10.3 What can we expect?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
10.2.3 was the best update by far. it fixed so many bugs and excelerated the GUI, which was/is still my number one complaint. So what can we expect in 10.3, the OS is rapidly becoming very mature.

I would hope that we are going to see the GUI finally reach speeds approaching that os the OS9 finder. I do wonder that there must come a time when the development of X will slow down, and the only issue will be compattibility with proessors.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    I cant think of much but possibly:
    • Quicker GUI.

• Possible

• Quicker all round performance.

I really cant think of much to be honest it almost works flawlessly for me. There is just one or two (Speed) that could be improved more.

*Not saying that I really have issues with speed.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Plays VCDs without resorting to 3rd party software. And of course, improved iApps.
  • Reply 3 of 26
    More iapps.

Dock 'undock' anywhere and swink in place docklings ('Hello younglings...')

970 to go with it.

Iron out bugs.

More use made of QuartExtremeGL accelerated visuals. (I like gimmicks...)

Bundled Indesign for UK users to promote 970 launch.

Cook for 1 minute in microwave.

Perfect.

Lemon BOn BOn
  • Reply 4 of 26
    ddmaddma Posts: 19member
    Hey, although I would not use this much but how about a hidden dock showing from any edges of the screen when you mouse move over there?
  • Reply 5 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by ddma:

<strong>Hey, although I would not use this much but how about a hidden dock showing from any edges of the screen when you mouse move over there?</strong><hr></blockquote>

If you mean the dock is invisible, and only appears when you drag the mouse to the side the dock is on, well that's already implemented. But it only works with the side the dock is positioned on.

I can't really think of much to add to OS X. Speed (for me at least) is quite good now. iChat needs an update. I guess Apple's problem now is its hardware, not the OS.

EDIT: Opps, forgot Appleworks.

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: Spiffster ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 26
    [quote]Dock 'undock' anywhere and swink in place docklings ('Hello younglings...')<hr></blockquote>

Eh, translation?

I'd like to see table/charting objects available to apps similar to the word processing objects.

Add grammar and improved summary services.

Add header/footer layouts to standard text tools.

Improved spline/polygon/drawing objects/tools

More features in open/save dialogs (I probably would rarely use more than what's there now, but I think there are a lot of requests for this).

ability to create/save textures or patterns in the color panel (there are backdoor ways of doing this now).

re-thought Services interface?

Expand Image Capture framework to use more scanners (might need to be able to interpret PS plug-ins for this). Can any app already tap into the IC framework? If not, make this possible.

hierarchical drag-n-drop in Dock folders, i.e., spring-loaded Dock. Add "close" to Docked windows' pop-ups. Allow Dock to be configured like a toolbar with flexible spaces, separators, standard shortcuts, etc.

Save Finder and Sherlock searches.

Improve Help with ability to have user guides along the lines of what they had in 9 (step-by-step walk-through).

Improved speech technology -- better voices, more speakable items by default, etc.

I'm sure I'll think of more...
  • Reply 7 of 26
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    speed would be nice but you have to understand there is a limit

i don't know about others but 10.2.3 is fast, i'm running a 400MHz processor with 384 mb ram and OS X isn't that much slower then 9. I imagine on any new computer its down right zippy. Apple can only improve code so much and like other OS's, you will eventually need newer hardware to run it because it gets more complex. OS X is VERY mature and getting farther every update. I am still impressed that apple is increasing functionality and speed at the same time (heh, kinda tells about some rush rush workmanship to get it out before...but everything is like this really). Apple needs to update iApps, esecially iChat, but their main concern now should be hardware
  • Reply 8 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by ast3r3x:

<strong>

i don't know about others but 10.2.3 is fast, i'm running a 400MHz processor with 384 mb ram and OS X isn't that much slower then 9. I imagine on any new computer its down right zippy. Apple can only improve code so much and like other OS's, you will eventually need newer hardware to run it because it gets more complex. OS X is VERY mature and getting farther every update.</strong><hr></blockquote>

I agree, OSX on my G4 400, 512 mb ram, Radeon AGP is quite fast too.. Not up OS9 speeds, but about 90% of it!

The only thing thats slow is when im having 'big' programs open... Java apps, photoshop, VPC, etc. etc.

The only thing I could think of that _really_ needs some speedup, is OpenGL.. That baby is slooow compared to DirectX.. Or if its just this way OpenGL works, then Apple needs some other 3D API.

. o O (Rave! )
  • Reply 9 of 26
    of you ask me 10.2.3 gave me a lot of trouble

most of al in the gaming section

SOF II keeps crashing because of 10.2.3

and i have to say i come across a lot more unexpected stops then I like to see

but for the rest its quit good
  • Reply 10 of 26
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    [quote]Originally posted by Addison:

<strong>So what can we expect in 10.3</strong><hr></blockquote>

A $129 price tag.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Improved print center. Better postscript handling.

More drivers for printers, digital devices etc.

