Hulu Coming to iPhone

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

Pretty much the same issue Apple is facing with the App Store.

Hell, it's pretty much the same issue that everyone faces in the digital era: how to filter the tsunami of information in ways that allow to find what you need, without drastically limiting your choices, making you spend a lot of time figuring out appropriate boolean operators, or making you the target of an unseen or unacknowledged agenda.

Sturgeon's Law still holds water...

?Ninety percent of everything is crap.?
  • Reply 22 of 26
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    It can also be said that one mans trash is another mans treasure.

This type of culling is natural to any market. The best will rise to the top and the weak will die.

Quote:

Pretty much the same issue Apple is facing with the App Store.

Hell, it's pretty much the same issue that everyone faces in the digital era: how to filter the tsunami of information in ways that allow to find what you need, without drastically limiting your choices, making you spend a lot of time figuring out appropriate boolean operators, or making you the target of an unseen or unacknowledged agenda.

• Reply 23 of 26
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

This type of culling is natural to any market. The best will rise to the top and the weak will die.

Well... I'm not sure iFart represents "the best", but it certainly did meet the customer's demand for novelty apps.
  • Reply 24 of 26
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by TenoBell View Post

I'm not sure if that's true, though, given the realities of digital markets.

When shear volume, ease of access, and ubiquity becomes the primary characteristics of a market, filtering, ranking and search algorithms become at least as important as "quality."

It would be nice to think that a freely functioning, democratic market was allowing the best stuff to rise to the top, but there are a lot of not at all transparent decisions being made before we even have a chance to evaluate relative quality.
  • Reply 25 of 26
    I don't think this is a huge problem. Any time there is a new market to be exploited their is a glut of products to take advantage. Eventually everything calms down.

Remember back in the .com boom. Venture capitalists were giving money to any web service with a catchy name and no business plan. Eventually it all calmed down to the few that could actually provide a useful service or could make money.

Their are hundreds of television channels, how do you narrow that down to the few shows you like to watch?

Quote:

I'm not sure if that's true, though, given the realities of digital markets.

When shear volume, ease of access, and ubiquity becomes the primary characteristics of a market, filtering, ranking and search algorithms become at least as important as "quality."

It would be nice to think that a freely functioning, democratic market was allowing the best stuff to rise to the top, but there are a lot of not at all transparent decisions being made before we even have a chance to evaluate relative quality.

• Reply 26 of 26
    What can you say, someone found it a useful product. But I think those fart apps are just novelty and not a long term business.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Well... I'm not sure iFart represents "the best", but it certainly did meet the customer's demand for novelty apps.