Apple trumps Windows PC makers in customer experience study

2456

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by heavydevelopment View Post


    I guess maybe because many people just recently bought a new Acer netbook for cheap and they haven't had a chance for it to break down. Acer is one company I will never, ever buy another product from. Extremely poor construction--the equivalent of a plastic covered turd. I don't know maybe in buying Gateway that helped with their quality and customer service, but I'm highly skeptical.



    Acer does make decent computers....in countries other than the US.
  • Reply 22 of 111
    I am willing to bet Apple sponsored this study themselves as a counter to the MS sponsored study that showed Apple computers were too expensive.



    You got to love manipulation of the masses through media and advertising...
  • Reply 23 of 111
    cmf2cmf2 Posts: 1,427member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post


    I am willing to bet Apple sponsored this study themselves as a counter to the MS sponsored study that showed Apple computers were too expensive.



    You got to love manipulation of the masses through media and advertising...



    So they managed to agree to a contract, survey 4000+ people and produce the report in the short time since that study? Give me a break.



    The study is 100% believable if you've actually used a mac and a pc for any significant amount of time.
  • Reply 24 of 111
    shavexshavex Posts: 34member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by xSamplex View Post


    I have work to do. Why should I care about this? Apple users are happy? I have an Apple too, but so what?



    Apple fanz are really a bunch of ball washers sometimes. Maybe it's an inferiority complex or something - the obsession over whether a product you happen to buy is successful. And Apple repays you how exactly?



    This site should focus on technical news. I don't care if Apple is getting rich. And I sure ain't rooting for them to become rich at my expense.



    Well said, I'm tired of all the articles I've seen lately that seems to just be amplifying the Mac VS PC debate. Look it Apple scored an 80 so obviously there are people who didnt like it as much and I know people who dont like Macs at all for very legitimate reasons, they dont like change and they are use to Windows and you cant say thats a wrong way to reason because its their personal choice.



    I personally will never recommend Mac to anyone because of their cocky nature.



    Ill end with this, Apple HAS to make their software good with their hardware, they have no choice because if the software wasnt flawless with the hardware they have NO excuse! Windows has an excuse, they are developing an OS for virtually unlimited configurations of hardware!



    As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.
  • Reply 25 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post


    Well said, I'm tired of all the articles I've seen lately that seems to just be amplifying the Mac VS PC debate. Look it Apple scored an 80 so obviously there are people who didnt like it as much and I know people who dont like Macs at all for very legitimate reasons, they dont like change and they are use to Windows and you cant say thats a wrong way to reason because its their personal choice.



    I personally will never recommend Mac to anyone because of their cocky nature.



    Ill end with this, Apple HAS to make their software good with their hardware, they have no choice because if the software wasnt flawless with the hardware they have NO excuse! Windows has an excuse, they are developing an OS for virtually unlimited configurations of hardware!



    As a comp sci major I would never hope to work for Apple because it would be no challenge to make a OS that has limited hardware.



    Let me tell you that I think Apple is doing an amazing job pushing hardware and software to the bleeding edge. What has Microsoft done on computers that Apple hasn't done better? Name one thing... besides practically being a monopoly. I can't really believe you're a comp sci major, and you say you won't recommend Macs to friends... Have you USED a mac?



    I hate people who bash products that they haven't even tried to use... I'm also a comp sci and engineering major, BUT I can certainly understand that what Apple is doing is far better than what the competition is doing. A unibody aluminum notebook that weighs 4 lbs and has a 13" screen that manages to get to a price point of $1200? Tell me another manufacturer that comes close to managing that feat.



    And as for your excuse for Windows being crappy because they have two different companies developing it... well, that's no excuse at ALL. It's competition at work, and frankly, I wish SOMEONE would challenge Apple, so that Apple could figure out how to create even better products As an engineering major as well as a comp sci major, I think that having an unlimited number of hardware choices is a bad idea. Yes, the prices are lowered, but at the cost of driver issues, faulty/lower quality hardware, etc. Of course, you say that these are nonfactors for you, BUT in reality these do have an effect on how consumers experience setting up a PC. It's annoying when you order a Dell online and realize that they shipped a defective DVD drive, so you have to send the PC back to them and wait. With Apple, one company makes the product so you can just go to their stores and get a replacement on the spot.



