MacBooks sweep latest Consumer Reports scores

Comments

• Reply 41 of 104
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    Don't be sorry, he doesn't even use AT&T.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by randythot View Post

Sounds like you're not happy with your AT&T coverage, and/or customer service. Sorry.

• Reply 42 of 104
    tenobelltenobell Posts: 7,014member
    I guess we all have our talents.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Figures that you would be the first to post something negative and irrelevant. Thanks for not disappointing us.

• Reply 43 of 104
    dhkostadhkosta Posts: 150member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

Now let's see if all the Apple trolls on here who constantly deny and make up excuses for AT&T, that it is at the bottom of carriers as reported by Consumer Reports, will now back up this claim instead. Such hypocrisy!

Actually, Sprint is rated the worst, and by a significant margin.

That is, unless you're in New York or San Francisco. Then it's AT&T.
  • Reply 44 of 104
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by walshbj View Post

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

Nope, macs are for people who use their computers to work. PC's are for people who like spending hours doing no work: configuring the system, defragging, updating 100 3rd party softwares, ad infinitum.
  • Reply 45 of 104
    taurontauron Posts: 911member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Wow.

Im not sure I swallow the air, but I strongly agree with the macbook and macbook pros.

Just give me a 15" with a matte screen, and we will call it even.

NOTICE MR. COOKE, THAT THE MAC PRO IS NOT MENTIONED HERE?

Take a hint, and give us a reason to purchase one of your powerhouse comps (up the specs or down the price). I know its a luxury machine, but the macbook pros are as well. They just happen to be somewhat reasonably priced via the market based on build quality. The Mac Pros on the other hand are not. I wish for the old days, when the G5 Tower was just about the bestest tower you could get.

LOL! Mac Pros are not luxury machines. They are computers for serious work that requires serious computing power like scientific computing.

Now if you want to spend $3000 to play worlds of warcraft that is your prerogative.
  • Reply 46 of 104
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

I'm assuming that was sarcasm.
  • Reply 47 of 104
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Foo2 View Post

Too expensive is right! The HP dv3 (score 55) is about the same price as the plastic MacBook (score 55), yet the former uses an AMD processor. And the HP comes with Vista Homely edition, while the MacBook comes with Mac OS X Ultimate. Outrageous, HP.

Bingo!! In fact the price they quote has no soft ware at all except for vista.

So you end up spending 30 40 percent more .

Congrats apple !!!!

And too all those apple bashers, You guys suck . The proof is out and you still whine .
  • Reply 48 of 104
    Quote:

Those fools at Consumer Reports were tricked by the "pretty cases" on computers that have the "same guts" as every other computer. Don't they know Macs are for "idiots who can't operate a PC"?

I hope Consumer Reports made it clear that Macs aren't for technically savvy people. They're just for people who need a simple computer. You can't do anything complex with UNIX. Just surf and email photos.

• Reply 49 of 104
    brucepbrucep Posts: 2,823member
    the 15 in uni body fully loaded is the best lap top computer ever made .
  • Reply 50 of 104
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    Quote:

Man, guys like you it's what Microsoft needs to be alive. Please, do yourself a favor and before you'll make an opinion do a little research to know what are you going to talk about. Right now you just look as a complete ignorant.
  • Reply 51 of 104
    bageljoeybageljoey Posts: 2,004member
    Quote:

did this CR news come out before the stock market closed today? (I realize this hit AI after hours)

I got my issue of CR either Friday or Saturday, so the "news" was around before AI's article. I use the quotes for news because none of this is new information...
  • Reply 52 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

The main point, for the average consumer, is the extra 11 points worth 1300$?

To some, it will be. To the majority, cost is a major factor.

The average consumer should not be considering a Pro level machine in the first place.
  • Reply 53 of 104
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sausage&Onion View Post

Wow.

Im not sure I swallow the air, but I strongly agree with the macbook and macbook pros.

Just give me a 15" with a matte screen, and we will call it even.

NOTICE MR. COOKE, THAT THE MAC PRO IS NOT MENTIONED HERE?

Take a hint, and give us a reason to purchase one of your powerhouse comps (up the specs or down the price). I know its a luxury machine, but the macbook pros are as well. They just happen to be somewhat reasonably priced via the market based on build quality. The Mac Pros on the other hand are not. I wish for the old days, when the G5 Tower was just about the bestest tower you could get.

CONSUMER Reports is comparing computers that consumers are likely to purchase.

How many consumers need an 8-core Xeon Workstation?
  • Reply 54 of 104
    rokkenrokken Posts: 236member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cycomiko View Post

So 700 is a simlar price range to 2000? That just seems an utterly bizzare comparison.

Well, it can still be construed as an Apple tax, its just a tax they put to use...

(besides improving their shareholders, and their own bankbalance)

did they use OS in their evaluations?

He said "Consumer Reports doesn't look at cost as a simple issue. they look at the value behind the cost." so I guess he means CR doesn't compare two products in two different price ranges directly, but the value behind them in their respective price ranges and give the ratings.
  • Reply 55 of 104
    phalanxphalanx Posts: 109member
    This is the Brand Reliability tab on the same Consumer Reports writeup.

lower the number the better.

Laptop computers

Sony ====================18

Lenovo (IBM) ===============18

Compaq ==================18

Toshiba ==================18

Dell =========================20

Gateway ======================20

Apple ========================20

Hewlett-Packard ===================21

Sounds like for more money does not translate into quality!
  • Reply 56 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by teckstud View Post

AS an Apple shareholder why the hell would you ever admit wanting any of those other stocks?

Um.... you really do not understand basic English, do you?
  • Reply 57 of 104
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    Quote:

hahah!

2nd.

Techstud, did this CR news come out before the stock market closed today? (I realize this hit AI after hours)

2nd my comment above.
  • Reply 58 of 104
    teckstudteckstud Posts: 6,476member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macnyc View Post

Figures that you would be the first to post something negative and irrelevant. Thanks for not disappointing us.

Wrong. It's totally relevant. You can't have it both ways.
  • Reply 59 of 104
    istinkistink Posts: 250member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tauron View Post

Nope, macs are for people who use their computers to work. PC's are for people who like spending hours doing no work: configuring the system, defragging, updating 100 3rd party softwares, ad infinitum.

People like you don't exactly make good points in a discussion like this. Everything you post is ill-thought and uninformed. I highly suggest educating yourself on the subject matter before speaking about it the way you do.

Let me make it clear so you can understand it; If you were on the other end of the spectrum, your post would be something like, "PC's are for any business trying to make money, and scientists who want to make breakthroughs in their field. Macs are for people who like spending a ton of money on nothing, all so they can obtain a status symbol." See how biased and uninformed that statement is?
  • Reply 60 of 104
    Quote:

And you're wasting all your computer power + your amazing technical savviness to spend time posting a Ballmer-styled rant.

Windows users, however, do find some things to be even easier with their machines. Most malware installs and runs itself with very little attention from the user. That's the easy way to become an idiot who can't operate a PC.