NVIDIA unveils $1800 Quadro FX 4800 card for Apple's Mac Pro

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 63
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

Architecture...science....medicine....bah! The real demand for this card will be driven by hard-core gamers!

Like hell Gamers are the driving force of the FX line. Engineers [ME, ChemE, Materials, Geological, IEEE, ASCE, etc], CAD Designers, Bio-Sciences, and much more.

These are Consumer Line Cards. They are heavy on the OpenGL/OpenCL angle.
  • Reply 62 of 63
    Most people have no idea of how much frustration us 3D people suffer with screen redraws. All those textures and polygons are really taxing. And now that we have 64 bit hardware/software we make the scenes more complicated again with bigger textures and more polygons, which just blows away regular video cards. Having 3D artists sitting by and waiting for just the editor view to render because the graphics card is overloaded really sucks.

An $1800 graphics card for 3D Rendering and Animation will save hours of production time every week.

I agree with many, this card isn't going to speed up your photoshop or inDesign noticeably, but for guys like me this is a HUGE plus.

Steve
  • Reply 63 of 63
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archiform 3D View Post

Most people have no idea of how much frustration us 3D people suffer with screen redraws. All those textures and polygons are really taxing. And now that we have 64 bit hardware/software we make the scenes more complicated again with bigger textures and more polygons, which just blows away regular video cards. Having 3D artists sitting by and waiting for just the editor view to render because the graphics card is overloaded really sucks.

An $1800 graphics card for 3D Rendering and Animation will save hours of production time every week.

I agree with many, this card isn't going to speed up your photoshop or inDesign noticeably, but for guys like me this is a HUGE plus.

Steve

I really wonder. In tests, the 4870 did about as well, and in many tests, better.

This is just one. I have to leave, so I don't have tie to get the others, but they're about the same.

http://www.barefeats.com/nehal10.html