    I'd RATHER work for Apple thanks to their integration of hardware and software to make their products better than the rest And no challenge to make a OS that works with limited hardware? You obviously have had no experience at all writing drivers then, have you? The stuff that Apple is doing is amazing BECAUSE it is difficult to integrate hardware and software so well, and even RIM can't do it as well..
  • Reply 26 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shavex View Post


    W



    I personally will never recommend Mac to anyone because of their cocky nature..



    Which makes about as much sense as a pair of thermal underwar in Death Valley at high noon.



    So does the Mac talk back to you in an intimidating manner? Or is Apple too "boastful" about something?



    LOL, neither of which has much to do with the product. Unless your Mac is somehow defective because Steve Jobs believes MS makes a third-rate product.



    Too funny.



  • Reply 27 of 111
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by NasserAE View Post


    Maybe when they release a tablet because (business wise) it doesn't make sense to invest heavily in handwriting recognition when you don't make the hardware for it. I know there are third party input devices and tablets (ModBook) put we all know Apple don't like to work for third party.

    I agree with you though. Microsoft handwriting recognition as well as voice recognition are excellent.



    OSX heavily supports artists using Wacom tablets so you would think Apple would provide support. Many folks use handwriting recognition with just a Windows PC and a Wacom tablet...no tablet pc needed. This has more to do with Jobs dumping handwriting recognition with the Newton IMO.



    I am just afraid that when Apple puts out a tablet, it will be multitouch only, with no stylus support. When I input kanji on my iPod touch (using the Chinese input - WHY is the only Japanese input via keyboard?) it is so difficult because my fingers are too large to draw a 15 - 20 stroke kanji on that tiny screen.



    In regards to the Modbook; it is a fully sanctioned product with Apple approval and blessing. This should be part of the OS just as it is for Vista. So many say Vista this, Vista that, but it really has some great features (I use it) and it works better than XP...with just 2GB of RAM and a 1.6 dual core. All of this nonsense that Apple and MS (and their supporters) are spouting about each other is just hot air. Both OSes work well for me. I am so tired of the OS war silliness. Just give me something that works.
  • Reply 28 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post


    Which makes about as much sense as a pair of thermal underwar in Death Valley at high noon.



    So does the Mac talk back to you in an intimidating manner? Or is Apple too "boastful" about something?



    LOL, neither of which has much to do with the product. Unless your Mac is somehow defective because Steve Jobs believes MS makes a third-rate product.



    Too funny.







    Well apparently he's actually a troll. All the 7 posts he's done so far are all about criticizing Apple in one way or another.. I can't believe I wasted 10 minutes writing trying to convince this person that Apple is truthfully better than the competition in multiple ways..
  • Reply 29 of 111
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sofabutt View Post


    I am willing to bet Apple sponsored this study themselves as a counter to the MS sponsored study that showed Apple computers were too expensive.



    You got to love manipulation of the masses through media and advertising...



    I also would like to know who sponsored the study. What kind of study was it? My recent statistics course taught me to question many of the so-called "studies" that are presented to the public. This applies to Apple and MS.
  • Reply 30 of 111
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,317member
    However good the timing of this report is, saying "Hey, we're the cheapest" is very hard to beat in terms of short term success. Low prices is a very hands on, measurable thing.



    Saying "Hey, our customers are the most satisfied" or "Hey, we're the best" or "Hey, while your cheap PC breaks down in a year, your Mac will keep going for 4 more years" I think takes a longer time to build up. And that is what Apple has been doing over the last couple of yeears, and now, years later, it's starting to pay off! I don't think "Hey, we're the cheapest" will make a serious impact on the development here.
  • Reply 31 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by palegolas View Post


    However good the timing of this report is, saying "Hey, we're the cheapest" is very hard to beat in terms of short term success. Low prices is a very hands on, measurable thing.



