AT&T confirms ongoing upgrades to double 3G network speeds

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

What is it with one, two, or three post commentators who appear to be propaganda plants? Living 3 blocks from Downtown Dallas means nothing if there isn't a triangulation system dispersed throughout that city center. Dallas has a lot of line-of-sight issues and interference zones galore.

Living in Seattle has the same problems with Qwest and Verizon, not to mention T-Mobile.

None of these companies can proclaim Nation-wide clear access. It's not a lan line.

Please read:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/14/te...hone.html?_r=1
  • Reply 42 of 51
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Forget about speed for now. Lots of problems just making phone calls. I hate AT&T! I want my iPhone with Verizon.

I'm tired of:

- Not being able to make phone calls (they don't go through) even then I have full bars.

- Having calls drop on me.

- Calls going through but neither I nor the person I'm calling can hear me.

- Not being able call my wife that is somewhere in the same store with me. We both have iPhones. She hates AT&T too.

- My wife can't make or get phone calls at work even though it is in downtown Seattle without being right up against her window. Her building is not built like a bunker.
  • Reply 43 of 51
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sabon View Post

Forget about speed for now. Lots of problems just making phone calls. I hate AT&T! I want my iPhone with Verizon.

I'm tired of:

- Not being able to make phone calls (they don't go through) even then I have full bars.

- Having calls drop on me.

- Calls going through but neither I nor the person I'm calling can hear me.

- Not being able call my wife that is somewhere in the same store with me. We both have iPhones. She hates AT&T too.

- My wife can't make or get phone calls at work even though it is in downtown Seattle without being right up against her window. Her building is not built like a bunker.

I'm imploring you- join the growing number of us who have Verizon phones with great reception and the amazing iPod Touch - thinner, no cheap plastic and battery charges keep longer.
  • Reply 44 of 51
    sabonsabon Posts: 134member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

I'm imploring you- join the growing number of us who have Verizon phones with great reception and the amazing iPod Touch - thinner, no cheap plastic and battery charges keep longer.

So how do you use the iTouch as a phone? Be specific. What apps do you use. What do you have to do to set it up? How much does it cost? Etc., etc., etc.
  • Reply 45 of 51
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    What growing number of you? More people are leaving Verizon for the iPhone than the reverse.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

• Reply 46 of 51
    llaniollanio Posts: 3member
    April 22, 2009

Steven Jobs, CEO & other Apple Executives

John Zeglis, CEO & other ATT Executives

Dear Steven Jobs, Peter Oppenheimer & Timothy Cook of Apple and John Zeglis, Joe McCabe & Chris Corrado of ATT:

My iPhone service has been deteriorating since last Summer to the point where

\tI can make, receive and complete less than 20% of calls, and,

\tThe transmission of half of the remaining calls is so garbled that I can barely understand 1 in 5 words.

Apple has twice replaced my iPhone which means I am on my third iPhone. I get reception in other parts of the city but do not get reception where I live which means mornings and nights and when I am home in the afternoon.

After repeated calls I finally got a case number from ATT but then was prematurely advised (April 15) that ?the issue had been resolved? yet I still had problems. Upon appeal to the Apple retail store on Michigan Avenue , att opened another case and April 21 I was told that it was apple?s fault and that even though I was on my third phone, the phone was no good. Yet I still have the same problems.

At their request, I have laboriously documented all the incidents of Call Failure, No Service and garbled transmission. ans sent this to att technical people - Rob Givens and Stephen Wallace in Springfield IL. Givens had told me that the tower closest to me was degraded and would be fixed by April 16, 2009.

I paid $600 for this phone plus I purchased an extended warranty. I pay att $142 a month for so-called service.

I am keeping up my part of the bargain; I call upon you to keep up yours - that I will have working communications. I do not have another phone, use this phone for business, and have no reliable communication in the event of an emergency.

Apple?s agreement to deal exclusively with att is certainly not benefiting me. AND, now att says my poor service is Apple?s fault. I understand this contract between apple and att is being renegotiated to extend beyond 2010. What a mistake.

