Apple hit with class action suit over fire-prone MagSafe adapters

Comments

• Reply 81 of 106
    physicsphysics Posts: 24member
    Somebody I know who has a MBP has warned me that this would happen to my MBP's PS, as it has happened to him a couple of times already. It does look to me as if the plastic sheath is suffering stress fatigue from repeated flexing of a small-radius bend around the wire. As has been mentioned, this is likely due to excessively tight wrapping of the cord around the PS when it is put away. A couple of solutions would be to:

a) start the cable wrap loosely around the PS

b) spiral wrap some white(for appearance sake) adhesive tape around the first 1" to 1 1/2"of the cable as it

exits from the PS.

The tape solution would relieve the stress from being concentrated in the area near the PS by widening the radius of curvature of the cable's bend. I would do the tape wrap at both ends, where the cable is attached to either the PS body or the connector end. It would seem to me that the simplest solution for Apple would be to have either a spring or rubber stress-relieving sheath applied at both ends of the cable, especially given that this cable is subject to quite a lot of flexing in normal daily use.
  • Reply 82 of 106
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

The problem is that it looks like you got unhinged on the wrong person because that person didn't say what you think they said. You're reading in so much that you're more or less reading into it what you wanted to see. Or it was as if you were unloading all of your baggage on the wrong person. I will quote the post that you responded to:

I think all your accusations against Julio look to be false, assumed or trumped up and really make you look like the jerk here, not Julio.

Ok. Fair enough.
  • Reply 83 of 106
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Zaphodsplanet View Post

I think apple should do this.....

Say..... would you please back up your computer and send it to us.

Then... give them a full refund and keep the computer.... give them a check and a letter that says they have proved that they are entirely TOO STUPID to own a COMPUTER.

LOL! That sounds like a plan.

I'm sure Apple's Legal Department has been busy over the past few months. Apple is constantly either being sued or suing someone. I guess what goes around comes around.
  • Reply 84 of 106
    trajectorytrajectory Posts: 647member
    Quote:

I think all your accusations against Julio look to be false, assumed or trumped up and really make you look like the jerk here, not Julio.

A Mod calling someone a jerk? Hmmm. I guess that's why there are so many other ad-hominem attacks here, because even the Mods are doing it. I wish this was better moderated, the name-calling contributes nothing but animosity and just generates more personal attacks.

Are ad-hominem attacks against the rules here or not??
  • Reply 85 of 106
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Trajectory View Post

A Mod calling someone a jerk? Hmmm. I guess that's why there are so many other ad-hominem attacks here, because even the Mods are doing it. I wish this was better moderated, the name-calling contributes nothing but animosity and just generates more personal attacks.

Are ad-hominem attacks against the rules here or not??

Personal attacks is the only rule that AI enforces, outside of spam and such, but pedantically speaking JeffDM's post didn't state that Quadro was a jerk, only that his post made him look like a jerk. Seriously though, in 2009 calling someone a jerk on an internet forum is about as un-insulting as one can get.

PS: You're a jerk!
  • Reply 86 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personal attacks are the only rule that AI enforces, outside of spam and such, but pedantically speaking JeffDM's post didn't sat that Quadro as a jerk, but that it makes him look like a jerk. But in 2009 calling someone a jerk on an internet forum is about as un-insulting as one can get.

Thanks, I was trying to be very careful about how I worded it.
  • Reply 87 of 106
    dr. slumpdr. slump Posts: 5member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by roehlstation View Post

This then is a problem with ALL cables. Any cord that is bent TOO far by definition exceeds it's design intent.

If bending a cable through normal use detroys it, that's bad design.
  • Reply 88 of 106
    justflybobjustflybob Posts: 1,337member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Personal attacks are the only rule that AI enforces, outside of spam and such, but pedantically speaking JeffDM's post didn't state that Quadro was a jerk, only that his post made him look like a jerk. Seriously though, in 2009 calling someone a jerk on an internet forum is about as un-insulting as one can get.