    Saying "Hey, our customers are the most satisfied" or "Hey, we're the best" or "Hey, while your cheap PC breaks down in a year, your Mac will keep going for 4 more years" I think takes a longer time to build up. And that is what Apple has been doing over the last couple of yeears, and now, years later, it's starting to pay off! I don't think "Hey, we're the cheapest" will make a serious impact on the development here.



    Unless they had no choice, why would anyone skimp out on the tool they use every day?
  • Reply 32 of 111
    takeotakeo Posts: 425member
    People... the research was done by Forrester! You know... the research company? That's what they do. That's all they do. Research. Apple had absolutely nothing to do with this report. So how is this report an example of Apple being "cocky" or whatever?
  • Reply 33 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    I would never get an iPod because of its upbeat, insouciant manner. I prefer my MP3 players to have a slightly brooding quality.
  • Reply 34 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post


    A unibody aluminum notebook that weighs 4 lbs and has a 13" screen that manages to get to a price point of $1200?

    Tell me another manufacturer that comes close to managing that feat.



    carbon fiber, 3.5 lbs, 13.1" 1366 x 768 XBright --- $1,171.91

    Sony VAIO VGN-Z540PAB: P8400 2.26 GHz, GeForce 9300M switchable GMA 4500MHD (6 hrs bat.), 160 GB, HDMI, card reader
  • Reply 35 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    People... the research was done by Forrester! You know... the research company? That's what they do. That's all they do. Research. Apple had absolutely nothing to do with this report. So how is this report an example of Apple being "cocky" or whatever?



    But Forrester's part of the Grand Apple Conspiracy.
  • Reply 36 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by OccamsAftershave View Post


    carbon fiber, 3.5 lbs, 13.1" 1366 x 768 XBright --- $1,171.91

    Sony VAIO VGN-Z540PAB: P8400 2.26 GHz, GeForce 9300M switchable GMA 4500MHD (6 hrs bat.), 160 GB, HDMI, card reader



    Except that none of that really matters since it doesn't run OS X.
  • Reply 37 of 111
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post


    i would never get an ipod because of its upbeat, insouciant manner. I prefer my mp3 players to have a slightly brooding quality.



    lol!!
  • Reply 38 of 111
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by floccus View Post


    ...Mac users who are willing to pay more are also more likely to be better educated and computer literate than the standard Windows user who is simply buying on price. I know in my circle of friends and co-workers, those who focus only on the price of the computer are more likely to also know significantly less about how Windows and the hardware in general works. ...



    It's been my experience, in school and at work, that the more sophisticated computer users are either long-time Mac people or are converts, due to frustration with Windows. The extremely sophisticated users, the ones who dump Windows and work with one of the Unix variants are okay with their machines, but they are an extremely small percentage of the total number of users. Most of the clueless users who cannot appreciate value and shop only for low price will make due with inferior machines and not even be aware of what they're missing. Apple is smart in giving up this market and focusing on a smaller niche that can appreciate the performance and quality that goes into their machines and doesn't mind paying a premium for it. These people know the true cost of using cheap tools on important work.
  • Reply 39 of 111
    lamewinglamewing Posts: 742member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Takeo View Post


    People... the research was done by Forrester! You know... the research company? That's what they do. That's all they do. Research. Apple had absolutely nothing to do with this report. So how is this report an example of Apple being "cocky" or whatever?



    I am aware that Forrester did the study, but who proposed it? Who paid for the study?

    Apple had nothing to do with the study? How do you know this for a fact? Link?
  • Reply 40 of 111
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,660member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by lamewing View Post


    I am aware that Forrester did the study, but who proposed it? Who paid for the study?

    Apple had nothing to do with the study? How do you know this for a fact? Link?



    Just for fun, let's say that Apple proposed and paid for the study. Does that mean the Forrester is in the business of providing "studies" that confirm whatever the client wants?



    If so, wouldn't they be commonly regarded as a PR firm, instead of a research firm?
Sign In or Register to comment.