I am due immediate resolution of this issue. I am due the courtesy of a response. I want a working iPhone with reliable service. How convenient it is for one of you to say it is the other parties? fault. If you together cannot resolve this, I am due FULL REFUND OF MY iPHONE AND WARRANTY EXTENSION AS WELL AS FULL REFUND OF THE LAST 9 MONTHS? ATT NON-SERVICE.

Please respond immediately but if you phone and it sounds like I hung up, just call back: my phone does not work.

With determination,

Frustrated in Chicago
  • Reply 47 of 51
    apple should get out of the deal with att

April 21, 2009

Steven Jobs, CEO & other Apple Executives

John Zeglis, CEO & other ATT Executives

Dear Steven Jobs, Peter Oppenheimer & Timothy Cook of Apple and John Zeglis, Joe McCabe & Chris Corrado of ATT:

My iPhone service has been deteriorating since last Summer to the point where

\tI can make, receive and complete less than 20% of calls, and,

\tThe transmission of half of the remaining calls is so garbled that I can barely understand 1 in 5 words.

Apple has twice replaced my iPhone which means I am on my third iPhone. I get reception in other parts of the city but do not get reception where I live which means mornings and nights and when I am home in the afternoon.

After repeated calls I finally got a case number from ATT but then was prematurely advised (April 15) that ?the issue had been resolved? yet I still had problems. Upon appeal to the Apple retail store on Michigan Avenue , att opened another case and April 21 I was told that it was apple?s fault and that even though I was on my third phone, the phone was no good. Yet I still have the same problems.

At their request, I have laboriously documented all the incidents of Call Failure, No Service and garbled transmission. ans sent this to att technical people - Rob Givens and Stephen Wallace in Springfield IL. Givens had told me that the tower closest to me was degraded and would be fixed by April 16, 2009.

I paid $600 for this phone plus I purchased an extended warranty. I pay att $142 a month for so-called service.

I am keeping up my part of the bargain; I call upon you to keep up yours - that I will have working communications. I do not have another phone, use this phone for business, and have no reliable communication in the event of an emergency.

Apple?s agreement to deal exclusively with att is certainly not benefiting me. AND, now att says my poor service is Apple?s fault. I understand this contract between apple and att is being renegotiated to extend beyond 2010. What a mistake.

I am due immediate resolution of this issue. I am due the courtesy of a response. I want a working iPhone with reliable service. How convenient it is for one of you to say it is the other parties? fault. If you together cannot resolve this, I am due FULL REFUND OF MY iPHONE AND WARRANTY EXTENSION AS WELL AS FULL REFUND OF THE LAST 9 MONTHS? ATT NON-SERVICE.

Please respond immediately but if you phone and it sounds like I hung up, just call back: my phone does not work.

With determination,
  • Reply 48 of 51
    frustrated in Chicago -

QUOTE=mdriftmeyer;1405772]What is it with one, two, or three post commentators who appear to be propaganda plants? Living 3 blocks from Downtown Dallas means nothing if there isn't a triangulation system dispersed throughout that city center. Dallas has a lot of line-of-sight issues and interference zones galore.

Living in Seattle has the same problems with Qwest and Verizon, not to mention T-Mobile.

None of these companies can proclaim Nation-wide clear access. It's not a lan line.[/QUOTE]
  • Reply 49 of 51
    djames42djames42 Posts: 298member
    Erm, John Zeglis has not been with AT&T since 2004 when he negotiated a sale of AT&T Wireless to Cingular. Likewise Chris Corrado has also not been with the company in some time.
  • Reply 50 of 51
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    I greatly fear any changes made to ATT service during 3G upgrades. I know they've been working on 3G maintenance/upgrade in my specific area recently, as I had about 7 consecutive days without any 3G in my town (where I normally get full speed). Then suddenly 3G reappears, as fast as ever before.
  • Reply 51 of 51
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I greatly fear any changes made to ATT service during 3G upgrades. I know they've been working on 3G maintenance/upgrade in my specific area recently, as I had about 7 consecutive days without any 3G in my town (where I normally get full speed). Then suddenly 3G reappears, as fast as ever before.

What is your Rx/Tx speeds?

I'm in Cincinnati, OH today. My speeds on AT&T's 3G are 1.71Mbps/0.67Mbps. That is just about the best I've recorded.