Apple begins stress testing iPhone 3.0 push notifications

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 30
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Sometimes, for the first generation, they just have to get it working well enough. Then they can get the GUI down pat. I wouldn't expect it to be perfect at first.
  • Reply 22 of 30
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Are there any special requirements for getting this code? I'm a paid developer, I'm using Beta 5 SDK/OS.

Never got this e-mail/promo code? Anyone else?
  • Reply 23 of 30
    fulldecentfulldecent Posts: 108member
    Easy. Less verbose notification when the Silent switch is on.
  • Reply 24 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Are there any special requirements for getting this code? I'm a paid developer, I'm using Beta 5 SDK/OS.

Never got this e-mail/promo code? Anyone else?

Luck of the draw. So far I’ve only received one notification from AP News.

It also looks like the per-app settings will be in place from the start.

(click each photo for full size)
  • Reply 25 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by str1f3 View Post

I don't think it's a good idea. If the news app is so worthless, then why bother to have a notification in the first place. You have to sift through eleven pages of apps just to see the badge above the icon.

As for IM's, there will be constant stream of popups on the screen and I can see that getting annoying very quickly especially when you may be doing something more important. I can also see sound alerts getting annoying when listening to music. You could very easily be in a situation when you can have more than 3 apps running notifications. Maybe 5 or 6. I can see a situation like this being a real headache.

I think it would be poor way to go about it. There has to be some kind of unified system instead of everything being a scattershot. As for background processes, one day the iPhone will have to have the ability to do two things at once. The best solution is to have both the PNS and background apps but current hardware can't support the latter for third party apps.

Apple is usually far better than this when it comes to UI. I hope they surprise us with something special at WWDC. If you're reading this Apple, FIX THIS!

I still don't think you understand the versatility of the options. You need to mentally break it down and understand that all 3 options are 3 completely different push notifications

1. Alert (Pop Up) - for the Apps that you wish to receive immediate short message updates from.

2. Sound Prompt - to alert you audibly that a new message/update/item is available from the particular app.

3. Badge - for the Apps that you wish receive a submit numerical reminder of the number of new updates/messages/items waiting for you within a particular app.

------

Depending on your usage, these three options provide for completely different experiences.

The point is it doesn't have to be one way or another, each user has ability to use it as they wish.

Its really unfair the way this Push Notification system has been written off by everyone as being too little too late, when really its the perfect balance between the need for apps to receive and notify from the background, and preserving battery life. No I don't work for Apple. Its common sense.
  • Reply 26 of 30
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

Luck of the draw. So far I?ve only received one notification from AP News.

It also looks like the per-app settings will be in place from the start.

(click each photo for full size)

Thank you for posting these images and showing everyone what I'm talking about
  • Reply 27 of 30
    hezekiahbhezekiahb Posts: 448member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by hailstorm View Post

It would be nice to see Apple support XMPP for their instant messaging service rather than use the AIM protocol. Would unify things nicely.

Agreed, then this might also push AOL & others to move from their proprietary garbage to XMPP & also boost some of the development of XMPP. We use OpenFire for our company Jabber service, would be nice to get some renewed interest by Apple into XMPP cause iChat Jabber service is junk!
  • Reply 28 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pmz View Post

I still don't think you understand the versatility of the options. You need to mentally break it down and understand that all 3 options are 3 completely different push notifications

1. Alert (Pop Up) - for the Apps that you wish to receive immediate short message updates from.

2. Sound Prompt - to alert you audibly that a new message/update/item is available from the particular app.

3. Badge - for the Apps that you wish receive a submit numerical reminder of the number of new updates/messages/items waiting for you within a particular app.

------

Depending on your usage, these three options provide for completely different experiences.

The point is it doesn't have to be one way or another, each user has ability to use it as they wish.

Its really unfair the way this Push Notification system has been written off by everyone as being too little too late, when really its the perfect balance between the need for apps to receive and notify from the background, and preserving battery life. No I don't work for Apple. Its common sense.

I think a distinction should be made between "push" and "notification." I don't disagree that Apple's push implementation may quite nice, and a good way of getting some of the functionality of background apps without the battery hit.

However, If I have a lot of push enabled apps, no matter how I divvy up my notifications I'm still going to have to choose between having to go hunt for badge notification or being interrupted in whatever I'm doing.

Pop-ups are the worst offender, but a constant barrage of audio alerts aren't much better.

While I don't think Apple has to abandon the options they're providing now, it would be very nice to have some kind of low key, on-screen-but-not-invasive alert that could link to a unified new activity page.

That way, I don't have to choose between burying the information on a fifth app screen or being annoyed.
  • Reply 29 of 30
    solipsismsolipsism Posts: 25,726member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by addabox View Post

However, If I have a lot of push enabled apps, no matter how I divvy up my notifications I'm still going to have to choose between having to go hunt for badge notification or being interrupted in whatever I'm doing.

Pop-ups are the worst offender, but a constant barrage of audio alerts aren't much better.

I?d wager that the best you?ll get is being able to turn off the annoying notifications from individual apps, as shown above.
  • Reply 30 of 30
    addaboxaddabox Posts: 12,665member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by solipsism View Post

I?d wager that the best you?ll get is being able to turn off the annoying notifications from individual apps, as shown above.

Yep, looks like it. But I hope that Apple is working on a unified notification page, ala a "Today" page that can be toggled as a home screen in preferences. Just makes to much sense to ignore.

But, being Apple, who knows? Maybe the idea runs athwart of some Jobsian theory of Zen economy.