iPod touch web share triples as Windows reaches new low

Comments

• Reply 21 of 59
    jerseymacjerseymac Posts: 408member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

On the desktop, Apple isn't seeing quite the same explosive growth as in mobile but still has some reason to be content

I have a co worker who told me he needed a new computer. I suggested a Mac and got the usual "No way! They're too expensive! I'm going to get a four hundered dollar Vista computer from Best Buy."

Sadly, the ads do work sometimes.
  • Reply 22 of 59
    deanbardeanbar Posts: 113member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by rickypedia View Post

saw this on twitter, ( on ipod touch, using TwitterFon ) I think a big surge is due to disabled users who are also connecting via home or free WiFi not just 2g/3g and like the portability when in the "reading room" or just moving from room to room.

Can you see bringing your whole laptop into..well use your imaginations

Also, I expect, like me, many people often probably connect to the internet when the adverts come on during a tv program. It could be that some interesting point was discussed or mentioned, a descriptive/technological word perhaps, that I want to check up on etc, I can look it up on the web while the adverts are on, or have a quick session of Bejeweled or Sudoko, check my email, look up the latest news without having to switch channels - because you can!!

It comes as no surprise to me how popular the IPT has become in such a short time, as more and more people discover its potential.
  • Reply 23 of 59
    columbuscolumbus Posts: 282member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I didn't realize Linux was so small. We (Mac) are the same size relative to them as Windows is to us.

I think it is good to highlight this. Part of this is because it was OS X, not Linux which made UNIX user friendly. Even though OS X launched years after Linux was apparently meant to have achieved this goal.

Whilst Linux is in use in a lot of places (wireless routers, server rooms) very few people use it on the Desktop.

The Mac is the opposite. The server presence is minimal, presence in embedded devices is minimal, yet presence in devices people choose to buy for personal and professional and use day-to-day basis is fairly significant.

This is I think these usage statistics are far more interesting and relevant that market share figures.
  • Reply 24 of 59
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    I can get work done faster on an ipod touch versus any PC desktop.
  • Reply 25 of 59
    daniel001daniel001 Posts: 56member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

US market share or global worldwide market share? It is not the same.

According to Net Applications, their figures show the global market share; but they seem to be heavily skewed towards English-speaking sites. They generally credit Apple with about twice the market share indicated by other sources: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS_mark...#Summary_table
  • Reply 26 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Work? If that's not a hyperbolic line, then there aren't any.
  • Reply 27 of 59
    cameronjcameronj Posts: 2,357member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Heh, what kind of work?
  • Reply 28 of 59
    ipodrulzipodrulz Posts: 38member
    I think it's cause it's below 1% and they didn't change how much detail they want to show!
  • Reply 29 of 59
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dreyfus2 View Post

As the overall PC shipments are down (even after including netbooks), where exactly would you see this "effect"? People who bought a 15" Acer Crapbook GTi DOHC in 2008, just bought an 10" eekPC in 2009... they both show up as Windows in this statistic.

I think you are correct. My question was directed more at the several posters who have

stated that Apple is losing massive market share to netbooks. If they were correct, one

would expect to see a spike in the Windows usage statistics, and a corresponding dip

in the Apple usage stats, nicht wahr?
  • Reply 30 of 59
    orange whiporange whip Posts: 151member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by zunx View Post

US market share or global worldwide market share? It is not the same.

why is it that every news item, blog, web site, discussion, whatever... about market share, leaves you clueless. NO ONE EVER PROPERLY QUALIFIES WHAT THE HELL IT IS THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

what is the point if statistics are not qualified?

Market share of WHAT????

- for what period

- for what location

-for which demographic

exactly, global and US market share are not the same thing.... what are we talking about here??????

anyone?
  • Reply 31 of 59
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

why is it that every news item, blog, web site, discussion, whatever... about market share, leaves you clueless. NO ONE EVER PROPERLY QUALIFIES WHAT THE HELL IT IS THEY ARE TALKING ABOUT

Market share of WHAT????

- for what period

- for what location

-for which demographic

exactly, global and US market share are not the same thing.... what are we talking about here??????

anyone?

