Apple may give Safari audio controls to silence irritating websites

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 79
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Y'know, if you poke around a bit, that option is already there.

In Safari 4 beta:

View Menu: Look at the TOP FOUR ITEMS"

Hide Book Marks Bar - Command - Shift- B

Hide Status Bar - Command - /

Hide Tab Bar - Command - Shift - T

Hide Toolbar - Command | (Shift - \\)

All that?!? Firefox - one click done- one click -it's back. I know it can be done must it's not simple.
  • Reply 62 of 79
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Virgil-TB2 View Post

Sounds great to me.

....... Unless this is something that directly bugs Steve Jobs, it may not happen.

Really it bugs me and I would think a lot of other people. So it is likely to bug Jobs.

As to Apple limiting control that has really never been an issue if the control is needed by the general user. They may work a bit on getting it "right", but that is why we are Mac users.

Dave
  • Reply 63 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An even simpler shortcut should be built in. Generally speaking, browsing on a 13" mb or mba is ok as is but the ability to quickly gain more real estate is a good thing. I am sure very few people would use it and personally I don't want a button, but neither do I want to delve into AppleScript.

No shortcuts needed on Firefox- a simple button on the upper right does it all and brings it all back FAST.
  • Reply 64 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Let someone else do it for you....

Yeah right- that's a lot simpler than an unobtrusive little button on the upper right hand corner of the browser itself .
  • Reply 65 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by paxman View Post

An even simpler shortcut should be built in. Generally speaking, browsing on a 13" mb or mba is ok as is but the ability to quickly gain more real estate is a good thing. I am sure very few people would use it and personally I don't want a button, but neither do I want to delve into AppleScript.

Did you check out the Firefox button I mentioned? Sweet.
  • Reply 66 of 79
    earthyearthy Posts: 16member
    According to Macrumors, this patent filing was made in late 2007. I sent in a feature request with the bug button when one of the new Safari betas came out around 2006-2007, asking for exactly this, even down to the mute and volume buttons in the title bar. (I don't remember whether or not I asked for the specifiable prefs but that seems to ring a bell as well.) This was just around the time when noisy ads had become an annoying distraction and MySpace was the big thing, just before Facebook really got traction. Looks a lot like my request got forwarded and after a period of discussion and GUI conceptual work they then decided to try it and patent the idea.

One thing though: this kind of title bar button works well with a Finder/iTunes-style window, but fails disastrously with the new Safari 4 experiment in tabs as a visual metaphor for managing multiple page views in a single window. Apple would do far better to ditch tabs as a page view metaphor, because they drastically limit the kinds of things you can do with the interface. I've said this already several weeks ago in another discussion forum when the Safari 4 beta came out: Apple would do far better to move toward a Finder/iTunes-style window with the gumdrop title bar button in the top right corner toggling between full toolbar and sidebar views and simple minimal title bar plus content. (This is what teckstud was asking for and many other people would like to see - and something OmniWeb already has.)

With a Finder/iTunes-style window, the sidebar could store bookmarks and thumbnails (or a list) for open views in your window. Another advantage that you couldn't fit into the messy and still confusing Safari 4 tabs metaphor would be that you could badge the thumbnail for each page with an indicator showing it has audio (or other things like a Flash video script) or other useful per-page info.

In minimal (title bar with title only) mode, which is especially useful if you work with a single but multi-page view browser window side by side with a word processor window, you could navigate pages with an in-app variant of Exposé (exploding all open page views - not just current windows - across your screen). If you need to drag a URL or other content into a window, the window could display a Final Cut-style or heads-up display graphic overlay when you mouse over it with the copied content, giving you the choice of replacing the current content of the window, opening it with a new window, or in a new page view in the current window, depending on where you drop the dragged content.
  • Reply 67 of 79
    physguyphysguy Posts: 920member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

While I guess I appreciate any new add-on, where is the most important missing Safari feature for me and many others- the ability to roll up the address/tool bar and give me a full screen experience with the click of a button? Like on most browsers. \

You mean like I'm doing right now? (not that I like it but it works). I admit it took two button presses but for such a small 'feature' seems reasonable. All I have on the screen is the title bar of the window, content, and scroll bars.
  • Reply 68 of 79
    rainrain Posts: 538member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jeffharris View Post

Yeah, great idea and long overdue. It would be cool if somehow Safari remembered your volume preference for each site, too.