We're all bozos (jerks) on this bus (forum).
  • Reply 89 of 106
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

A new lawsuit seeking class action status has accused Apple of neglecting a flaw in the MagSafe power connector for MacBooks that might not only cause a break but could trigger sparks, forcing customers to buy replacements and even creating a potential fire hazard.

makes me wonder if they ever looked on apple's site or went in with a genius bar appointment to have the adapter examined. because there are conditions in which they will replace the adapter even out of warranty if you actually have it looked at.
  • Reply 90 of 106
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Quote:

Thanks, I was trying to be very careful about how I worded it.

careful wording is nice but what's even nicer is to dress down parties in private so the rest of us don't have to play witness to it.

just a thought.
  • Reply 91 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

careful wording is nice but what's even nicer is to dress down parties in private so the rest of us don't have to play witness to it.

just a thought.

What... and leave me out of the fun?

I'm hear to learn as much I'm here for the blood sport. Unfortunately JeffDM is the most objective regular poster on these boards so you'll be hard pressed to even find him using a hyperbolic absolute in a comment, much less taking jabs at other posters.
  • Reply 92 of 106
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    I am an Apple fan from the original Mac 128K, and a stock holder. As such I get pretty rankled by a lot of the frivolous law suits.

But here I say "GO FOR IT!" Apple has had ample opportunity to fix this, and they have ignored it.

I have the original MB Pro, one of the first in the country in March 2006, and I have been hearing about this problem since then. It is a crying shame that Apple has not fixed this, as I am sure it has led to a lot of bad will on the part of many customers. The only reason I have not had t replace my charger is that as soon as I heard of the problem I wrapped the mag-safe plug with duct tape as a precaution. Still, it is not going to last much longer.

Two things bother me about this. Not only is there the rather expensive cost of replacing the charger, but if you have to throw out a perfectly good charge simply because the cord has broken, then it is a dreadful waste, just when Apple is trying to set an example for E-consciousness.

Dave - the solution to this planned obsolescence is really VERY simple:

1- take the existing reinforcement section at the plug and make it 30% thicker and twice as long, and

2- instead of having a unified, permanent attachment at the charger, have the mag-safe cord plug into it. This will allow the user to replace only the cord if necessary. No one will be upset at that.

I do not expect this to last as long as my cast iron skillets and dutch oven (going on 35 years now), but when the solution is so easy.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

At least that is what I understood, that is the power supplies would be either repaired or replaced no questions asked.

As to things wearing out, well if Apple can solve that problem they could very well own the world. There isn't a know way to make anything last forever. The closest we have come is the cast iron frying pan, everything else has limited durability.

As a side note if Apple focuses to much on making the environmentalist happy you can expect even more durability problems in the future. Not that I support pollution just that sometimes the environmentalist have ill advised policies.

Dave

• Reply 93 of 106
    jmmxjmmx Posts: 341member
    Just for the sake of clarification:

Like I said, my cord started fraying at the plug after about a year of use. I used the machine daily but seldom took it out of the house when not traveling (maybe 80 days of of the year). In all, since I used an external keyboard, the unit went for weeks on end without being moved an inch. I tried to avoid pulling on the cord when I did need to remove it, tho it was tempting since the plug is kind of small. It became a more serious problem when my daughter started using it as she would use it on her lap most of the time. This means that the cord would be moved a lot as she moved.

All in all, this is what I would call normal usage of the computer.

The fact is hillstones, you have absolutely no way of knowing how people used their computers and whether they ever pulled on the cord or not. To make such vehement, categorical statements as you do and then insult people on your own concocted evidence is the hight of stupidity. I would suggest sir, that it is YOU who are the idiot!

I maintain my OPINION that there is a real design flaw here that could be easily fixed.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

This problem with the MagSafe adapters is caused by idiots that are pulling on the cord instead of the connector. Any power cord is a hazard when you damage it from abuse. All power cords for any product have the same warning: Do not pull on the cord to unplug it.

hillstones is offline Report Post \tReply With Quote.

