Best Buy rumored to take on iTunes with movie download store

Comments

• Reply 21 of 43
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Hollywood is screwing this up. On-line movie purchases should be no different than buying a DVD at Wal-mart, Best Buy, or even your local grocery store. Hollywood needs to create a standardized DRM (there's couldn't be worse than anybody else's) and let everyone sell players and titles from whomever wants to jump in and compete. People should be able to buy digital movie downloads from virtually every on-line store they visit, just like a DVD. Hollywood needs to pony up the money and stop looking for everyone else to provide the solutions.

DRM ..I agree but it shouldn't be controlled by Hollywood because Indies will simply get pushed out in favor of mega budget dreck.

The Govt is well within their rights to regulate some features of the media industry. Requiring universal and affordable (license wise) DRM that protects everyone is what they need to be looking at. It beats watching consumers get sued into oblivion.

Standards are great when they become pervasive and contain elements of fair use.
  • Reply 22 of 43
    old-wizold-wiz Posts: 194member
    So far it seems all these companies want you to buy their own brand of set top box connected to the net so you can pay them to watch movies. I have lost track of how many there are! Do you really want another set top box stacked somewhere? agh.
  • Reply 23 of 43
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by old-wiz View Post

So far it seems all these companies want you to buy their own brand of set top box connected to the net so you can pay them to watch movies. I have lost track of how many there are! Do you really want another set top box stacked somewhere? agh.

The latest are the new blu-ray players that also function as a internet download device.

Hmm, seems like the ATV could have done the same thing if they had only added that drive.
  • Reply 24 of 43
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mark2005 View Post

Jobs called AppleTV a hobby but he never said that about movie rentals. Movie rentals can be played on a computer or iPod/iPhone as well.

That is the comment I was going to make when I read rain's post. The content it distributes has nothing to do with being a hobby, it's a catalyst to sell more of their HW.

I'm curious to see how things will move in the next year. With so much "quality" (subjective) video moving to online downloads through different vendors and with different codecs and DRM that may or may not work with certain OSes and/or media appliances there is going to be another war on. I think that three can thrive together in this space but who will be lead the pack? I haven't seen anything spectacular from any of them at this time to indicate that this is the most convenient option for the average person that people.
  • Reply 25 of 43
    SERIOUSLY APPLE- GIVE IT UP.

APPLETV really is a lemon, a bag of hurt, and above all-a lousy hobby.
  • Reply 26 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I'm curious to see how things will move in the next year. With so much "quality" (subjective) video moving to online downloads through different vendors and with different codecs and DRM that may or may not work with certain OSes and/or media appliances there is going to be another war on.

It's a pity, but I fear you are right.

And the movie producers don't really mind that, as long as they're making their money.

(I still firmly believe that lower price is the long term way of significantly reducing piracy).

Quote:
    Originally Posted by pixelcruncher View Post

Hollywood is screwing this up. On-line movie purchases should be no different than buying a DVD at Wal-mart, Best Buy, or even your local grocery store.

Yeah, they need to be recognised as equivalent. How they do that is more controversial.

On a similar note - I think the future of "Free to Air TV" is in replicating the existing models into the online world. Let us watch Lost via AppleTV download from iTunes, free but complete with ads. Perhaps we don't need to record it on a PVR - and the ads can evolve into interactive, targeted ads.
  • Reply 27 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

SERIOUSLY APPLE- GIVE IT UP.

APPLETV really is a lemon, a bag of hurt, and above all-a lousy hobby.

SERIOUSLY TECKSTUD- GIVE IT UP. You really are a lemon, a bag of hurt, and above all-a lousy poster.
  • Reply 28 of 43
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Youtube just added Movies and Tv shows... this should be a welcomed addition to the AppleTV
  • Reply 29 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Postulant View Post

Youtube just added Movies and Tv shows... this should be a welcomed addition to the AppleTV

I hadn't though of that. Sweet!
  • Reply 30 of 43
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    It is the last desperate gasp of a dinosaur. They have to do it or Apple and Netflix will make them irrelevant.
  • Reply 31 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

SERIOUSLY TECKSTUD- GIVE IT UP. You really are a lemon, a bag of hurt, and above all-a lousy poster.

Thanks for that anantkoolaiddrinkerdaram. I'm sure if the exact opposite of those words of mine were posted, praising ATV -you would be the first one down on your knees acting like is was the second coming of Jobs.

Keep name calling people - what a great poster you are.
  • Reply 32 of 43
    Quote:

I hadn't though of that. Sweet!

Just imagine what Youtube's catalog will look like 6 months from now.
  • Reply 33 of 43
    Quote:

Youtube is great for watching on an iPhone, laptop or iPod Touch but seriously it's a friggin' joke to watch on a 50 inch Plasma/LCD HDTV with an AppleTV. If this is the best Apple Tv can do (youTube-woo hoo!) then it really is a joke.
  • Reply 34 of 43
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Youtube is great for watchimng on an iPhone, laptop or iPod Touch but seriously it's a friggin' joke to watch on a 50 inch Plasma/LCD HDTV with an AppleTV. If this is the best Apple Tv can do (youTube-woo hoo!) then it really is a joke.

Tell me, how do the HD videos look on the AppleTV?
  • Reply 35 of 43
    Quote:

Since it's owned by Google, I would hope they could get as big as Hulu (save for NBC's content) in considerably less time than that. Though any contracts that they have may have to wait, though YouTube might be able to secure movies better than Hulu can. I just hope that it's as organized as Hulu.

Quote:

Tell me, how do the HD videos look on the AppleTV?

It's funny how he blames Apple for YouTube's low bitrate files which only recently have been allowed to be higher. Not once mentioning the HD video you can load yourself into iTunes or the video purchase and rental from the iTS.

As for your question, in regards to HD video from the ITS, it's a big enough improvement their SD content that I think many would pay the extra buck, assuming they have the bandwidth to not have to wait long to queue it up. Blu-ray obviously trounces it in audio and video, as well as extra content, but I think that is only a big deal to a select group of people who the AppleTV isn't marketed for or designed for.
  • Reply 36 of 43
    Youtube has an HD section as well...
  • Reply 37 of 43
    Quote:

Youtube has an HD section as well...

Pointing that out will just infuriate him. He is obviously going off "Take 2" when this was offered for free for his already purchased AppleTV as a feature that wasn't previously promised. The quality wasn't good on a small computer screen and isn't even good on the iPhone's screen, but Apple obviously knew and it was assumed back when they released it that YouTube was going to be upping their resolution and bitrate in the future.
  • Reply 38 of 43
    Quote:

Pointing that out will just infuriate him. He is obviously going off "Take 2" when this was offered for free for his already purchased AppleTV as a feature that wasn't previously promised. The quality wasn't good on a small computer screen and isn't even good on the iPhone's screen, but Apple obviously knew and it was assumed back when they released it that YouTube was going to be upping their resolution and bitrate in the future.

I've really enjoyed my AppleTv. I use to have BlockBuster's movie pass, but I cancelled that and bought the AppleTv. I don't know how many movie titles are currently on the iTS, but it's in the thousands I'm sure. Realistically, there's noway in hell I could watch all those titles. I don't know anyone else who could either. Then you have tv shows, podcasts, youtube, music, music videos, and lets not forget the movies I added to iTunes myself.

It's a great device, and it meets all my video needs and more.
  • Reply 39 of 43
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

Kent Brockman is your guide on things like this.

"A world leader has been assassinated. We'll tell you who... right after this commercial message..."

Man, is that ever "spot on". [sigh]
  • Reply 40 of 43
    cu10cu10 Posts: 294member
    Next up...