Apple profits rise 15% on sales of 2.2M Macs, 11M iPods

Comments

• Reply 21 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

You're clearly, grossly, unequivocally, out of touch with the market.

Stop thinking of yourself, the world doesn't revolve around you. The Shuffle is a game-changer, just like the iPhone, the Touch, you name it.

The bulk of the market does NOT comprise people like you and me. Technophiles who post in tech message forums. It's all about the average user and what's good for them. And you know what, there's a lot to be said for being the average user. Life is easy when it comes to tech.

Indeed I am.

And I wholeheartedly acknowledge that as a fact.

Hey you know what? At least I'm not alone LOL
  • Reply 22 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We are extremely pleased to report the best non-holiday quarter revenue and earnings in our history,"

Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

Not bad Abramsky, not bad.

hahaa
  • Reply 23 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

I own over 1100 shares of this beautiful company and have been buying all the way down (after losing my shirt on the way up). I am glad to say, I have my shirt back, plus some suits and an entire wardrobe. The only down side is that 2 of my covered calls will be exercised and leave me owning 200 shares less...which is okay since I was a bit overexposed to this stock. Yay. Yay. Yay.

Good job. Drop your shorts and go long. Apple has a lot further to go.
  • Reply 24 of 104
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    If you live anywhere near an Apple Store, you would soon surmise that these so-called analysts are nothing more than glorified bean counters. Apple's retail platform hasn't missed a beat in how long now? Yet the naysayers seem to spend way too much time listening to people that have a vested interest in seeing the price of Apple shares fall, only to rapidly rise after the quarterly report blows by the "estimates."

Short sellers are the bane of our economy, and the sooner more is down to thwart their self-serving efforts, the better.

Instead of constantly challenging Apple to reveal more and more about Steve Jobs' health, they should have been pushing the SEC to reinstate the "uptick rule."

Ah well, in a perfect world....
  • Reply 25 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Good job. Drop your shorts and go long. Apple has a lot further to go.

Usually, "Drop your shorts" is followed by "and bend over"
  • Reply 26 of 104
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by piot View Post

Actually what you expected was

Is there a particular medical reason that you spout crap all of the time?

Haha, well put! teckstud is one of the more annoying posters in these forums. From denouncing the iPhone without ever having owned one to calling the shuffle a failure before it ever even reached stores, to this latest flip-flop on projections for this quarter, he is on quite a roll.
  • Reply 27 of 104
    virgil-tb2virgil-tb2 Posts: 1,416member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AllenKids View Post

... one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! ...

Every version of the shuffle Apple ever made was dissed by the pundits and described as "crap" by the tech elite, but every one of them sold like hotcakes and in "stupid-large" volume.

Shuffles also are one of the highest margin products Apple makes, going above their already large margins on their other stuff. So every one sold is more dollars percentage wise than almost anything they make.
  • Reply 28 of 104
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Oh~~~ Microsoft please end your miserable Zune line, quick. For there is no hope.

How can Apple manage to sell this many stupid (or not so stupid) mp3 players in a saturated market is just beyond me...and I'm a Apple fanboi.

Especially with one of the most stupid products Apple ever made - the new shuffle! (According to Techstud & many other pundits)

Bloody murder!!!

200 Million estimated iPods sold in a 6.5 Billion person world where a large portion of those 200 Million own 2 or 3 iPods through the generation should give you a clue that the real number of unique owners is < 100 Million and Apple has a lot of potential buyers out there, myself included.
  • Reply 29 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

200 Million estimated iPods sold in a 6.5 Billion person world where a large portion of those 200 Million own 2 or 3 iPods through the generation should give you a clue that the real number of unique owners is < 100 Million and Apple has a lot of potential buyers out there, myself included.

The thing is the over all PMP market is actually shrinking IIRC.

That's why I poked fun at Zune in my first reply.
  • Reply 30 of 104
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by David Scubadiver View Post

Usually, "Drop your shorts" is followed by "and bend over"

Not this time.
  • Reply 31 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Every version of the shuffle Apple ever made was dissed by the pundits and described as "crap" by the tech elite, but every one of them sold like hotcakes and in "stupid-large" volume.

Shuffles also are one of the highest margin products Apple makes, going above their already large margins on their other stuff. So every one sold is more dollars percentage wise than almost anything they make.

Tell me about it!

Despite my strong recommendation of the touch, my nephew go ahead bought the new shuffle & lost it in 2 weeks only to bug his mother to death and got himself another one.

Ah~~~There is nothing I can do about it that's for sure.
  • Reply 32 of 104
    Quote:

Tell me about it!

Despite my strong recommendation of the touch, my nephew go ahead bought the new shuffle & lost it in 2 weeks only to bug his mother to death and got himself another one.

Ah~~~There is nothing I can do about it that's for sure.

