A brief look inside Apple's upcoming Paris retail store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    xsushixsushi Posts: 1member
    Apple's trading in a giant glass cube for a glass Pyramid? I approve!
  • Reply 22 of 29
    Fantastic location for tourists, but is it really their target.

I would have thought Parisians would be, and this is a pathetic location for them. We don't shop more in Les Champs Elysees than Le Louvre. It may be a sad reflection on myself, but I was born and raised in Paris and don't think I've been in the area more than 5 times.

So big miss in my opinion, as most would need to travel on purpose to it (vs stop by as they shop for other things too).

It's like having an Apple shop at the bottom of the Statue of Liberty (French as well BTW) in NYC.... would the locals go ??!
  • Reply 23 of 29
    If you ask me the Champs Elysee is not somewhere to put a flagship store. It is full of horribly tacky stores that sell mainly tourist tat and I don't think many french people actually go there to shop.

However neither is the carrousel an ideal location as it also primarily for tourists and is not an area that shoppers are likely to pass. I can't imagine the average museum visitor deciding to buy a new laptop in between visits to see the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo.

I would have preferred to see the it on Boulevard Haussmann next to Gallarie Lafayette or near the La Bonne Marché on the south bank, which is known for its high end boutique shopping.

a brit living in Paris........
  • Reply 24 of 29
    nixinixi Posts: 49member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jcart12 View Post

However neither is the carrousel an ideal location as it also primarily for tourists and is not an area that shoppers are likely to pass. I can't imagine the average museum visitor deciding to buy a new laptop in between visits to see the Mona Lisa and the Venus de Milo.

I would have preferred to see the it on Boulevard Haussmann next to Gallarie Lafayette or near the La Bonne Marché on the south bank, which is known for its high end boutique shopping.

The Carrousel may not be a high-density commercial spot, but at least it's a clear/known destination. It's also one Metro stop from Châtelet, arguably the highest traffic area in the city.

People interested in going to an Apple store will go to the Carrousel, as there are fringe benefits (more shopping + culture) and the access is much much easier than Blvd Haussmann, the Rive Gauche (Le Bon Marché) and even The Champs Elysées ( a few metro stations further down line 1).

Also as far as the interior of the Carrousel goes, it's very upscale/clean, even after all those years. Must have something to do with it being adjacent to the Louvre Museum.

Oh, and speaking of which, can you think of a better association for a brand that evangelizes quality, than one of the most importanT museums in the world? (Or: can you think of any other computer company whose association with the "Louvre" name would make sense?)

I also wonder how difficult it is to obtain a permit to keep a store open on Sunday. In Paris, most stores are closed on Sunday, except in areas like the Marais, for example. The Carrousel stores, on the other hand are open on Sundays - the Virgin Mega Store used to always be busy (though not swarmed with buyers) on Sundays: it made for a very pleasant and relaxing way to discover and purchase music.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    Every so often it hits me again how BRILLIANT it was for Apple to launch retail stores!

In many ways it was as courageous as it was obvious. And they have hit homeruns over and over again with it.

Steve Jobs often cites a quote by Alan Kay: "People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." But Apple has taken that to the next dimension by proving those who are really serious about software and hardware, should also make their own retail experience.
  • Reply 26 of 29
    jimzipjimzip Posts: 446member
    This is actually really cool. Can't wait to see what they'll do with the space.

Jimzip
  • Reply 27 of 29
    sipadansipadan Posts: 107member
    Quote:

The more I think about it the more the Carrousel location sounds the best possible option to start in Paris. I doubt Apple is expecting Mona Lisa tourists to buy iMacs by the truckloads.... duh. But they might get an Ipod or other Apple related products. As for Parisians well a lot of them do visit that mall often, for other upscale brands. And it's very central, easily accessible from any quarter of the city.

On the Haussman Bvd? you must be joking: one it'd be like an Apple store next to Macy's, and two they would not in a million years get any retail space anywhere NEAR that area. Not only there won't be any property available in our lifetimes but also it has special zoning status (being next to the old Opera) and you basically can't build anything new from scratch without going through a monument architecture commission....basically it goes all the way to the culture minister cabinet.. so dream on.

Le bon Marché (and not La Bonne Marché....) option is more debatable. It's a little like the Village one downtown NYC. Except the area in Paris is mostly fashion shops, a mix of fashion brands and not as great ones. <i don't see Apple fitting there. The quarter hasn't been remade new recently like the dowtown nyc block around the Apple store. Lastly... that area has also a monument zoning string attached to it...

The only other option I can think of with potential would be the Bercy Mall area, brand new and nice brands. And a lot of traffic every single day of the week. Only problem is it's quite outside of the center, to the East. I hope they consider it if there's ever a second store in Paris.
  • Reply 28 of 29
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:

If you ask me the Champs Elysee is not somewhere to put a flagship store. It is full of horribly tacky stores that sell mainly tourist tat and I don't think many french people actually go there to shop.

I am sure at some point Apple will open a store in Bvd Raspail/Rue du Four/St Germain-des-Pres Area, which is by far my favourite shopping area in that great city.

And Le Bon Marche ? ) Well, unless LVMH (who own it) rent a spot for Apple ...
  • Reply 29 of 29
    nasdarqnasdarq Posts: 137member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Sipadan View Post

The more I think about it the more the Carrousel location sounds the best possible option to start in Paris. I doubt Apple is expecting Mona Lisa tourists to buy iMacs by the truckloads.... duh. But they might get an Ipod or other Apple related products. As for Parisians well a lot of them do visit that mall often, for other upscale brands. And it's very central, easily accessible from any quarter of the city.

On the Haussman Bvd? you must be joking: one it'd be like an Apple store next to Macy's, and two they would not in a million years get any retail space anywhere NEAR that area. Not only there won't be any property available in our lifetimes but also it has special zoning status (being next to the old Opera) and you basically can't build anything new from scratch without going through a monument architecture commission....basically it goes all the way to the culture minister cabinet.. so dream on.

Le bon Marché (and not La Bonne Marché....) option is more debatable. It's a little like the Village one downtown NYC. Except the area in Paris is mostly fashion shops, a mix of fashion brands and not as great ones. <i don't see Apple fitting there. The quarter hasn't been remade new recently like the dowtown nyc block around the Apple store. Lastly... that area has also a monument zoning string attached to it...

The only other option I can think of with potential would be the Bercy Mall area, brand new and nice brands. And a lot of traffic every single day of the week. Only problem is it's quite outside of the center, to the East. I hope they consider it if there's ever a second store in Paris.

Sipadan, who said Apple should build something? Of course, in most places in Paris this would be impossible.

Do you know Starbucks next to the Opera? I think it's an iconic architectural space, with just a bit of modern refurbishing, but still retaining all the great Hausmanian characteristics. Apple should go for something like that, something so Parisian yet modern.