• Reply 94 of 106
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Well, I guess I'll submit that the average user shouldn't have to know that cords can be fragile and handled carefully. Perhaps Apple should account for their cords being put through as much abuse as any other cords. Sometimes they do get yanked, dropped, tangled, and the worst of all: wound too tightly. I mean, notebooks are for travelling and mobile use in general. It might not be easy to strike a balalnce between slim/thin form factor of cords and their durability but I'd imagine that wear-amd-tear should be accounted for in any case.

Then again, this issue is hardly widespread, So I'm not sure what these cords are going through, exactly. They seem to be "special cases" for some reason. It's unsettling, I'll admit, that even with lhome use a certain number od these cords apparently go bad. It doesn't make sense but there you have it.
  • Reply 95 of 106
    akhomerunakhomerun Posts: 386member
    ugh i hope the class wins/settles this lawsuit, my magsafe adapter is deteriorating fast and i don't know why apple can't make an adapter that lasts longer than a year and a half like the rest of the pc industry.

I DON'T CARE if it looks cool the plastic they are using is GARBAGE! the cables are way too thin and flimsy! why doesn't apple have a line of products for people who don't give a crap about prettiness? yes i know it would be a pretty bad idea but it's in my apple dreamland.
  • Reply 96 of 106
    gadgetoidgadgetoid Posts: 30member
    Both mine and my partners power cables started pulling out of the MagSafe connector head. We've had one replaced free already (whilst we were still under guarantee), and now the other one is held together tentatively with electrical tape.

They are, pure and simple, incredibly flimsy as a direct result of their diminutive design and have both failed within about 1 year as a result of ordinary wear and tear. We don't yank them out by the cable, but do use the laptops like "lap" "tops".

On the flip side, I've got Laptop cables that are in excess of 10 years old that are still as good as new. A good example, that which came with the VAIO PictureBook (http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...ZL._AA160_.jpg) has lasted fine.

Back on the Apple side of things, my iPhone 3g USB cable has failed at the iPhone end in a way very similar to MagSafe adaptors, unsurprising considering their slight similarities and shared almost complete lack of any cable security. By contrast, my old iPod cable, which has a flexible and durable plastic sheath around the point where it joins with the connector, is still fine.

Interestingly, both of these cables also share an incredibly small connector that does not lend itself well to being grasped when pulled out. Although the MagSafe, in its defence, can very easily be removed by tilting it, rather than pulling it straight out.

Old style: http://www.macblogz.com/Media/2008/11/ipodconn.jpg

New style: https://www.krcs.co.uk/images/librar...pple_ma591.jpg

Are you seeing the difference?
  • Reply 97 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Gadgetoid View Post

Interestingly, both of these cables also share an incredibly small connector that does not lend itself well to being grasped when pulled out. Although the MagSafe, in its defence, can very easily be removed by tilting it, rather than pulling it straight out.

It is aesthetically pleasing that they went smaller but it does pretty much force me to use the cable to unplug it. The rubber is frayed on both ends is ripped on both ends on my cord, but it still works.
  • Reply 98 of 106
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

just a thought.

Sorry, it escalated to more than I thought it would be, it didn't occur to me to do it by PM.
  • Reply 99 of 106
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Dr. Slump View Post

If bending a cable through normal use detroys it, that's bad design.

I was responding to the person that said this happens if you bend it "too far", by definition, bending something "too far" exceeds the design specification.

What I find interesting in every case where I've seen pictures of this incident the cable was obviously not very well taken care of. I'll always see nicks in the cable and chips in the MagSafe plug. In each of those pictures the cable looked worn enough that it would have happened to pretty much any cable out there. When this happens to a brand new cable out of the box, let us know.

Just so everyone is aware...LiteON is the maker of these AC Adapters
  • Reply 100 of 106
    libertyforalllibertyforall Posts: 1,418member
    Why not make just a bit more graduated strain-relief? i.e. thicker and then gradually thinner, and extend it a bit...