"Market" share looks to be a misnomer anyways. I think it's a lot more appropriate to call it a usage share, if I were to offer a suggestion. "Market" implies something's being sold, and that's a hard thing to pin down. Web stores are selling products or services, and most web sites are selling ad space, but I don't think either is affected by the type of device it's being sent to. I know my own site doesn't make any differentiation. Some major sites do make simplified versions of their sites for mobile devices, but usually as a device class, usually it's not singling out a specific device model.
  • Reply 32 of 59
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

"Market" share looks to be a misnomer anyways. I think it's a lot more appropriate to call it a usage share, if I were to offer a suggestion. "Market" implies something's being sold, and that's a hard thing to pin down. Web stores are selling products or services, and most web sites are selling ad space, but I don't think either is affected by the type of device it's being sent to.

Hm, I think what they really mean is the online advertising market in this context. And here the device does matter a bit. If 50% of my hits come from an iPhone, using Flash ads will not make me that rich.
  • Reply 33 of 59
    dreyfus2dreyfus2 Posts: 1,072member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by quinney View Post

I think you are correct. My question was directed more at the several posters who have stated that Apple is losing massive market share to netbooks. If they were correct, one would expect to see a spike in the Windows usage statistics, and a corresponding dip

in the Apple usage stats, nicht wahr?

OK, I see. There is a little twist here. Online usage does reflect the sum of all computers and smart phones still in use, some of them may be up to 8-10 years old, the majority maybe 2-3 years. The number does not only reflect devices sold in the last three months. You see a higher percentage of e.g. iPhones, as the smartphone category is rather new (it did not really take off before the iPhone), but for computers market share (sales-wise) has to change dramatically to make a noticeable impact on Website statistics. The statistic does not really tell a lot about market share at all (Apple is miles away from 9% globally, estimates are 3-4% methinks); a lot of Windows and Linux boxes are used in business environments without Internet access (or restricted to Intranet use), or work as dumb terminals or do mainly access sites not being watched in this statistic (as this metric focuses on advertisements, sites without any should be under-represented), while likely close to 100% of Macs are used for private surfing.

The global computer market shrunk 7% in Q1 CY2009 (year-over-year). If you eliminate netbook sales from the numbers, it shrunk around 15%. Apple sales (by units) only declined 3%. So, Apple's market share grew a tiny bit when compared to the 7% figure, quite a bit, if you eliminate netbooks from the statistics, and the profit share should be through the roof (as Apple does not even compete in the netbook segment). Truth is: So far Apple has not lost any market share to netbooks, individual buyers certainly.
  • Reply 34 of 59
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dunks View Post

Don't worry guys - it was just me.

• Reply 35 of 59
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by orange whip View Post

Market share of WHAT????

- for what period

- for what location

-for which demographic

anyone?

My all time favorite saying: "85% of all statistics are made up"
  • Reply 36 of 59
    citycity Posts: 522member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Stashman View Post

The less people using IE (any version) the better. I'm a web develop and it's a pain in the ass to make anything work/look right in.

That would be fewer people.
  • Reply 37 of 59
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

I have a co worker who told me he needed a new computer. I suggested a Mac and got the usual "No way! They're too expensive! I'm going to get a four hundered dollar Vista computer from Best Buy."

Not on the Premium end of the market, which Apple is targeting. Those who do have the money to spend have, and will continue to invariably choose a Mac.

The rest of the market can stay stuck on cheap windows boxes. No taste. Fine by me.

But in the end they'll pay. Just in a different, perhaps more furstrating way.
  • Reply 38 of 59
    doggonedoggone Posts: 379member
    How many netbooks use XP vs. Linux? Either way the Netbook surge could make a serious dent in M$'s market share and put them in even more of a mess.

Vista computers are a bag of hurt. My old man is stuck with his new machine. He tried to set up a web cam so that we can Skype. My mac is perfect. His PC worked once and since then the sound is off. He has no idea how to fix it. He spends hours trying to get it to work.

I'm going to have to get him a MacBook.
  • Reply 39 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Someone in the market for a $400 Best Buy notebook isn't in the market for an Apple computer in the first place. So its not really a lost sale.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Jerseymac View Post

• Reply 40 of 59
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Unless you load on another browser, I don't see very many people avoiding the use of Safari. Their is something like 8 million websites and native apps are an infinitesimally smaller number.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by guinness View Post

As for as the Touch, I'm not sure what to say about 1.5 users out of a 1000 is really being that significant. I can't say that I ever use mobile Safari much anymore, as one, I don't like it, and two, I've got my netbook.