weren't I think that as an exec. of AT&T I would not allow SlingBlade on the App Store if it worked over the carrier's network which we know is already congested in some places.
  • Reply 3 of 86
    ivladivlad Posts: 742member
    Well, although I really want SlingPlayer on my iPhone I think it will slow down 3G network a lot, because of the heavy load of data. Maybe they can start with just WIFI.

But I sure do love my SlingBox =)
  • Reply 4 of 86
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I'm sure AT&T isn't too excited about Sling on its 3G network, outside of that the allusion to AT&T's motives just sound like a bunch of speculation. With all of the other media players on the iPhone why would AT&T care so much about Sling.
  • Reply 5 of 86
    just get this app out. have it start with Wifi only.

just let them release the darn program
  • Reply 6 of 86
    ATT is getting on my nerves lately with all of the restrictions/excuses for their lame 3G network. Honestly, what's the use of this network if you cannot do anything on it. You can't even make calls since it drops the connection all the time.

Sure they are working on their own offering but unlike the free sling player application, they are going to come up with additional monthly charge for their own crap.
  • Reply 7 of 86
    AT&T could beef up the 3G network since they know this stuff is coming rather than just wanting to block it all.

Also if they are planning on releasing their own and force Apple to deny SlingPlayer they are treading on VERY dangerous ground. That has anti-trust suit written all over it. Surely some of the many lawyers in their employ would see this and advise against it.
  • Reply 8 of 86
    ivan.rnn01ivan.rnn01 Posts: 1,822member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I think they are too, but even if they weren't I think that as an exec. of AT&T I would not allow SlingBlade on the App Store if it worked over the carrier's network which we know is already congested in some places.

Good point. Third party stuff usually isn't optimized anyhow.

Orange's TV app works. Personally, I am yet to see any problems... They, sure, don't count megabits eaten by TV streaming...
  • Reply 9 of 86
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    If the Slingplayer gets rejected for the iPhone and I will definitely be dropping my iPhone. I doubt anybody at AT&T or Apple would care if they lost my service, but it really ticks me off. I'm very excited about the upcoming iPhone hardware and software upgrades, but Slingbox owners have been waiting for this since the original iPhone came out - it just makes sense. All Windows Mobile phones, Palms, Symbian, and Blackberry devices can use it, and it doesn't cost extra. I don't get why the iPhone gets a different set of rules. It's B.S.

There has been no effort to create true streaming media for the iPhone by Apple or AT&T, so we're stuck in cell phone stone age?

How much longer are these companies going to continue to nickel and dime us for standard features?
  • Reply 10 of 86
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sf_dude View Post

ATT is getting on my nerves lately with all of the restrictions/excuses for their lame 3G network.

If their network is "lame" and you are from SF, I would think that you'd be happy that SlingBlade will not be further weakening AT&T's 3G network at this time. AT&T has been working quickly to get their 3G network up but there is still a lot for them to do.

Even if things were pretty good right now, Apple and AT&T do have to consider what will happen with v3.0 and the iPhone Video arrives this summer. If it's anything like last summer your city's AT&T network will be crippled again with a rush of new iPhone buyers. That would not be a good thing. Baby steps are often the best way to ensure long term success.
  • Reply 11 of 86
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by donlphi View Post

I'm very excited about the upcoming iPhone hardware and software upgrades, but Slingbox owners have been waiting for this since the original iPhone came out - it just makes sense. All Windows Mobile phones, Palms, Symbian, and Blackberry devices can use it, and it doesn't cost extra. I don't get why the iPhone gets a different set of rules. It's B.S.

The problem is that even if it gets released, most existing Slingbox owners will need a new Slingbox to take advantage. Such blatant profiteering!
  • Reply 12 of 86
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    I thought it was only Verizon that does this sort of thing?

That loyalty between Apple and AT&T must run as deep as an ocean to tolerate this BS.
  • Reply 13 of 86
    Quote:

If their network is "lame" and you are from SF, I would think that you'd be happy that SlingBlade will not be further weakening AT&T's 3G network at this time. AT&T has been working quickly to get their 3G network up but there is still a lot for them to do.

Even if things were pretty good right now, Apple and AT&T do have to consider what will happen with v3.0 and the iPhone Video arrives this summer. If it's anything like last summer your city's AT&T network will be crippled again with a rush of new iPhone buyers. That would not be a good thing. Baby steps are often the best way to ensure long term success.

Blah blah, blah - excuses, excuses. Everything is always weakening AT&T's 3G service including all their 3G phones. AT&T really has the upper hand here.
  • Reply 14 of 86
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:

I like them taters and mustard, ummhmm
  • Reply 15 of 86
    Its not true that all phones can use Sling Player, mostly only newer models.

What exactly is true streaming media?

Who is nickel and dimeing exactly for what?

Quote:

If the Slingplayer gets rejected for the iPhone and I will definitely be dropping my iPhone. I doubt anybody at AT&T or Apple would care if they lost my service, but it really ticks me off. I'm very excited about the upcoming iPhone hardware and software upgrades, but Slingbox owners have been waiting for this since the original iPhone came out - it just makes sense. All Windows Mobile phones, Palms, Symbian, and Blackberry devices can use it, and it doesn't cost extra. I don't get why the iPhone gets a different set of rules. It's B.S.

There has been no effort to create true streaming media for the iPhone by Apple or AT&T, so we're stuck in cell phone stone age?

How much longer are these companies going to continue to nickel and dime us for standard features?

• Reply 16 of 86
    donlphidonlphi Posts: 214member
    Quote:

It's not like AT&T and Apple are just winging it with their plans. They knew the direction this was going to go. I feel like you and some others on here are just making excuses. C'mon, we've all had our share of the Apple and now AT&T Kool-Aid, but you have to be blind if you can't see an ulterior motive. AT&T wants to charge iPhone users more than everybody else because we all pay a premium. They want to give you garbage media like Sprint did and offer CNN, WEATHER CHANNEL, and FASHION NETWORK and charge you $30 a month for it.

It has nothing to do with "baby steps", it's all about charging us for something that should be included.
  • Reply 17 of 86
    AT&T execs: "OH CRAP YOU GUYS THEY MIGHT BE ABLE TO DO SOMETHING WITH THEIR PHONES QUICK LET'S BLOCK IT"

They're almost as bad as the CRTC by the sound of this.
  • Reply 18 of 86
    Quote:

Baby steps are often the best way to ensure long term success.

That's totally preposterous!
  • Reply 19 of 86
    Wouldn't it have made sense to do this from the beginning if that was the plan? Many of the media outlets already provide streaming media of their content that can be watched on the iPhone. How exactly would AT&T nefariously undo that and begin to charge for their own service?

Quote:

It's not like AT&T and Apple are just winging it with their plans. They knew the direction this was going to go. I feel like you and some others on here are just making excuses. C'mon, we've all had our share of the Apple and now AT&T Kool-Aid, but you have to be blind if you can't see an ulterior motive. AT&T wants to charge iPhone users more than everybody else because we all pay a premium. They want to give you garbage media like Sprint did and offer CNN, WEATHER CHANNEL, and FASHION NETWORK and charge you $30 a month for it.

It has nothing to do with "baby steps", it's all about charging us for something that should be included.

• Reply 20 of 86

Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I like them taters and mustard, ummhmm