In your case, he's money ahead. What are the odds he would have lossed the Touch? His mother would be more money in the hole losing that one.
  • Reply 33 of 104
    Quote:

The thing is the over all PMP market is actually shrinking IIRC.

That's why I poked fun at Zune in my first reply.

It's not shrinking. They are claiming it's shrinking, when in fact, it will go through another pop when the upcoming kids [now too young to own one] will want one. They won't want their brother or sister's knock-offs. They'll want the next generation.

Unlike the original Sony Walkman, we aren't switching to a non-digital platform [digital in their case from analogue/tape]. We are in this world and will grow in it.
  • Reply 34 of 104
    Quote:

In your case, he's money ahead. What are the odds he would have lossed the Touch? His mother would be more money in the hole losing that one.

Well, this time he clip it on the right leg of his glasses which looks ridiculous but so long he don't lose it, his mother will restrain herself from commenting on it. >_<

In my case, his mother should just get him a ugly as hell sansa clip for $30 knowing freakishly small gadget do tend to get lost a lot more by a teenager.
  • Reply 35 of 104
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    In another thread, maybe another forum, I hit this squarely on the head. To bad I don't have the cash to invest.

Apple is doing a bang up job with the iPods and iPhone's. I'm still very concerned about the mac line up though. I don't honestly believe the the regression in sales here has anything to do withthe economy. Instead it is an issue of crap hardware, or in some cases no competitive hardware.

As a side note they do have exposure with respect to the iPod line up. They need a high capacity flash based model optimized for video and net usage real soon now. Call it Newton 2 or what ever you desire but Touch isn't the answer to every need. Not to hammer away but it needs to have that paperback novel format, that is stretched slightly for HD.

So while it looks good now Apple needs new product fast and it needs to go back and address the iMac screw up. Sure the quarter is healthy but so is the competitions investment in product development.

Dave
  • Reply 36 of 104
    Quote:

It's not shrinking. They are claiming it's shrinking, when in fact, it will go through another pop when the upcoming kids [now too young to own one] will want one. They won't want their brother or sister's knock-offs. They'll want the next generation.

Unlike the original Sony Walkman, we aren't switching to a non-digital platform [digital in their case from analogue/tape]. We are in this world and will grow in it.

Interesting input.

If you have some data to back it up, that would be very helpful.

The "industry consensus" (what a wonderful term!) main concern about PMP is the increasing numbers of capable smartphone among other convergence devices (another buzz word) will render a separate player unnecessary.

Beside iPod touch, I tend to agree with this observation.
  • Reply 37 of 104
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

In another thread, maybe another forum, I hit this squarely on the head. To bad I don't have the cash to invest.

Apple is doing a bang up job with the iPods and iPhone's. I'm still very concerned about the mac line up though. I don't honestly believe the the regression in sales here has anything to do withthe economy. Instead it is an issue of crap hardware, or in some cases no competitive hardware.

As a side note they do have exposure with respect to the iPod line up. They need a high capacity flash based model optimized for video and net usage real soon now. Call it Newton 2 or what ever you desire but Touch isn't the answer to every need. Not to hammer away but it needs to have that paperback novel format, that is stretched slightly for HD.

So while it looks good now Apple needs new product fast and it needs to go back and address the iMac screw up. Sure the quarter is healthy but so is the competitions investment in product development.

Dave

Well, our next big pop will come during the morning of the ADC in early June.

Let's hope the innovation in the new iPhone/iTouch can continue the momentum upwards.

Apple's right though, the app store is the biggest part of all this, esp for the iTouch.

Also having over 37 million capable game machines out there is surely worrying Sony's PSP division, and even Nintendo's DS people. I believe they've sold 100 million. How many of them are still around?
  • Reply 38 of 104
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by melgross View Post

Well, our next big pop will come during the morning of the ADC in early June.

Let's hope the innovation in the new iPhone/iTouch can continue the momentum upwards.

Apple's right though, the app store is the biggest part of all this, esp for the iTouch.

Also having over 37 million capable game machines out there is surely worrying Sony's PSP division, and even Nintendo's DS people. I believe they've sold 100 million. How many of them are still around?

I have a DS but don't use it anymore... all my "casual" gaming is done on the iPhone.

This might be the missed story of the day:

Nintendo's numbers dropped due to weak Wii and DS sales... I wonder if the people who would have bought DS's went looking at the iPhone/iPod Touch and bought it instead?

Especially with the killer app-store, now Nintendo's playing catch-up with their online game store and the DSi (which has been given a moderate good review, but nothing stellar).
  • Reply 39 of 104
    gyokurogyokuro Posts: 83member
    No surprises here, but can you imagine the raucous homecoming SJ will have if he steps onto the stage in June. I get fanboy chills thinking about it.

• Reply 40 of 104
    Oh, as expected, continued rip-off margins...