I just hope that Apple sees fit to put Snap-Back back into Safari. It's loss is about the only thing I dislike about Safari 4 beta.

The snapback is still there... why do people keep complaining about this???

Well, at least my Safari version 4 beta has snapback... works great.
  • Reply 69 of 79
    I hate being congratulated that I won a free Nintendo Wii multiple times!
  • Reply 70 of 79
    sjb3sjb3 Posts: 1member
    I have been praying for this function for as long as I can remember.

Thank you Apple!
  • Reply 71 of 79
    postulantpostulant Posts: 1,272member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by physguy View Post

You mean like I'm doing right now? (not that I like it but it works). I admit it took two button presses but for such a small 'feature' seems reasonable. All I have on the screen is the title bar of the window, content, and scroll bars.

Yeah, you can even change the default two key step to one key if you like. No need to even touch the mouse, just hit the asterisk[*} key on your keyboard. It took all of 2 seconds...

• Reply 72 of 79
    I'm disappointed Apple keep patenting everything, BUT this would be a very welcome addition to Safari! Often I have iTunes running, and i load a site, and suddenly these strange sounds start playing. Aarghh!
  • Reply 73 of 79
    mactelmactel Posts: 1,275member
    That would be nice since the browser is really a media player and audio controls would be a logical thing to add. Leave it to Apple to really put good useful stuff into the browser.
  • Reply 74 of 79
    Yes Yes Yes, let us turn the sound down or off from those sites and pop up ads that shout to get our attention. THank you.

(Ok, so this is a hot "button" so to speak... )

I will be posting an Apple Safari Feedback to thank and encourage them on this one.

www.apple.com/feedback/ ummmmmmmmm didn't there use to be a Safari specific feedback? None now, I guess I have to file it under OSX...

And awaaaayyy it goes.
  • Reply 75 of 79
    But, how will I know that, "Congratulations, I've won a free iPod Nano"?
  • Reply 76 of 79
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Where are the controls for allowing popup windows from specific sites and domains? What about when web sites take over your screen by making their windows full size, or when they hide the toolbars and status bars? How about the ability to prevent those types of actions without having to completely disable Javasript?
  • Reply 77 of 79
    Individual volume controls for apps would be a feature I'd love to see. An easy way to do it would be to use the keyboard with Option-(volume controls) to increase or decrease the volume, or mute an app. You could also have a combination like Cmd-Option-(volume control) to adjust the volume for a particular window or tab. This action could also adjust the sound preferences for a particular app or website, that you could change via System Preferences.

It would also be useful if you could change the volume without having to switch to a window, e.g. if you hit the volume controls while pressing Cmd-tab then you could mute iTunes if you were watching a video on a website, etc. You could also use the volume controls with Expose to do this.
  • Reply 78 of 79
    nite41nite41 Posts: 41member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

This is what I really want:

A way to use iTunes right inside Safari. Just like Foxy Tunes add-on for Firefox.

Is there any plugin like this? I have looked almost everywhere, but no positive results!

Any ideas guys?

I got what I needed! It's a freeware called Sizzling Keys. Available on VersionTracker to download. Just press Command+Alt/Option+Right or Left Arrow Key to go to next song and Space to play/pause! No matter what you're doing. Now I can surf and listen to iTunes!
  • Reply 79 of 79
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nite41 View Post

I got what I needed! It's a freeware called Sizzling Keys. Available on VersionTracker to download. Just press Command+Alt/Option+Right or Left Arrow Key to go to next song and Space to play/pause! No matter what you're doing. Now I can surf and listen to iTunes!

There's also Synergy, a more full-featured, globally available iTunes controller.