Improved networking with legacy systems. (hopefully that nasty file coruption bug will be fixed - NT to OSX)

Better networking interface! GUI

A "Scanning Center", much like print center but for scanners.

Those new inset buttons that appeared on some apps with 10.2.3

SPEED, I also use a G4 400 with loads of RAM, but it is still not up to OS9.

More iChat features and fixes. (more fixes to follow imediately with 10.3.1)

More dock customization.

Clock wil show time date, day of week and time without having to go to command line.

Full control over start up screens, login panels, etc. without having to manually changing them, or using third party such as "Visage" (good software though)

Did I mention SPEED yet?

Individually lock Icons on the dock so they do not accidentally go "missing"

A Canadian flag for the keyboard!! not just the French Canadian Keyboard without a decimal key! - OK I know this is a minor one for many of you but it is a huge piss of for me! I need multiple keyboards so I can't just turn it off and I have to look at an american flag everyday! I am not an american and I do not like American politics... It makes me hate the flag. And adds to a negative opinion of Amercicans even though the vast majority of them are caring and intelligent people. I don't like having the flag forced upon me. ... appologies for the rant.. I know wrong place. My Bad.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    Whoa! Try decaf?
  • Reply 13 of 26
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    [quote]A "Scanning Center", much like print center but for scanners.<hr></blockquote>

The Image Capture framework handles this now, just like digital cameras. It's just that no one wants to make TWAIN drivers any more I guess.
  • Reply 14 of 26
    how's about being able to turn anti-aniliasing off system wide like you can in 9.2.2!!!

Tinker tool dont do it in jag.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by cybermonkey:

<strong>how's about being able to turn anti-aniliasing off system wide like you can in 9.2.2!!!

Tinker tool dont do it in jag.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Why?

Have you looked at OS X sans AA?

Really. not going to happen.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    I'd like to see a lot of beef added to iCal. The to-do list is particularly lame.

I suspect/hope the next new iApp will attempt to do for mobile phones what iPhoto did for digital cameras.

Oh, and the Applescript editor doesn't seem to be able to record anything under X. Presumably some domesticated geeks are working on this....
  • Reply 17 of 26
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    It's interesting that quite a few of the suggestions bear upon iApps, rather than the OS... Apple will work very hard to keep these two separate - in the minds of the public. But more and more of the underlying technologies will, in the future, be incorporated in frameworks.

There will be no more intentional optimizations for speed in the software - instead the focus will be upon supporting hardware that enhance speed. Bleeding-edge GPUs, better bus technologies (after October/November -03), and other specialized PUs are but examples. The reason, of course, is to "encourage" faster hardware upgrading by users.

A lot of things need enhancement UI-wise, as anyone using Watson, Default Folder or Pathfinder knows. While Sherlock will get a lot of attention, to make it as good as (and hopefully better than) Watson, the dialog boxes will not be improved as much as they need to. The lack of an overall UI strategy (to wit, the close/max-/minimize window widget inconsistency in 10.2.3) will continue to prevent the across-the-board intuitiveness of OS9, and Apple will continue to make strange decisions, like they did when scrapping the Minimize-in-Place feature. I use this all the time, and I haven't found any bugs or the introduction of any system instability that were offered (unofficially) as excuses for leaving it out. It doesn't replace the OS9 functionality that Windowshade gives back to OSX; instead, it offers an excellent enhancement to anyone running many programs on one smallish screen...

Apple COULD build in full support for GIMP, and support for configuring it, thus alleviating the problems owners with older or uncommon printers have - but they probably won't, unfortunately.

As for the iApps, iPhone (... by any other name...) support will be enhanced, commensurate with better ability for QuickTime to handle the newer, Internet-related multimedia "standards"; this will of course also spill over into iChat. The Jobsian darling, iCal, will continue to develop, but apart from bug fixes it will mostly be moving towards on-net usability.

Oh, and I didn't mention meta-tags...

engpjp
  • Reply 18 of 26
    A very modest improvement I'd like to see is a mute button that mutes the iSub. Right now the keyboard mute button doesn't affect the iSub - it just keeps on thumping.
  • Reply 19 of 26
    [quote]Originally posted by boy_analog:

<strong>Oh, and the Applescript editor doesn't seem to be able to record anything under X. Presumably some domesticated geeks are working on this.</strong><hr></blockquote>Have you tried the all-new cocoa version 2.0 beta? It records fine for me.

[ 01-02-2003: Message edited by: Brad ]</p>
  • Reply 20 of 26
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    [quote]Originally posted by Buggy:

<strong>A Canadian flag for the keyboard!! not just the French Canadian Keyboard without a decimal key! - OK I know this is a minor one for many of you but it is a huge piss of for me! I need multiple keyboards so I can't just turn it off and I have to look at an american flag everyday! I am not an american and I do not like American politics... It makes me hate the flag. </strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://forums.appleinsider.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=10&t=001101"; target="_blank">try dvorak </a>